Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

Nissan Versa -bad smell coming from the air conditioning -anyone else?

| 
LoulaAnna LoulaAnna
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/14/10
01:58 PM

Has anyone else experienced a reoccurring bad smell coming from the air-conditioning vents?  I bought my Versa in 2006. About 6 months after I got it there had developed such a bad smell in the car that it was very offensive, almost toxic. I took it back to the dealer.  When I picked it up, the smell was gone and the workman said there was a flaw in the design, that some pan collected moisture which grew mold.  I assumed they had taken it apart and fixed it.  It was under warranty at this time.  The smell came back.  It was not under warranty by this time.  I asked the dealer what had been done before.  They had only taken an industrial spray, similar to Lysol, and sprayed into the air-conditioning vents.  I have to spray Lysol heavily into the air-conditioning vents about every three months, now; which leaves a strong offensive smell itself. This problem along with the fact that the hubcaps fall off and are lost all the time, and the slow take-off when going from 1st to 2nd gear; takes away greatly from the great gas mileage, the wonderful cargo space, the pretty good comfort of the front seats, and the leg room in the backseats.  We will need to purchase another vehicle with good gas mileage sometime in the not-too-distant future.  I am curious to know if the bad smell was just on my vehicle or if this was a flaw design common to other Versas.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 03/15/10
10:25 AM

sorry... i don't personally have any info other than this does happen...

all kinds of things can get in there and cause it..     there have been rodents nests also found in the ductwork of other cars......

sometimes the only way to properly find out and to fix it is to have it the entire case removed and examined for the cause..

you might want to examine the carpet up near the dash board.. see if it is getting moldy... or is wet..  

brinkmanjohn brinkmanjohn
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 11/01/13
03:08 PM

I have a Nissan Juke, I have exactly the same problem. When I turn on the AC, it gives a really strong musty smell that goes on for a minute or so. It gives me migraine. It took me around 6 months to figure out that this was the cause of my migraine. And I think, there is a design flaw in Nissan cars, because this problem is being reported from all the Nissan cars. Spraying the inlets of AC with antibacterial spray masked the musty smell for a week, and now its back again.
There is definitely some part inside the AC where mould is growing continuously.
I have to switch on the car, turn on the AC and leave the car for first few minutes with all the doors open, just to get rid of the musty smell. I am amazed that Nissan has not yet recalled their cars to fix this problem. I think its a big public interest law suite in the making.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Guru | Posts: 1857 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 11/01/13
07:58 PM

find the DRAIN hose from the evaporator box...

disconnect it and spray some of the special evaporator box disinfectant... or... even better... rig some either clear vinyl hose that's the proper size..  and with enough length to let you work OUTSIDE THE car... with the drivers door open...

use a transmission funnel... and pour some hot water and probably something like lysol liquid blend into the funnel and hold it high.. so it runs backwards into the evaporator box...  then lower the hose and let it run out..  or work it back and forth a few times by raising and lowering the end of the hose...

clean the drain hose completely also..

i don't think i would mix up more than a quart. or a quart and a half..

there are kits that allow you to drill a tiny hole in the evaporator case and blow disinfectant into the case...  

some of these spray cans .. also come with a LONG LONG NOZZLE hose.. so you can feed it backwards up the drain hose and right into the box..  an interesting thought.. is to take a sharp knife and cut part way into the sides of the tube about 1/2 inch from the end.. and pinch the end almost closed.. this makes it spray from the sides.. just what you might want...

but if the case drain is clogged... you will be in trouble..

i got some images up ...

2011Jukehvaccase Zps028fa4e3

2011Jukehvacdrain Zps81a4fdbb  

Gary Murr Gary Murr
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/14
Posted: 05/27/14
04:02 PM

Yes, with a 2014 Armada same exact smell and time frame.  Took to dealer and they gave me some B.S about shutting down the air a mile from your destination.And something about it it in the owners manual.Nice try, I just did'nt fall off the turnip truck. However,I had a 2011 Pathfinder, and it did not have this problem  

Gary Murr Gary Murr
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/14
Posted: 05/27/14
04:03 PM

Yes, with a 2014 Armada same exact smell and time frame.  Took to dealer and they gave me some B.S about shutting down the air a mile from your destination.And something about it it in the owners manual.Nice try, I just did'nt fall off the turnip truck. However,I had a 2011 Pathfinder, and it did not have this problem  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com