Xml
Item Posts   

SWAPPING A 700R4 TO A 350 TURBO

| 
cummins2005hey cummins2005hey
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/14/10
02:55 PM

I have a 1987 chevy silverado.  My tranny took a crap on me it is a 700r4.  I have already had it rebuilt and it went out again.  I do NOT like the tranny and never have.  So I am switching to a 350 turbo and I realize it is a shorter tranny, and I dont want to get a shorter driveshaft. What all do I need to do to make the swap?  Also I will have the transfer case with the 350 turbo still bolted to the 350 turbo.  Can someone please inform me on everything i need to do to get the truck back on the road with the better tranny.  Thanks  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 04/14/10
07:12 PM

is your truck a 4x4...????

if 2 wheel drive... there are a few TH350s.. that have a longer tailshaft and tailhousing.. that are almost a perfect bolt in for a th700...  you have to move the crossmember about half an inch... i think the drive shaft fits..

if you have a 4 wheel drive truck..   you will have to change drive shaft lengths..

if you have a 2 wheel drive truck.. and a 4x4 TH350...   its not going to work without tearing down and replacing the output shaft .. and installing a different tailhousing..

by the way... what happened to the TH700?????    did you verify oil cooler flow????    through the oil cooler and both lines from end to end..   they will only last 15 miles or so.. with no cooler flow..

did the throttle valve cable get properly adjusted???

do you have the stock carb.. or throttle body???  there is a difference in the pull ratio  on other carbs.. this prevents the proper line pressure and shift points..       holley and i think edelbrock make linkage adaptors for the TV link on the throttle lever..

the few people i know who have down graded...   miss the fuel economy and the higher cruising speeds on the freeway in overdrive...  

cummins2005hey cummins2005hey
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/15/10
06:12 AM

yes it is a 4x4 and i dont ever go on the higway with this truck it is just a play toy for going to the river and pulling my boats.  I dont need the overdrive and i have had trucks with the turbo 350 and i was more impressed with it.  so thats why i was wanting to know what all i had to do to swap them out.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 04/15/10
08:41 AM

there are several other truck specific magazines on this site...

your user name and password will work on those forums also..

http://www.fourwheeler.com

i know that swap has been done the other way several times...      there are so many ways to go... and many of the forum members will know just what to ***  

Turbo Buick Turbo Buick
User | Posts: 146 | Joined: 11/05
Posted: 04/18/10
10:04 AM

This is a simple swap. You will need a extension housing spacer from Teckpak-Fitzall #7Q-35A. A TH350 dipstick tube and a detent cable. Start with a two wheel drive TH350 with a 6" tail housing. Cut 1 1/8 inch off the output shaft. Install the spacer between the trans and transfer case adapter. Everything else bolts right up including the driveshafts.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com