Xml
Item Posts   

2000 Honda Passport Transmission Trouble

| 
scoot28 scoot28
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/05/09
06:22 AM

hello.. I've got a 2000 Honda passport 2wd automatic. The transmission started making a whistling sound and later got to the point it would not go forward.. But it was gradual from not so bad to just won't go at all.. At one point i could cut the car off and back on and then it would go for a little while..

What is you opinion on my problem?

Thanks
Scott  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
12:00 PM

just curious if you have checked the fluid level.????

or checked for leaks....   automatics will not work if the fluid level is low...

honda automatics when doing transmission service is done... call for the fluid to be changed 3 times in short order to make sure to get it all clean...      

and only to use honda synthetic transmission fluid..  

440t4 440t4
Guru | Posts: 1009 | Joined: 04/09
11:36 PM

Actually a Honda Passport is really an Izuzu Rodeo and the Transmission is the General Motors 4L30E. That trans is also in the Cadillac Catera and some BMW's

Anyway when a filter is clogging up the car will run for a few minutes after sitting overnight and then wont move anymore .If you shut the car off for a minute and try it again it will move briefly then stop again.At least one or two cars with that exact problem show up in every trans shop every week.What clogs the filter is parts coming apart in the trans.Half the time its the tourque convertor clutch disintegrating .  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 12/06/09
12:48 AM

oh.... thats also the one that you have to pump trans fluid up from the bottom of the pan...  what a wonderful design..  i wonder if the  person who designed that got a bonus???

i had a rover 3500S that you had to put it on a rack to add fluid.. at least the filler tube was clear... so you could just look at it..

and it has the sealing plug... on the overdrive section...  that when it leaks.. it sprays hot transmission fluid right at the hot exhaust system..    i wonderful way to warn the driver.. clouds of smoke out the back of the car.. just before it stops moving do to the lack of transmission fluid..  

440t4 440t4
Posted: 12/09/09
07:34 PM

Yea that rubber plug is the 1-2 accumulator cover. They give you a new one in the rebuild kit i dont know if they are even available separately.  

RuthN RuthN
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/23/10
10:17 AM

I am currently having the same problem. I am waiting to hear back from the mechanic to see if my transmission is completely damaged or if I just have to replace the belts inside the transmission. What happened to your vehicle? Were you able to determine what the cause was and how much it would cost to repair it?  

440t4 440t4
Posted: 03/25/10
08:21 AM

right now your mechanic is trying to figure out whats the most he can charge you without you walking away from the truck.My guess is $2600 let me know how i did.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com