1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

2011 Chevy Equinox - poor gas mileage

| 
11Equinox 11Equinox
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/16/11
08:15 AM

Anyone else disappointed with the gas mileage on their 2011 Equinox?  There are a lot of things I like about the vehicle, but the gas mileage is no where near what is advertised.  I bought the 4 cylinder that's supposed to get 32 on the highway.  I'd be happy with mileage in the high 20's.  So far the best highway mileage I've been able to get is 24.  Usually closer to 22.  Anyone else having better luck or is this the norm?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 01/16/11
09:03 AM

....   hmm.....

i have wondered about real fuel mileage for decades...

i wonder if the fuels used are oxygenated with alcohol or blended with MTBE like many were...

i wonder how many people have read about high fructose corn syrup.??  its made in ethanol plants..  the high fructose corn syrup is a byproduct that they have to haul away...

so   are we getting ethanol blended fuels to help stretch the gas supply.. or to help produce high fructose corn syrup as a lower price so the companies selling it to food producers can make more profit.

the MTBE was a CON job..  somebody came up with the formula...   got the air districts to approve as it tested with reduced emissions ... the governor of california (pete wilson at the time ) signed off on it.. in the public eye that it will reduce emissions by up to 30%...  what it did was reduce fuel economy by up to 30%.. so you have to buy 30% more fuel per mile driven.. and pay 30% more tax to for the mile driven...  after several years .. the MTBE was found in the drinking water of many cities that used ground water..  then .. the patent was granted on the mandated formula... and the owner of that patent ask for the royalty to be payed at the refinery level of 20 to 25 cents per gallon..    talk about a con...   how many billions of dollars were payed to the oil companies by the reduced fuel economy of our cars and trucks..

one thing you can *** plug in a scan tool.... get into the live data stream...     look at your long term fuel trims.. along with the rest of the data streams...  the long term fuel trims should be within a few percentage points of 0...

there is one thing that i have been thinking about..  on OBD2 cars.. more fuel is required to keep the cats at operating temp...   i was thinking of having my pre cat exhaust system lined with a ceramic coating..  this would keep the exhaust stream hotter into the cats and reduce the need for the tiny bit of excess fuel to keep the cats hot..   they have to hold the air fuel ratio at a very tight percentage to keep the cats operating at optimal levels..

there is actual combustion happing inside the cats as the gasses react with the various rare metals in the monolith block..  (think honeycomb.. but much smaller opening)

if you do a lot of highway miles.. up and down hills.. or in heavy traffic.. try to drive it without the cruise control.. and keep your foot on the gas pedal as steady as you can..  moving only a tiny amount.. keeping an even space between the car in front of you and the one behind..   if traffic is surging..   lay back.. let a space build up in front of you do you don't rush up and stop...  then have to accelerate ...   it will not only smooth out your drive.. tweak off the guy behind you for about a minute.. until he realizes.. that he is not stopping and starting like the rest of the traffic is..  the guy 10 cars back will also like you eventually..  as the traffic will flow smoother...

i hope this helps...  

tech70 tech70
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/17/11
05:00 PM

Icon Quote11Equinox:
Anyone else disappointed with the gas mileage on their 2011 Equinox?  There are a lot of things I like about the vehicle, but the gas mileage is no where near what is advertised.  I bought the 4 cylinder that's supposed to get 32 on the highway.  I'd be happy with mileage in the high 20's.  So far the best highway mileage I've been able to get is 24.  Usually closer to 22.  Anyone else having better luck or is this the norm?

Absolutely....same exact experience. Am a cautious, cheap butt driver. Just bought month ago. Two tanks, same result, not even 22mph. Have been running in eco mode, as well. I now miss my Blazer a lot.  

J V Ketzenberger J V Ketzenberger
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/18/11
09:08 AM

Okay first off I want to stress something here, the mileage you are looking for is very possible, if the car is driven in a consistent manner.  Secondly there is a breaking in period that must take place (between 3 and 5 thousand miles) before you will realize total economy. Also Eco Mode is not a driving around town mode, you want to use that more on the highway, if you are driving around town with it on it may actually be detrimental to your fuel economy.  This being said there are a couple of questions I have; 1) are you towing anything at all with this vehicle, or are you carrying anything that is heavy in the cargo compartment?  2) Are you monitoring your instantaneous mileage monitor?  These cars are made to "learn" your driving style and will adapt to perform accordingly.  For what it is worth I have customers who get better than advertised mileage, and customers that get less than advertised, the difference being in the way they drive the cars.  It is not out of the realm of possibility however there may be something wrong with the car, take it to a certified GM mechanic and let them take a look just to be sure.  Just my two cents and far from gospel I hope it helps a little or a lot.  
Jamie: (260) 925-3715 I sell new and used cars in NE Indiana. You have a friend in the car business!

