Xml
Item Posts   

security system 1998 oldsmobile aurora

| 
vasil vasil
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 06/29/10
05:18 PM

security system will not engage starter.information panel indicates to clean key and wait 3 minutes. will not start sometime,mostly on rainey days  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 06/29/10
06:34 PM

copy and paste this link...

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/D/DM95400.gif

it shows the aurora steering column...

the lock cylinder is numbered 21...

1) Cover Upper
2) Cover Lower
3) Switch Wiper and washer
4) Switch Turn and cruise
5) Switch Key alarm
6) Switch Nut
7) Switch Snap ring
8) Clockspring
9) Clockspring Washer
10) Clock spring Lock ring
11) Wire shield
12) Lock plate
13) Signal cam
14) Spring
15) Spring Seat
16) Spring Race
17) Bracket Lock bolt
18) Spring Bolt
19) Housing
20) Bezel
21) Lock cylinder
22) Actuator
23) Tilt lever
24) Tilt lever Bracket

a new coded ignition lock cylinder is part number 702563

but it does not come with a pellet key... it comes with a plain brass key... and that won't start the car...

in order to do this quickly..   you have to buy a new ignition lock cylinder..... take the plain key ... and your original pellet key to a decent lock smith or key cutter...    they can measure the resistance of the pellet.. select a new blank...  duplicate the plain brass key cuts on the new pellet blank....  

this is confusing..   but it will save you tons of time..

now.. you can take the new lock cylinder with the new pellet key to your repair shop.. they can install the new lock cylinder and when they put the key in.. it will start on the first try...

this does work...  i do it all the time...   most shops just don't understand.. and they can make an additional 200 bucks sometimes more for a lock smith to come out also..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there is one thing that you might do first...

spray a little WD40 into the lock cylinder.. then work the key in and out a few times.. a dash more and then rotate it through its motions... this will  sometimes restore the proper operation...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

there is about a 10 buck in parts way to bypass the pass key system..  with one of these from radio shack..

10K-Ohm 15-Turn Cermet Potentiometer/Trimmer
Model: 271-343  |  Catalog #: 271-343

but you have to ohm the key.. adjust the new part to match the pellets resistance.. get into the key wiring.. NOT THE AIR BAG wiring..    hook this up to the body side of that harness...  on the first and and second terminal..  or second and third..  which ever ones you measured with your ohm meter... i also use 2 parts of the 12 of one of these...

12-Position European-Style Mini Terminal Strip
Model: 274-680  |  Catalog #: 274-680
This 12-position mini terminal strip holds up to 16-gauge wire and is rated up to 30 amps

this bypasses your security anti theft system...   but it will get you moving when the lock electronics totally fail...

so.. you have at least 3 options...  

vasil vasil
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 07/01/10
07:46 AM

Thanks I sprayed the lock with WD40 as you sugested and it started. Tryed to start later but would not crank.Any other way to jump start so I can get it to the repair  shop.I live about 20 miles away.
                    Thanks
                     Vasil  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 07/01/10
05:39 PM

tow truck...   some lock smiths will come out and do the install... at your location....

got a radio shack nearby????  know how to drop the under dash pad???  got a digital volt meter... small tools..

i have installed a bunch of the trimmer pots.. usually takes about half an hour..  on your model.. it might take longer...  its only cutting and stripped back a pair of wires.. the proper set of wires.. using a pair of the european style terminal blocks.. to hook to the first and second wires from the trimmer..

when the car fails to start...  the lock out is only 4 minutes..  

shannon285 shannon285
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/28/10
03:26 PM

I have a 97 aurora and i have the same problem! I will be driving on the fwy and the security light will come on and my car will shut off! so scary!!  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com