Xml
Item Posts   

Sold a car but owner did not register it and we keep getting tickets

| 
tanyakut tanyakut
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 11/10/10
04:46 PM

My daughter had a used car for a year. She sold it on September,2 2010 through CraigsList for $950. The guy, who bought it, came to our house. All our family (5 people) plus my daughter's 3 friends were present in the house. The guy paid money to my daughter and they both signed California Certificate of Title. The buyer took his part and we had our part that we sent to DMV. As it turned our later, DMV did not get our paper and we did not make a copy. The new owner did not register his car. We filed REG 138, Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability online one month after the transfer has been made when we got the first ticket in the mail. Then the next ticket came..I don't really know what should be done? Should we take a guy in a small court? My daughter called the guy and asked him to pay but he just laughed at her.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 11/12/10
07:00 AM

this is a sticky point.. the DMV is running slow on paperwork...  they probably have it.. but its just taking time to be processed...

there are forms online that are active instantly..

call the ticketing agency..  talk to them..  you may have to visit them in person..  do you have any emails from the craigs list ad that you can prove you had the car for sale..

depending upon the location..  you might also want to keep an eye on her credit reports.. i have heard that some ticket collection companies are posting non payed tickets to the credit reporting agencies..

if you have his phone number.. call him again.. but set up a recorder..   turn his phone number over to the ticket agency..

be sure to have DMV cancel the registration ... as he has failed to register the car ...  be sure to notify your insurance company.. that the car was sold.. and the new owner did not register it..  if its in a crash.. it might come back to bite you hard...

the DMV will suspend the registration when the car insurance drops... but if he got insurance.. in his name.. the insurance company or the DMV will find him...    you might have to talk to a DMV supervisor.... be nice.. their pay has been cut..

the insurance company may search the owner out via the VIN number and contact his insurance company...  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com