Xml
Item Posts   

Cadillac CTS 2003 wont start

| 
vlmoult vlmoult
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/12/10
11:42 PM

I have an cadillac Cts 2003 , For the first week  i would try it and it wouldnt work so I would leave it alone for about 10 to 20 mins and try it again then it would start . Sometime if i  leave the car idle, say at a stop light it would turn itself off.  Now it doesnt start at all .  When i turn the key i can hear it trying to start but when i let go of the key it would just stop. Some people say its the timing belt, spark plugs,or the fuel pump.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 03/13/10
01:01 AM

thats strange..

you will need to examine the wiring diagrams.. see if any fuses are on the same power feed as the ignition system and the ecm...

with a test light verify that the proper voltage is getting sent to them..

if it starts and runs while you are cranking the engine..   and it dies when you release the key to the run position.. i would first start at the electrical half of the ignition switch..

does your car have a security light on the dash board??? does it turn on when this happens...   does your key have a resistor in the shank of the key??? a little black square with a metal center..

with an obd2 scan tool that displays live data.. and a bit of knowledge .. you can see what s happening..

wait.. you have a cad...  

turn the key on...    reach over with your first and forth finger and press the off and warmer buttons on the AC controls panel... one of the panels will flash trouble codes to you.. write them down..      do not touch the brake pedal when you are doing this.. that sends the system into switch testing mode..  and will set more trouble codes as you only have a limited time to run through the switch test..

for access to how to use the AC buttons as a scan tool....

you will have to have a factory manual.. or a subscription to  

eautorepair.net or alldatadiy.com...

this has to be diagnosed..  you don't just start throwing expensive parts at the car..  so plan on getting info in your hands... and working your way through it..

if you get codes.. post them..

but it sure sounds like the factory anti theft system... check for the flashing security light when this happens..  

vlmoult vlmoult
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/13/10
10:26 PM

well i know the check engine light is on and when it doesn't start it would have "service vehicle soon" on the display screen.  And the engine desen't actually start it just tries to crank but fails.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 03/14/10
09:55 AM

the check engine light... and the service engine light may be on when the key is on.. and the engine is not running... that is normal and expected..

did pressing the OFF and warmer buttons at the same time for 4 seconds light up every pixel on the displays for 2 seconds then one display will start flashing codes numbers... those number point to circuits that need testing..

there are just so many things that could be wrong..  

so as a mechanic...   on a cranks but does not run...  first check for codes..   research them...  then check for spark... a timing light around various spark plug wires is an easy test... some cars it does not work on...    having somebody turn the key on while another tech listens at the fuel tank...    the fuel pump should run for 2 seconds when the key is turned on..

if you had a scan tool to plug in..     you could look at the engine sensors while the engine was cranking to see if the crank and cam sensor are working properly.. that the engine coolant temp and air charge temp sensors are putting out the right information..

sorry.. new cars are complicated..  but with the OBD2 diagnostic system its easier to fix them.. sometimes..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Cadillac CTS
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
N

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com