11Equinox 11Equinox
Posted: 01/22/11
08:02 AM

The vehicle is broken in with highway miles.  Just over 6k miles now.  I can't even get 32 miles to the gallon monitoring the instantaneous mileage driving on a flat highway at 60 miles per hour.  Best I get doing that is around 27 or 28.  I've thought about taking it to the dealership, but really doubted they would be able to offer much help.  

11Equinox 11Equinox
08:05 AM

I got better gas mileage in my minivan that had the big six cylinder and lots more room inside!  (just I just admit to owning a minivan at one time?  Blush )  

mcluclm mcluclm
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/11
03:16 PM

I just got off the phone with GM customer service and told them the same complaint.  The best I have had was 25 mpg; currently at 24.2 mpg & average speed of 49 mph.  Geno from GM said, "This is the first I heard of it."  He said it takes 5000 miles for new car break in -- I have 5600.  He asked me to reset the avg mpg  and speed.  He will call me back in 5 days to see if anything has changed.  I will let you know what happens.  

mcluclm mcluclm
03:22 PM

If you want to complain to GM Customer service about the less than expected fuel economy, then call 1-866-790-5600 - since "I am the first complaint he heard about this."  

fireabcxzz fireabcxzz
11:23 PM

This is a 2010 Equinox FWD 4 cyc with 7,000 miles. On flat Ohio Turnpike which I drive often,using cruise control, resetting avg gas mileage while actually going down the road, I get about 25 mpg. Very frustrating as the great gas mileage was one of the top reasons I bought this car. Last 5 new cars I have owned I have obtained at or above the advertised highway mpg so I know it is not me. With this history of car ownership I was obviously expecting the same MPG with the Equinox. Wondering how GM gets away with this?? So as to sell their new SUV? I wonder if they will give me a poor mileage rebate check every month....ha. Must be some way to make a formal complaint about false advertising as the forums are loaded with complaints about poor gas mileage on this car. Mad  

caharbaugh caharbaugh
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/27/11
09:20 AM

I'm extremely disappointed.  I bought my 2011 Equinox a few weeks ago.  After the first tank of gas, I thought perhaps it had not been filled the entire way by the dealer, which would explain the poor mileage.  Now, I'm thoroughly convinced that the car does not meet the mpg claim of 22/32.  Granted, I drive in congested Los Angeles but I'm not even getting 22.  What's most infuriating is that I switched from my 2000 Chrysler 300M V-6, which gets about the same mileage as this sluggish 4 cylinder.    

I'm inclined to file a formal complaint or pursue some legal action.  Please respond if you're inclined to do the same.

Craig H.  

TWIII TWIII
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/04/11
11:41 AM

I'm smoking hot furious.   I have over 4,000 miles on my 2011 Equinox, and can't get better than 23 mpg; and that's babying it.  

I believe this is tested by the government, and they publish the posted mileage ratings.  

But something is wrong; there's no way it can get 22/32.  

sonnyh777 sonnyh777
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/12/11
03:15 PM

I have the same problem. Just took a trip to Florida on straight flat roads and could only get 23 mpg. I miss my Impala that had a six cyl and I got 32 - 34 mpg. I am very dissapointed... I have 5000 miles on it. I haven't heard of anyone getting 32 mpg. I was planning on a cross country trip until I realized that the mpg isn't up to the advertised figures.  

sonnyh777 sonnyh777
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/12/11
03:26 PM

I am with you Craig. I think a formal complaint and legal action is needed. The main reason that I chose the 2011 Equinox was for the mpg that was advertised. Looks like my cross country trip is over....

Keep me informed, because I am upset.

Sonny H.  

joeD9 joeD9
Posted: 02/14/11
03:53 PM

I bought the 2011 4 cyl Equinox in Oct because i do long drives from FL to NY and was sold by the 22/32 mpg rating.  guess what...i now have over 8,000 miles on the car and i have never exceed 26.3 mpg on the highway and that is without ac on and driving between 65 and 70 mph.  The dealer said there was a break in period of 5,000 miles.  Have been back 3 times now and the dealer said there is nothing wrong with the car other than the gas mileage performance.  I have opened a case with GM and have gotten no where.  GM claims that 26.3 mpg is within the range of the estimate, can you believe this?  I had an 2000 Chrysler LHS that i traded in.  It had a 6 cyl and i got 27 on the highway.  I even got over 30 with FULLY loaded when I moved to FL from NY.  i have now referred this issue to the Better Business Bureau that I was told will arbitrate the case.  But i don't expect any results after seeing all these comments from other Equinox owners.  i will probably have to retain a lawyer to see what they can do.  

Mlcpau Mlcpau
Posted: 02/19/11
08:17 PM

Same here, even worse mileage because of short trips. Am getting only 17+ mpg. Granted the car has been driven 120 miles. If they say wait for 5k, that will be a year from now! And we chose the Equinox because of the advertised 22 to 32 mpg!  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Chevrolet Equinox
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
SUV
Rating:
Average Average

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com