Ad Radar

Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

Looking for a small car, any suggestions?

| 
theboynextdoor88 theboynextdoor88
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/24/10
09:43 PM

I currently have a 1994 saturn sl2.  The reverse gear has a dead spot in it, so I have to push it backwards. So I was looking to get another small car, preferably 2 door, that has a manual transmission.  I thought about either another sl2, a saturn sc2, or a honda civic.  Any others I should consider?  

CoJenn CoJenn
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/30/10
03:53 PM

I might suggest a Suzuki Forenza. It's a smaller economic vehicle that comes with manual or automatic transmission and it's pretty affordable. Plus it's among one of the cheapest vehicles to insure. This article may give you some insight on what to look for http://www.cheapercarinsurance.com/articles/top-10-cheapest-cars-to-insure/  

IGoZoom IGoZoom
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/04/10
09:04 AM

I'm not sure what price range you have in mind or if you're willing to consider both new and used options, but here are some suggestions-

Avoid buying another Saturn!  They don't have a history of reliability and, prior to the ION, they didn't share any parts with other GM vehicles.  With the demise of Saturn dealerships, parts availability could be a big headache when something breaks...it's not worth the hassle and there are better options!

Buying a Honda Civic is almost as safe as putting your money in a bank account (FDIC insured, of course).  They current model, introduced in 2006, isn't the most exciting car in terms of looks or performance, but it is rock-solid reliable and a very safe choice.  The only down side to buying a used Civic is the price- they don't depreciate like most cars and a model that is three years old is often just $1000 or so less than a brand new one!?  There are some good deals to be had on 2010 Civic Coupes right now- a brand new Civic LX Coupe with 5-speed manual stickers for $18,155 but is selling for around $15,800 currently.

The other brand new model that is worth a close look right now is the 2010 Ford Focus Coupe, which currently has a $3000 rebate. A new Focus SE Coupe w/ MT and the 202A upgrade package stickers for $18,985 but is selling for $14,800!  The 202A package adds cruise control, leather steering wheel and gear shift, steering wheel mounted cruise and audio controls, Audiophile 9-speaker AM/FM/CD/MP3 stereo, Ford SYNC w/ Bluetooth and 3-years service to Turn-by-turn navigation and live traffic service)...all for under $15k!  The sportier SES model is running about $15,300 with everything exception the Audiophile stereo, but it has larger wheels and tires, sport suspension and several other upgrades.  Both are a steal!

I'd also encourage you to check out the 2010 Mazda3 4-door.  It is sportier looking, more fun to drive and quicker than any of the 2-door models above!  A 4-door will also save you up to 35% on insurance compared to a 'sporty' 2-door!  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com