Xml
Item Posts   

94 jeep grand cherokee limited....

| 
Rheanna Rheanna
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/02/09
12:37 AM

I am having huge problems with my transmission!! Its making a weird whining noise and when i put it in drive it goes for a minute and acts like it slips out of gear then just revs. I tryed second to get home and it did the same thing!! I know a little about my car but not enough! I need some advice to get it going again and since i am a girl the guys at shops try to take advantage of me.. Confused  Please help!!!! I am going to change the filter and check my fluid but i dont thinks its something that small!! Please dont tell me rebuild!!!! Thanks! -R.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 10/02/09
09:35 AM

when the fluid level gets low....  it will slips out of gear like you describe and then kick in again...  

driving it with it doing that is really hard on the front pump... and the clutches inside the transmission..

the transmission uses transmission fluid to move and push things around inside the transmission.      when the fluid gets low... it will loose pressure and slip out and in... until it looses enough fluid to stop...  or it breaks something inside..

the front pump pulls fluid from the pan and pressurizes it and sends it into the valve body that controls where it goes...

but the pump is driven by the torque converter and thats spinning at engine speed...    when the fluid pressure is dropped.. the tight clearances that are usually lubed and cooled by the transmission fluid are rubbing metal to metal... this really tears them up..

i hate to tell you... but ... you have a significant probability that you will need a transmission rebuild soon...

what has not been really explained...  is... the transmission is really a wear item...  its full of friction materials just like your brake pads and shoes...  and even through they are lubed with the transmission fluid... they do wear....      and just like your brakes...   it depends on how the driver drives the car... and if the transmission ever starts to leak...

i have seen cars that went over 200,000 miles without wearing out the transmission... and other drivers that had the same model need several transmissions in 100,000...

the whining noise you hear is probably the pump screaming for fluid..  as the pump is dry and the pump gears have no fluid to keep them separated...  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com