Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

2001 Dodge Dakota - Ignition problem or battery cable???

| 
tolinrome tolinrome
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/01/10
03:09 PM

One night about 6 weeks ago the truck wouldn't start, the key wouldn't even move forward a centimeter when trying to turn it. It was 'locked'. Finally after trying for a while it just turned and the engine started. This started happening more frequently when I noticed that if I giggled the positive cable on the battery the key would then turn and start the engine. Sometimes my wife would have to open the hood and bang on the terminal and then she said she would be able to turn the key and start. Now it's happening about every day where I have to giggle the positive cable to get it going, sometimes moving it for 10 -1 5 minutes. So I thought that there must be some shortage or loose connection or something that the ignition must sense power from the batter before starting.
I brang the truck to a mechanic and he said that it's just coincidence and that the real problem is the lock tumblers or the key is old and worn and to just put graphite in the key ignition and it should work - I tried that but the problem remains.
Sometimes it starts no problem but half the time I have to giggle things around or just keep trying to turn it until it finally turns over.
What can the problem be?
The battery is about 8 months old so I don't think that can be the problem.
Thanks!  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 01/01/10
07:06 PM

there are several other threads on this...

yes... the problem is with the tumblers in the ignition lock cylinder...

there are several ways to fix it....

replace it...   dorman  products sells one available through most parts stores as a kit...    uncoded... with enough new tumblers to key it to your existing key...

they also have videos online to show how to do it..

a gentle rapping with a rubber mallet will sometimes free it up.. as will a shoe used as a hammer..

you will have to copy and paste these links to get to the videos..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTad_jUyTuA

or google dormanproducts...

Steering, Ignition Lock Cylinders
Item Number Description 924-703  
2008-98 Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Vehicles
Make: Chrysler
OE #: 5083915AB

the dorman parts is also about half of what a put together version is...

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&source=hp&q=924-703&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

you can also watch the video on how to take it out and apart... then remove all the tumblers and springs..  and put it back in...

some people have also walked into lock smith shops and had them install new tumblers in the existing lock... its a lot cheeper to carry it in..   not all lock smith shops have the proper rekeying kits.. so be careful...   ask for the old parts back..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com