Xml
Item Posts   

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee transmission problem

| 
KMAN05 KMAN05
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/16/10
01:10 AM

im having trouble with my transmission in my 2001 jeep grand cherokee. the check engine light is on and it either stays in the first gear and does change until i hit aboue 5000 rpms and then it will get into a gear finally. also it ocassionally will get stuck into a higher gear and the acceleration would be compared to a electric scooter. once i reach about 40- 45 mph i the car would be working solid. whats the problem? and how much would it be to get this fix.

*Also this problem first started about 7 months ago and the car would finally fix itself and be working fine. then one day it would just be all screwed up again  

sean3 sean3
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/16/10
06:13 PM

did u check the fluid?  

brich2 brich2
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/26/10
11:59 AM

My jeep has a hard time shifting as well. The other day after I started it, it shook really bad when I tried to put it into reverse or drive.  Then the check engine light came on. what could have caused this?  Now the Check engine light won't go off.  

KMAN055 KMAN055
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 05/02/10
07:59 AM

Hey guys its me again, just with a different name. (i forgot my other username password). I did check my trans fluids and it goes up to the curve in the checker (it says cold and hot on the stick and the fluid goes pass the hot) and its a dark redish brown tint. I thought the fluid was suppose to be more red. do you think i might need to change fluids and actually go get it cleaned and filled or do u think its more of a hardware failure with the actual transmission. The four wheel drive has been not getting into gear either. i was frustrated and tried all sorts of things and it is now stuck and will not change back to 2wd  

alexander64 alexander64
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 05/16/10
06:53 AM

I have 2001 jeep cherokee. Have to get to 4000 rpm before it will shift>had transmission fluid changed>no fix>after fluid was changed, got a engine light code the govenor had problems.It should be shifting a guess around 1500 rpm. Any help  

ftsesq ftsesq
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 06/11/10
11:11 AM

Hi there.  Any news or updates on this?  I have a '99 that just started doing the same thing.  It seems like it won’t up-shift out of first, but when I take my foot off of the gas, the RPM’s drop back to idle and it coasts like its in neutral.  It’s strange because there had been no previous slipping or stuttering from the trans, it just happened yesterday morning.  The first time, it did this it only lasted for about a ¼ mile, then I stopped at a red light.  When I left the light it shifted into second at around 2200 RPM’s just like normal.  Then when I was leaving work, it did it again, but would not fix itself.  I stopped at a gas station to check the fluid, and it was right on full.  I started it to try to limp home and like magic, it worked fine.  Shifted like normal.  This morning, it did it again.  This time, I checked the fluid with the engine running and the trans in neutral, and the fluid level was under the “min” mark, so I added about a quart of fluid, but it did not help.  So, I was on the way to the mechanic when I stopped for gas.  Pulling out of the gas station… You guessed it.  It shifted right around 2200 RPM’s into second, and worked fine from there on out.  I didn’t go to the mechanic because I was already late for work, but if I were a bet’n man, I’d put my money on it doing it again after work.  

440t4 440t4
Guru | Posts: 1009 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 06/11/10
05:25 PM

A very common problem with those transmissions is the failure of he governor pressure solinoid and the governor pressure sensor.The solinoid creates higher governor pressure as the voltage drops to cause an upshift.The governor pressure sensor tells the computer what the actual governor pressure is.You might be able to find out which one is no good by scanning the computer but it doesnt always point directly to the culprit.Most shops change the solinoid and the sensor just to make sure.But its been my experience that when your stuck in 1st with no upshift its usually the sensor.When you get high gear starts its usually the solinoid..Your problem is intermittant so you could have a loose wire somewhere. Get the computer scanned and post the codes here.  

