Xml
Item Posts   

TH350 - Shift Select Shaft Seal Needs Replaced

| 
Tj455 Tj455
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/23/10
11:28 AM

I've tried the special tool to pull the seal from the outside but it is unable to thread into the old seal.  The metal part of the seal fits too closely to the shaft.  My next thought is to remove the transmission pan and remove the Shift Select Shaft so I can get better access to the seal.  Can anyone tell me if the shaft can be taken off once the pan is removed?  Or will the transmission need additional items removed?   Thanks for the help.  

bbuss bbuss
User | Posts: 72 | Joined: 12/09
04:58 PM

I would try a steak knife.
Stick the knife in with the sharp edge in tward the trans and pry it out.
You will be surprised how easy this works

Good luck

Bob  

Tj455 Tj455
07:04 PM

Thanks Bob.

I went ahead and removed the pan and was able to get the shaft and seal out.  I did have to remove some linkage to get the nut off the shaft but it was pretty simple.  The shaft did have some spurs that needed ground down before it would slide out but that was the only hitch.  Everything is just about back together.  Just waiting for the paint to dry on the pan then I'm done.   Smile  

Muttdog17 Muttdog17
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/24/10
06:07 PM

Maybe you can help?  I am working on my 350 turbo due to a leak that I thought was coming from the pan but only to find it is coming from what I believe is the governer housing.  I am not real familiar with this tranny so does that sound like an area that could leak?  It is on the passenger side and is about 3 inches or so in diameter. Any idea how it comes apart or if it even does.  Can anyone anwser this or give me a little more direction as to what else it could be?  Thanks Russ  

Tj455 Tj455
Posted: 03/25/10
09:04 AM

Yes it can leak.  There is a retainer wire holding it.  According to a service manual you can remove it with a screwdriver.  I've not had any experience with it.  

Other possible leaks in the area are the filler pipe, coolant lines, and I believe there's a downshift cable also.  I hope this helps.  

Muttdog17 Muttdog17
10:08 AM

That will definitely give me some direction!  Thanks alot.  

440t4 440t4
Guru | Posts: 1009 | Joined: 04/09
11:05 AM

The governor cover has a large c-clip holding the cover on but on most th350's still on the road the clip is gone.  you get the cover off by putting a flat screwdriver or chizel against the lip of the cover and tap it off.It does have a rubber seal on it but you can seal it with silicone and put it back on.If you get it all the way in nice and snug it will stay on without the clip holding it  

Muttdog17 Muttdog17
Posted: 03/29/10
04:01 AM

Well, I got the governor to stop leaking which was actually pretty easy.  Just needed a small screw driver and a pick which helped it pop right out.  Here is the issue now!!!  I think my buddy who was helping me may have overtighten the nut that threads on the the stud that the shifter cable attaches to.  Not sure what exactly happened but when he hooked up the cable and I went to test the shifter it wouldn't shift into park.  So we thought it needed a little adjustment so we moved the cable forward a little.  Then I wasn't getting reverse or park.  I noticed that the tranny linkage appeared to have a lot of slop in it which was not allowing the shifter cable to throw it into park.  Pretty sure that isn't suppose to be loose.  Well now after trying to tightten the nut that holds the tranny bracket on the stud coming out of the tranny now free spins and will not click through any gears.  Is this clear as mud??  I give up!!  Can anyone tell me what I broke now!  In hopefully less words than I wrote!
Russ  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 03/29/10
07:37 PM

the NUT on the inside of the shift shaft that holds the shift detent in place has come loose...

this has happened before to a lot of people...  

Stuart Stuart
User | Posts: 164 | Joined: 04/06
Posted: 08/11/10
06:13 PM

This thread is quite old but the governor on a TH350 is on the drivers or left side.
What you repaired was the accumulator.  
Journeyman mechanic, transmission builder since 1963.

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com