Xml
Item Posts   

1999 Ford Ranger OD light flashing speedometer not working

| 
kelarius kelarius
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/15/10
12:33 PM

I'm having a couple of problems, they all seemed to be linked, and they started at the same time. My truck has it's check engine light and ABS lights on, the speedometer doesn't work, and when I start it I drive it wont shift out of 1st gear for a couple of minutes. After a couple of minutes the OD off light will start flashing and then the truck can shift gears but it shifts very rough and you can feel the truck jolting every time it shifts up or down. All of these issues started at the same time. I plugged in a portable unit at a parts store and it said there was a vehicle speedometer malfunction but that's it. Its a 3.0L V6 Automatic, any suggestions?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 03/15/10
03:48 PM

i would first start by looking at the speed sensor in the side of the tail housing of the transmission....

since you don't have any speedo that is the first place to start...

here is a picture of it...

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/SU1019/image/8/

but there is a gear on the end that is not available at most parts stores.. only a few transmission parts suppliers, speedo shops and ford dealers...   or junk yards...  it is important that you examine it make sure that when you spin it under the truck with the key on...  that the speedo moves...     the speed sensor is only 15 bucks at autozone.. takes about 5 minutes to change.. its only one bolt.. one clip that holds the gear on.. and one connector......

this is the antilock speed sensor that lives on the top of the rear end..  they can also go bad..     but check or change the other one first...

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/SU2175/image/8/  

Southpaw4 Southpaw4
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 05/04/10
03:39 PM

Original Thread:
1999 Ford Ranger OD light flashing speedometer not working
Have you solved your problem? If so what was the solution?
  I am having the exact same problem with my 1999 Ranger, 3.0L V6, with automatic transmission... identical symptoms complete with ABS and check engine lights, O/D flashing and no speedometer indication...
  So far, I also plugged in a check engine sensor and got the code P0500, "speed sensor A malfunction".  I could not find a speed sensor on the auto trans; so I changed the speed sensor on the top of the rear transaxle, (~$20.00 at Advance).  I also disconnected the battery for an hour and then reconnected same.  I have only driven it a few miles but the speedometer still does NOT work and the auto-trans still does not shift correctly, O/D drops out and blinks still.  However, check engine light has not yet come on, nor has the ABS light, so I do NOT think that I have not solved the speedometer problem by changing the ABS speed sensor on transaxle.  I also contacted local Ford dealer; get this..  parts department quoted me a price of ~$45 for a speed sensor which is supposed to be located in/on the transmission somewhere but when I talked to service dept manager, he said his transmission guy (in the shop) does not think there is a speed sensor in/on the transmission, (which I could not find unless it is a square blue plug).  Who's correct?  "Cuts" of several different 1999 Ranger automatic transmissions (there may be more than one), show an INTERNALLY mounted speed sensor, so now I am really confused as to what to do next.  Service manager said it may be a dash module problem and truck may be too old to have dash parts.... he indicated that they would just have to investigate... how's that for service?  What have you done so far?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
05:30 PM

the transmission speed sensor is probably on the drivers side of the tail housing of the transmission...

this is an earlier model with a speedo cable..   you will have to copy and paste the link to view the image

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0996b43f/80/21/b9/bf/medium/0996b43f8021b9bf.gif

here is a picture of the speed sensor that plugs into the side of your transmission..

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/SU1019/image/8/

its 15 bucks at autozone... takes about 10 minutes to install.. but you have to swap the driven gear from the old to the new...

with the speed sensor out...   and the gear swapped over to the new one..  before you plug it back in...     have someone sitting in the drivers seat.. have them turn the key on.. but do not start the motor...  make sure they know ...  spin the gear in both directions..   you should see the speedo move...

there is as far as i know... NO mechanical connection..  it should be all electronics...

try that...  with a scan tool ... you can also see the VSS signal move when you spin the gear...

if everything is working right..  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Guru | Posts: 953 | Joined: 06/07
06:42 PM

The 4R55E /5R55E trans Does not have a gear driven VSS it uses the ABS speed sensor in the rear axle housing,for speedometer, and works in conjunction with the OSS,and the TSS, for shift scheduling ,line rise and converter lock up.

The output shaft speed (OSS) sensor is a magnetic pickup, located at the output shaft ring gear, that sends a signal to the power train control module to indicate transmission output shaft speed. The OSS is used for torque converter clutch control, speed scheduling and to determine electronic pressure control.
The turbine shaft speed (TSS) sensor is a magnetic pickup that sends the power train control module torque converter turbine speed information.

The TSS sensor is mounted internally on the center support.
The PCM uses TSS information to help determine electronic pressure control (EPC) and torque converter clutch (TCC) operation.

The programmable speedometer/odometer module (PSOM) receives input from the rear brake anti-lock sensor. After processing the signal, the PSOM relays it to the power train control module and the speed control module. Information from the PSOM is used to help determine shift scheduling, torque converter clutch operation and electronic pressure control (EPC).  

