Xml
Item Posts   

Jeep Cherokee Oil Gauge Needle Going down and up

| 
casuall002 casuall002
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 09/16/10
06:06 AM

I was driving to work this morning and when I was going up a small hill, my oil gauge dipped, a light came on for just a blink of a second and then it was normal. When I came to a stop the needle fell down again and quickly jumped back to right above center where it normally is. This happened pretty much every time I came to a stop. One time when I was turning it actually jumped up and then went right back to normal.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
4.7 L V8 4-Wheel All-Time

I am not a car person so I’m not even sure where to begin. I appreciate everyone’s help!  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
06:17 AM

check your oil level....

engine off... pull the dip stick... wipe it off, examine the marks on the stick near the tip..... stick it back in all the way.. pull it out... read the level  where the oil comes up to..

the engine oil sticks tops are usually yellow.... but i could be wrong....

if you don't know how to do it... its described in the owners manual in the glove box...

or find a passer by...   have somebody show you.....

if your oil gauge is doing that...  chances are.. its low on oil..

there have been other jeeps ... that have reported the same problem .... where the passage behind the oil pressure switch becomes clogged with a clump of jellied oil...   when the oil pressure comes up...  it pushes this plug against the tiny opening of the sending unit.. allowing it to fall to 0...  

casuall002 casuall002
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/10
08:14 AM

Ok, I just checked the oil. Bone dry! However, there are a few things.

#1- Where did the oil go? There is no oil on my driveway, garage, etc...

#2- Why is my gauge showing that it's above 1/2 way full???

#4- I'm only about 4 months

I'm worried!

Edit,
Just spoke to the auto shop. He said that with the hot months burns faster which I live in St. Louis. He thinks I just burned it up and didn't check it enough. Get a couple cheap quarts of oil, drive it to him and get a fresh oil change. Would everyone agree?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
09:17 AM

put One quart in .... let it sit for 20 seconds...   check the level....   does it need more... the level is at the add mark...  put another...    wait 20 seconds...   check the level...

just because the oil does not show on the stick... does not mean there is no oil in the pan...  the dip sticks usually don't show more than 2 quarts low...  so DON'T overfill the engine oil... please... if it shows half way between low and full.. put in half a quart....

some engines use oil.....    most newer engines get over 1000 miles per quart used....   down to 600 miles per quart is OK.. but thats pushing it...

the gauge on the dashboard is OIL pressure...    NOT LEVEL....

if the pressure drops... time to take your foot off the gas... push the shifter to neutral... coast to the side of the road...

running the engine with 0 oil pressure will destroy it in seconds... the oil pressure light comes on at when the pressure drops to under 10 psi...    7 to 3 psi usually...

check the oil often...

if you do oil changes at the major lube chains... when they put a sticker in the window...  and you have your receipt... you can pull in every week or so for a level check and top off.. usually at No charge...

warning.. some of them are very good at upselling...  just do the oil and filter....   oh... and transmission services usually get done at 20,000 to 30,000 mile intervals...   this involves dropping the transmission pan.. changing the transmission filter... refilling the transmission fluid...  NOT cutting into the line and doing a flush without changing the filters in the transmission..  their units DO not clean the filters...

if you start getting knocking noises on start up...   you may have damaged the motor...  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Jeep Cherokee
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
SUV
Rating:
N

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com