Xml
Item Posts   

Looking to buy a lift...

| 
godon2wheels godon2wheels
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 03/02/11
01:26 PM

I'm in the market to buy a lift for my garage.  My buddy has a Benpack, but I don't have that type of budget.  Anyone have any suggestions or brands that I should look at?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4547 | Joined: 08/09
02:07 PM

i would surf this link....

http://pten.com/

its the professional tools and equipment news....   they will have decent info and reviews on the various types of lifts...

harbor freight sells lifts...

on the autozone site... click on the professional link to get to that side.. there is a quartly tool flyer there with a great selection of tools including lifts...

there are also a lot of them showing up on Craigs list...

warning....       most garage floors at homes are not thick enough to properly support a 2 post lift..   they will a 4 post lift...

so .. if a 2 post lift in in your idea bank... you might want to get a carbide tipped drill *** drill through your concrete till you hit dirt...    then  bend a short L shape into a  wire ... stick it through the hole to feel where the bottom of the concrete is...

you can get a stack of concrete cutting blades for a cheep circle saw....   cut the center of the concrete floor out... at least a 4 foot wide section....    cut another slot 2 inches in. from the edge of the totally through cut.. 1/3 the thickness of the existing slab...   then cut the side... or hammer from the side to make a short shelf...    dig out the center to about 8 to 10 inches deep...   lay in some 4 inch steel concrete wire reinforcement... support it off the dirt 2 inches with little concrete blocks with tie wires to hold them in place...    then repour the center section...  using a fairly strong concrete mix...  there are trailer mixes available.. where you buy a small batch and bring it back in a tilt trailer..   places that have that will also have the tools push the gravel down into the concrete...  and finish it to the level of the existing floor.. if it is totally level... as measured with a laser... you can also preset the  anchor bolts...   if you rig up a plywood holder to keep them straight..

yes.. its a lot of work... but i had another friend not follow ... and the whole thing tipped over when he got the first car up off center...     he thought he knew everything..  i don't.. but i know enough to be dangerous...  and to be safe...

you might also want to dig some holes directly under the posts... so there is some significant concrete directly under the base... but a 6 or 8 inch slab will work..  i just like to be safe.. read installation instructions..  prior to buying the hoist..

you can also.. with some forward thinking.. build plywood forms.. just slightly larger than the foot of the hoist.. so you can install them.. and any cross device.. level with the surface of the concrete...  

waynep7122 waynep7122
02:10 PM

this is the link for the autozone.com

http://www.autozonepro.com/

right in the middle is where to click.. for the equipment quarterly..

here is the harbor freight link

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=lift

if you have a professional shop floor.. which you might.. you only need to check the floor thickness and for level with a laser..  

godon2wheels godon2wheels
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 03/03/11
06:37 AM

Wayne,

Thank you very much for the advice.  I definitely am going to take it, and let someone who knows what they are doing with concrete come in and do it right.  Good links.  I also found this company while searching on ebay, but I haven't looked through all their lifts yet.  Think I'll probably go with a baseplate version.

http://www.completehydraulic.com/lifts-all-auto-lifts.html

I'm going to keep researching and looking for the best deal on for a quality lift, though.  I don't need the lift tomorrow, but I don't want to wait forever either.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and point me in the right direction.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Posted: 03/03/11
09:25 AM

last thing i forgot to mention... there are tire store equipment  suppliers around who stock some lifts.... you can get a good deal from them as they buy several at a time to save freight from the manufacturer...   which could be significant..

there are also a LOT of car dealers and other repair shops closing..  a lot of really good deals on removed equipment..  

jameshamiltonmechanic jameshamiltonmechanic
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/17
Posted: 03/23/17
05:39 AM

I use https://garageequipmentonline.com great bunch of guys, great kit and awesome service.
Hope this helps..... Laugh  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: