Ad Radar

Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

How to disconnect the plug on the camshaft position sensor?

| 
Pcdoctorbigs Pcdoctorbigs
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/31/11
01:29 PM

I have a 2003 Nissan Sentra Limit Edition and the camshaft position sensor requires changing.  I am not sure how the wire connector to it gets disconnected.  I look at the online manual I purchased but no help there along with having a parts store try to assist me in looking at the manual which also give us no answers.  Can somehow tell me how to remove this connector?  Thanks so much in advance.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
02:12 PM

looking at the cam sensor online.. i see a notch for the connector to catch onto opposite side from the sensor retaining bolt...

this would indicate to me.. that the latch finger on the connector body is also on the side opposite the sensor bolt . but right on the center line...  many nissan connectors unhook the same way... there may be a tiny lever to push that is on center .. but closer to where the wires plug into the terminal body...

there may also be a LOCK device wedged into the connector to prevent it from becoming unplugged...  look for something red or blue that will have to be examined and gently removed..  

02:12 PM

I just found an online article where this mechanic said in order to remove his vehicle's component he squeezed it in order for it to release.  Is this how to release this Nissan's camshaft position sensor connector?  

02:23 PM

Thanks for the information but on this vehicle the top side is flat but rounded along with both sides.  I have not looked on the bottom side yet.  Next chance I get I am going to get a mirror and see what the bottom side looks like which is where the bolt is that connects it to the car and to the camshaft.  I just read an article online that said this machanic was able to remove his vehicle's connector by squeezing it.  This connector seems quite solid so I am not so sure this would be the way Nissan made this connector to be released.  I see no such latch finger or any tiny levers to push.  I do not see a locking device that would prevent it from being unplugged or any thing that is red or blue.  Any other suggestions?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
02:38 PM

i think there was a recall on that sensor.. where nissan will install it for free...

there are so many styles of connectors... without seeing it in person.. its hard to say...

nissan will probably change it for free....

found it...

Nissancamterminal  

08:37 PM

Icon QuotePcdoctorbigs:
I have a 2003 Nissan Sentra Limit Edition and the camshaft position sensor requires changing.  I am not sure how the wire connector to it gets disconnected.  I look at the online manual I purchased but no help there along with having a parts store try to assist me in looking at the manual which also give us no answers.  Can somehow tell me how to remove this connector?  Thanks so much in advance.

I found out by trial and error that this connector is released by pushing it in at the very bottom a green internal push type plastic slider (sort of hidden) that finally released the connector from the camshaft position sensor.  It was not the so called 99% that was either squeeze, spread, or unscrew to get it to release.  I removed this sensor and replaced it in about 15 minutes.  Thanks  

08:44 PM

Icon Quotewaynep7122:
i think there was a recall on that sensor.. where nissan will install it for free...

there are so many styles of connectors... without seeing it in person.. its hard to say...

nissan will probably change it for free....

found it...

Nissancamterminal

Thanks!!!  Free????  That was exactly how it was released.  My wife took her car by Nissan earlier today and of course they did not want to do anything.  For some reason the Nissan dealers here are not very helpful when it comes to recalls.  I used my CarMD to find out what was wrong with this vehicle and there are many service bulletins and a few safety recalls but like I mentioned we have nothing but challenges with getting Nissan to do anything for free.  Thanks again for finding the correct solution.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com