Xml
Item Posts   

97 Mercury Sable Transmission Problem

| 
anna72291 anna72291
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/07/10
02:46 PM

My car currently has 82k miles on it. I live in PA but attend college in FL. I drove home for the break, and had no problems with my car. On the way back to FL, however, the check engine light came on. I figured I would check it out when I got back down here. So I took it to autozone, and they said the code was either due to low fluid or transmission failure. They advised me to go to a transmission shop across the street, so I did. I dropped it off for a diagnostic test. They said that the transmission was failing and gave me an estimate of $1200-1700. They didn't give me any details, but they did call my father so maybe they gave him more details? Is this a fair price for this repair? The shop said that the transmission could go at any time, so I haven't been driving it. Please, someone give me some advice! :/  

anna72291 anna72291
02:47 PM

Also, something else I wanted to mention. Sometimes when I shift from reverse to drive, the car hesitates for a few seconds, then goes forward. I have no clue if this is relevant but I think it is.

and also, my dad told the shop that he thinks we should just sell the car. but I dont have money to buy another car, and i doubt he will buy me another car. I bought this car. Should this problem be fixed or should I just give up on this car [which I don't want to do].  

anna72291 anna72291
05:55 PM

is anyone going to help?  

440t4 440t4
Guru | Posts: 1009 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 01/08/10
08:11 AM

1st what was the code that auto zone got? 2nd   $1700 is cheap for a trans overhaul on that car.I would be surprised if the bill wasnt over $2000 when all is said and done. Basically it comes down to what the car is worth to you.What can you buy for $2000? Not much.If you fix the trans you have a car with a reasonable amount of mileage on it and you wont have to worry about transmission problems in the future {hopefully}.If you buy a used car for $2000 who knows what your gonna get. Try to get it in writing that the job wont be over $1700 including torque convertor,all hard parts,internal electrical parts and warranty.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com