MtnHomie MtnHomie
Posted: 06/29/10
09:57 AM

I have a 2001 JGCL V8 Auto, When I bought my jeep, I was warned that around 90k the transmission would crap out on me, ofcourse it hasnt completely gone out but since about 93k its been slowly but surely getting worse, and yesterday at wal mart is when I finally realized its getting almost beyond repair. When it shook really bad in attempt to shift into first, when I start the vehicle, I shift into drive, it takes a few seconds to shift, and when it does the whole vehicle rocks forward pretty hard, and from 1st to 2nd if feels like the truck is gonna rip apart, with how had it shifts, I have been able to control it decently with the O/D. After about 98k I replaced the filter. I have reset the DTCs numerous times after alot of random tweaks, but I have come to the conclusion that the whole transmission is probably destroyed at this point, seeing as though it has been messing up for almost 10k miles now.  

440t4 440t4
12:31 PM

The v-8's have a different trans than the others on this thread. You should have the 5 speed automatic.I would drop the pan and check the accumulater support plate.They bend out or break. And post those DTC'S they are critical for the diagnosis  

jeepgirl2001 jeepgirl2001
10:25 PM

Hello,
I am having the same problem with my Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4.  I have been out of town for over a week and while leaving the airport tonight, my jeep would not make it past 30 mph.  I would push on the gas pedal and the rpm would increase but wouldn't make it past 30.  I turned it on & off, checked the transmission stick, when finally I placed it in 1st, started to roll and then placed it in 2nd then rev'd up to 4000 rpm when it finally shifted and would accelerate.  When I stopped at the red light, same thing with not going past 30 again.  So I stopped, placed it back in 1st and repeated until it would accelerate past 30 as I just listed.  I plan on taking it to either aamco or the jeep dealership.  Do you think I may be having the same problem with the governor pressure solinoid/sensor?  Also, I have never changed my transmission fluid and back in 2005 I was told by a mechanic to not flush it as it would create more problems for me and that I should just leave it as it is and add fluid if I need to in the future.  Since then, I have been told by numerous other people to also not flush it because of potential problems it could cause. What do you think the problem could be, & who should I take it to - aamco or dealer?  I live in Houston, TX.  

440t4 440t4
Posted: 06/30/10
11:47 AM

It is very possible that your governor sensor/solinoid could be faulty. Its hard to know where to take it. Aamco is just a name the quality of the work depends on the personel at that particular shop.Most shops will just tell you that you need a rebuilt trans.However if you go to Aamco they will drive and scan the vehicle for no charge. So get it checked and post the codes here.You could also have the transmission pan taken off {in your presence} to see what shape the trans is in.A bad trans will have dark brown or black fluid that has a burnt smell and large deposits of clutch and metal material in the pan.

ps: bad solinoids or sensors dont always put a code into the computer.If they drive the vehicle with the scanner hooked up they can access what the governor pressure should be {desired gov pressure} and what it is {actual gov pressure}  

dc5spice. dc5spice.
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/03/10
03:05 PM

I have a 2001 Jeep Grangd Cherokee and when I put it in reverse I hear a rattling sound coming from transmission. It also making noise when it is in drive. Reverse gear and it want go into four way drive.  

honeybite05 honeybite05
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 10/18/10
10:36 PM

well, it seems that the 01 jeep GC has a serious problem. I also have had issues with my jeep. This last Saturday i had changed my oil and my father in-law put 85w 90 Valvoline gear oil in the transfer case. i know engines not transmissions. So in turn that night after driving 50-60 miles my acceleration went down and my RPM's went high. I felt the tranny slip when i tried to accelerate. I pulled over and turned car off thinking that it might just be a fluck. no in turn it continued. I just spent 2000$ replacing a motor... i really dont want to spend another 2g's on this rig for a tranny. I do know that it is common for trannys to fall apart after a rig gets a new motor bc the torch is different and causes strain. I just wasnt sure if the gear oil that my FL put into the transfer case is connected to the tranny some how and the fluids  mixed... i had it towed to a shop and im really hoping is some solenoid or maybe low tranny fluid... would anyone have a good idea of what ive gotten into? i just need some really good opinions on this.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com