Ad Radar

Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

Town and Country Rough Running, P2308 code, Coil? Wires? Plugs?

| 
djs789 djs789
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/20/10
08:15 AM

I have a 2006 Chrysler Town and Country 3.3l. The check engine light is on and I am getting P2308 error code. The Parts store print out says this is an erratic signal from the ignition coil secondary circuit.
The probable causes are:
1.Faulty spark plug or coil boot or 2.Failed ignition coil.
The van is running rough, Has a rough idle, Hesitation, Sputtering, Excessive engine vibration.
I replaced the spark plug wires a month ago. I replaced the coil and the spark plugs today.
The van is still running rough any suggestions?  

djs789 djs789
Posted: 07/21/10
10:13 AM

Update:
I checked for arcing at night. No arcing. I rechecked and set gaps on the new plugs I put in.

The p2308 code is an error in the ignition coil #3. Coil #3 fires cylinders 2 and 5.
Erased the code. Then I flopped sprk plug wires from another cylinder for the number 2 wire. I get the same p2308 code come. I did the same with the 5 cylinder wire with the same results. So I am pretty sure its not the wires, plugs, and coil (which is new).

I checked with a TEST LIGHT the control wires for all three of the coils with the engine running.
Pin #1 (brown/orange wire) control wire for coil #3 LIGHT GLOWS CONSTANT. I think this is wrong.
Pin #4 (dark blue/tan wire) control wire for coil #2 LIGHT FLASHES - I think this is normal.
Pin #3 (dark blue/dark green wire) control wire for coil #1 LIGHT FLASHES - I think this is normal.

Since the control wire glows the wire must not be bad or grounded. I think the pcm must be bad. Probably a good bet the computer is bad and should be replaced?

I don't know. Is there anything else I should check? The pcm is expensive. What do you think?

Any suggestions on replaing the computer if you think I should?  

djs789 djs789
Posted: 07/28/10
07:47 AM

Update:
I traced a bad coil driver signal going into the coil all the way back to back to the pcm for coil#3. I determined the pcm had a bad coil driver for the #3 coil. I ordered the remanned computer from Auto Computer Exchange in FL.
I installed the new computer. It seems to work. The computer has a lifetime warranty so I think I am golden. Thanks for your help.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 07/28/10
08:01 AM

wow.. thanks for posting that...    i missed the post entirely..

good work...

if you come back.. did you swap a new coil on also???? if the windings are shorted.. it may draw to much power and damage the new ECM...

i am also thinking that you gave the computer supplier your VIN number and exact mileage.. so the next time you go into a smog test.. the car passes.. the newer smog tests plug in and look at the vin numbers and the mileage from the ecm...   it can be programmed in with a decent scan tool ONE TIME ONLY.....  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com