Xml
Item Posts   

Lifespan of tires on Grand Caravan

| 
toomanytires toomanytires
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 03/13/11
05:09 PM

I own a 2006 Grand Caravan. I had to replace the first set of tires after 3 years and 32,000 miles. Now the front tires are at 4/32 in less than 2 years and just 22,000 miles. The dealer tells me this is typical for minivans. Is this true? How much lifespan should I expect from tires that are properly inflated and rotated?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 03/13/11
08:13 PM

i just had to look..  i thought you posted.. livespan of tires on the Grand Canyon...  i think i will get up and wash my eye glasses now..  perhaps even go out and get a new pair...

stick around.. you will probably get an excellent answer in the next week or so...

you might want to post.. exactly what brand and model tires you are running...

and what kind of pavement you are driving on..

mostly smooth concrete...

freshly resurfaced and grooved concrete...

old asphalt...

asphalt made with black volcanic rock...  some states in the northwest use this as its easily available.. it has really shape edges.. tears the rubber right off the surface of tires.  

CapriRacer CapriRacer
Enthusiast | Posts: 293 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 03/14/11
04:07 AM

First, it sounds like you didn't rotate your tires.  My experience says that the front tires on a FWD wear 2 1/2 times faster than the rear tires.  That means the rears will go 55K - sounds more reasonable, doesn't it!

Second, tire wear is very dependent on how much time you spend driving straight ahead, vs how many corners you take.  Put another way, highway driving is practically free (from a tire wear perspective) - It's the corners that wear tires.

Third,  tire wear is also dependent on the properties of the tire.  Treadwear, traction, and fuel economy are the three tradeoffs when it comes to the tread compound.

You can get tires that wear great but are not very good for fuel economy.  You can get tires that are great for fuel economy, but not so good for wear or traction.  You can get tires that really grip the road, but they will not wear well, and they consume fuel.

I hope you see there isn't a single answer to your question.  So if you want better tire wear - rotate your tires more often, check your pressure regularly ("They" say monthly!), get yourself a set of long wearing tires, then be prepared to lose a little fuel economy.  Oh, and be sure to look at your alignment!  

tire-aid.com tire-aid.com
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 04/20/11
06:00 AM

It sounds like you have purchased a tire that doesn't give you a lot of mileage. Sometimes when purchasing a softer, quieter tire your sacrificing high mileage. You should try out the Michelin Hydroedge tire. It's warranty guarantees 90,000 miles  

imasmokeu92 imasmokeu92
New User | Posts: 20 | Joined: 08/11
Posted: 08/28/11
12:22 AM

if you buy a decent tire,you alignment is good,rotate every 6k miles and drive normal you will get max life on tires.City driving does lower the life faster then highway.The tires on my truck are rated for 50k and i got 35k out of them(there an aggressive tred style) i work at a shop so my alignment is dead on and i always rotate them but i do only city driving.One of my customers got 70k miles out of the same tire,20k more then the warranty,same size on the same style truck but he only drives on the highway so that's why they lasted him so much longer  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Dodge Grand Caravan
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Minivan/Van
Rating:
N

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com