Xml
Item Posts   

Buick regal 92 3.8L

| 
Buick92regal Buick92regal
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/20/10
04:04 AM

Hi, I have a buick regal 92 3.8L 104000km.  It consumes 20L/100km , plus I'm having same stalling problems at lights or stops. But only on Overdrive, Drive is fine. No check engine light and fuel pump is pumping(sound). Car starts every time, ( longer in winter And my door handle can't open the door but I can from inside).  I've putted lot of $ in this car, even have another for spare parts. Changed spark plugs+ wires, alternator, new battery, fuel filter, oil change every 3500km, flushed coolant, all brakes discs and pad , rear calipers, rear struds, tinted windows, and a well worth installed cd radio( so long to install ), capacitor for 1200w sub.  Please I've made someone check the vaccum lines and seemed fine . I need to know what is problem. Pcv valve? Mass air flow sensor? Crank shaft position sensor? ignition coil? I already thanks any reply  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
08:56 AM

i have a few questions.... does it feel like it is a manual transmission and when coming to a stop the engine cuggs to a stop as if you were not pushing on the clutch pedal????

the reason i ask.... i have had torque converter clutch solenoid problems on the 3 speed 125C transmissions and on the 440T4 over drive versions...

behind the left side cover on the transmission... and yes... you have to pull the axle to get that cover off... and usually drop a section or the whole sub frame to get a good shot at it... (transmission shops have a support bar that hangs the entire engine and transmission from above to do this)   there is a torque converter clutch solenoid.. and one or 2 pressure switches... depending on the application..  

i would really like to have you check the brake light switch under the dash board first...   why... because that brake light switch has 4 wires on it..  2 wires for the brake lights...  2 wires for the torque converter clutch solenoid...

when your foot is not depressing the brake pedal...  the tcc circuit in the switch is closed.. the brake light side is open... when you depress the pedal.. the tcc side opens... and the brake light side closes..  if the switch has worn.. rarely happens.. but i have seen it... if someone has tampered with it...  during electronics install... it might keep the tcc engaged... and do exactly what you describe...

the pressure switch inside the transmission only allows the torque converter clutch to engage in 3 and overdrive...  but its up to the brake pedal to break the circuit...  the ecm also has control over the circuit...

the reason to replace both the pressure switch.. and the solenoid..  they are cheep compared to the labor to get at them...  either can go intermittent..   either can get a piece of debris in it...

be sure to get the top of the side cover pressure washed if you live in an area with dirt and mud... so no dirt can fall in from above..  the transmission fluid and filter should also be changed at this time...

there are several other professional transmission mechanics who will post more information...  i am sure... as this is not an uncommon problem...  

are you also talking about it getting horrible fuel economy..???

can you had the fuel pressure checked???    does the system maintain fuel pressure when the engine is off???  when the engine is running.. can you reach the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator... can you pull it off for a second.. make sure it is not squiring gasoline...  when fuel pressure regulators fail... they can really be hard on the fuel economy....

if you have access to a scan tool.... i can post a link to a chart of what the readings should be on a normally operating motor...  

07:58 PM

My stalling problems happen when i'm about to take off after a stop-light on Overdrive only, not while breaking. It will rev up till it does a big noise that transmission engage after i press on the gas pedal for couple of seconds, at firts i just shifted park then drive again.  Now i use D (3)  so i dont stall in front of people at lights.  Still appreciate info, may  help my mechanic where to look at. And a link to that chart could be usefull. Oh and the loss of 2-3-4 gear on Overdrive happened like 5 times in last 6 months. Also look like i have poor power from engine when breaking not to a complete stop and reaccelerating to continue cruising. No dirt and mud in my area... Im near big city.  Can't exactly say what is my transmission but shifter is on steering wheel( not in middle)  

10:04 PM

Fuel economy is horrible 5km per 1L. of gaz , vaccum lines had already been looked at by mechanic.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
10:25 PM

ok... if your transmission  level is at the full mark when the engine is running and the car is in park... you have other problems...

perhaps a broken filter in the transmission.....

it really sounds like you have a serious transmission problem...     and its time to take it to a professional transmission shop for an estimate..

as for the lack of economy.. it could just be the transmission slipping..  or it could be several other problems...

when i mentioned unplugging the fuel pressure regulator... there was a reason... when they break... the leak fuel into the motor... through the properly connected vacuum hose...

stalling usually describes the engine quitting without turning off the key...   not the car not accelerating do to the transmission slipping...  

Posted: 01/21/10
04:10 AM

I have a 92 Regal with the 3.8 liter engine, the car has 53,000 miles. Recently it started giving me the following problems;

1 - If I come to a stop sign from 30-40mph and I stop there seems to be a delayed engagement of 1st gear, no clunk or jerk. I have to manually shift to D1 to get the gear to engage quickly. This seems to happen primarily when in Overdrive, if I am in Drive it engages 1st gear right away.

2 - The same problem happens on the highway in Overdirve and if traffic suddenly stops the 1st gear will not engage right away.
3 - really bad fuel economy  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Buick Regal
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
N

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com