Southpaw4 Southpaw4
Posted: 05/05/10
01:07 PM

THANKS FOR COMMENTS; I MUST HAVE SOMETHING LATER IN 1999 PRODUCTION YEAR BECAUSE CANNOT FIND AN EXTERNALLY MOUNTED SENSOR AT THE TAIL END OF TRANSMISSION AT DRIVE SHAFT CONNECTION POINT....  ONLY WIRE IN GENERAL AREA GOES TO A HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR IN EXHAUST.
    THE TRANSMISSION  CODE FOR THIS 1999 RANGER IS "T" AND MAY BE EITHER A 4R44E OR 5R55E TRANSMISSION (2 WHEEL DRIVE) WITH AN INTERNALLY MOUNTED TURBINE SHAFT SPEED SENSOR BOLTED TO THE TRANSMISSION CENTER SUPPORT ASSEMBLY, (WHAT DESIGN ENGINEER WOULD BE SO CRAZY?).  IF THAT IS THE CASE AND THIS ALL LOOKS LIKE IT IS HEADED IN THAT DIRECTION, THE TURBINE SPEED SENSOR (PART # 7M101, ITEM 46 ON CATALOG CUT)LOOKS LIKE IT IS ONLY BOLTED TO THE CENTER SUPPORT ASSEMBLY BY ONE BOLT AND COULD POSSIBLY BE REMOVED AND REPLACED WITHOUT COMPLETELY DROPPING THE TRANSMISSION (ONLY REMOVING BOTTOM PAN?).  HOWEVER STANDARD HOURS SHOW TIME INCLUDED TO R&I TRANSMISSION, SO I AM WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS EVER TACKLED THIS PARTICULAR TRANSMISSION/SPEED SENSOR ARRANGEMENT AND IF I REALLY HAVE TO DROP THE TRANSMISSION?  I USED TO LIKE MY FORD TRUCK....  TRUCK ONLY HAS 15K MILES ON IT SO I AM HOPEFUL THAT THE SMALL GEAR ON SENSOR IS STILL GOOD, BUT WHO KNOWS AFTER 10+ YEARS....
    BY WAY OF TRANSMISSION IDENTIFICATION, THERE IS ALSO A SQUARE, BRIGHT BLUE PLUG ARRANGEMENT ON DRIVER'S SIDE OF TRANSMISSION AHEAD OF DTR SENSOR WHICH (I THINK) IS SUPPOSED TO CONTAIN THE SPEED SENSOR LEAD OUTPUT, AMONG OTHER THINGS, UP TO ELECTRONIC MODULE.  IT LOOKS TOO LARGE, TOO COMPLEX AND HAS TOO MANY LEADS JUST TO BE A TWO LEAD SPEED SENSOR PLUGOUT.  THIS PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE TOO COMPLEX FOR A SIMPLE FORD TRUCK.  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Posted: 05/05/10
05:04 PM

Why are you typing in caps?????  

Your trans is a 4R44E .. 2 wheel drive Rangers uses the ABS speed sensor for the speedometer and shift scheduling. The terminal that you are referring to is for all of the electronic control components that are located internally, including the TSS.
There isn't a gear on the TSS, it is a "magnetic pick up" sensor.
And no there is no way to change this sensor without disassembly of the trans.  

Southpaw4 Southpaw4
Posted: 05/06/10
06:55 AM

Cap lock happened to be "on" from last application.

Thanks for 4R44E info which I suspected,  
  So, after getting the check engine code P0500 which indicated "speed sensor "A" malfunction" and changing the ABS speed sensor, I still have no speedometer speed indication, rough shifting and O/D keeps dropping out although "check engine" and "ABS off" lights are now off (so far).   Will driving it a longer distance allow it to self program?  ( I had a car that the shift points were supposed to adjust based upon my driving habits...I never did see any change in them however).
   What would you suspect is the root malfunction and what can be checked to narrow it down?  Which one (ABS sensor or TSS sensor) is speed sensor "A" ? Would you suspect that the TSS could be the problem? and how does this programmable PSOM get programmed?  Does it "learn" as it is driven?  Where is the PSOM located... behind/on dash module circuit board? As can be seen, I have more questions than answers and I guess I need to get into the electronics of this issue.  Is there a commercially available tech manual on the electronics of the Ranger?  Or is Ford my only source? I need to have more information before I try to deal with this problem because the Ford dealership service rep really didn't give me much hope for correcting the problem.  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Posted: 05/06/10
02:31 PM

Dxd05w

Vehicles equipped with rear anti-lock brakes (RABS) generate a vehicle speed signal from the rear axle speed sensor. The generic electronic module (GEM) receives this signal (VSS_GEM) for internal use and then distributes it to the appropriate other users,  the PCM, speed control module, and speedometer. Possible causes , GEM ,,,CJB Fuse 11and fuse 25 both are 7.5 amp fuses.instrument cluster printed circuit,and of course the rear ABS sensor. And circuitry.  

gleonard64 gleonard64
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 10/09/10
12:39 PM

FYI I have had the same problem on my 1999 Ranger. I just fixed it ten minutes ago.
After I replaced the ABS sensor in the differential with no results I performed a continuity check between he ABS connector and the connector under the drivers seat as it goes into he cab. I took the connector off of the ABS sensor and tried to verify continuity with a OHM meter at the connector before it goes into the cab. On my vehicle there are two wires at the ABS sensor one is redddish pink and the other is green with black tracer. The green with black was the problem from the sensor to where it joins the frame harness (up at rear of fuel tank) I found that the green black wire in the convalute had eroded inside the wire casing. I replaced from the branch to the ABS connector and I am back in business. Hope this helps!!!  

Michael Stephen Cowan Michael Stephen Cowan
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 06/14
Posted: 06/19/14
05:57 PM

Okay maybe you can help me I have the same problem I caused it by pulling the red and green connectors out of the fuse box but cannot remember which numbers to plug them back into  

05:57 PM

Okay maybe you can help me I have the same problem I caused it by pulling the red and green connectors out of the fuse box but cannot remember which numbers to plug them back into  

05:58 PM

06:46 PM

wayne712222 wayne712222
Guru | Posts: 1857 | Joined: 03/13
09:42 PM

pictures. use photobucket or imgur.. paste links here..

and careful examination of the connectors.. they are almost always KEYED.. GROOVED.. made different some how to prevent incorrect installation..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com