Xml
Item Posts   

Electrical problems '99 Catera

| 
a-dayauto a-dayauto
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/06
Posted: 02/28/06
07:53 AM

Have been getting a battery drain intermittently for the last 12 months and it's got me stumped, Battery and Alternator appear to be OK. The drain may happen very quickly, like say, about an hour or so after shut off, to an occurrence after car left overnite. I'm reluctant to take it to a dealership as I'm afraid they will hand me humongous bill and tell me can't find the fault or they will replace a buncch of stuff in their hopes that if they replace enough stuff they're bound to fix the prob... you get my drift right!

As for some clues???
About 8-10 months ago my sunroof suddenly acted up going into its various modes without my not touching any of the operating buttons...opening closing, tilting and then suddenly everything went back to normal as quickly as it happened. And, I haven't had an incidence since.

While I'm not a "wrench", I've been a rodder since I was a teener(I'm now retired") , I have a general good understanding of autos...but this has me stumped.

Any help , clues, pointers etc. etc is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.  

tommy m tommy m
Enthusiast | Posts: 327 | Joined: 12/05
Posted: 02/28/06
10:29 PM

go out and look at it at night and see if the glove box  lite or any lite mite be on  

gmjunk gmjunk
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 03/24/06
11:04 AM

Mine is doing the exact same thing. I think the car is possessed. Mine is also intermittenly failing the speedometer and disabling the abs and tc. If anyone one know why, please respond.

I did notice one thing. The power lead coming from the battery is bare ( no longer insulated). Maybe thats the problem?  

DRMarland DRMarland
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 06/21/06
12:24 PM

Did you ever get this fixed.
Mine is a 98 and I have replaced the alternator and battery and for some reason it still dies.
No lights stay on after I sht it off - so I am completely stumped.
I am also afraid to bring it to a dealer for fear of getting a huge bill.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks  

automotivejtm-#001 automotivejtm-#001
Guru | Posts: 1019 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 06/23/06
09:33 AM

if you bring it to the dealer it more than likely will be an expensive bill.   start pulling fuses when you turn your car off Wink

good luck.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com