1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

1998 S10 Blazer HVAC Problem

| 
Papa2Twins Papa2Twins
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/28/09
06:27 PM

I have a '98 Blazer with the "Computer Climate Control where the Heat and A/C can be dialed in to a specific Temp and it cycles as necessary. I recently disconnected the Negative post of the battery to do some maintenance and the HVAC system hasn't worked since. It just blows on Full Hot even when the system is turned off. I've gone thru the "Computer Reset" process and it failed to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Could I have shorted out the Controller when I reconnected the battery?

Thanks

John  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 10/28/09
07:49 PM

just curious....  when you say.. you disconnected the negative terminal on the battery... the engine was shut off right..

if it was running.. and you disconnect the battery... the output current from the alternator has no place to go.. so it builds up...

build up of electrons is Voltage..   the alternator can make over 100 volts for a split second when the battery is disconnected with the engine running..

there are blend doors and heater control valves...   both may be controlled by vacuum... autozone does not list the fully automatic system on their site up to 98 trucks...  i take it that it is a full size blazer..   not an S10 blazer..

check for vacuum signal at the heater control valve...  

Eautorepair.net
or
alldatadiy.com will have the full factory repair info online..

sorry i cannot be more help...

i will check a little more over at Autozone.com..  perhaps on one of the newer trucks...  

Papa2Twins Papa2Twins
Posted: 10/29/09
05:18 PM

Thanks for the response - I do have the S10 Blazer. Checked all the vacuum's and checks good. I found that for some reason the "Mix" door is not opening up completely when I tested the system. Cannot imagine anything being able to get in behind the door, so I'm wondering about a bad solenoid. Btw - I DID have the engine off when I disconnected the negative post - I know - you HAD to ask - LOL.

John  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Posted: 10/30/09
04:51 AM

pens and pencils down the defroster vents have been known to jam things...

the actuators do fail... the blend doors do wedge... and need to be replaced...

Air Conditioning, Air Door Actuators
Item Number 604-100     GM C, K, S Series Trucks 2006-93.
Description: Air Door Actuator
Make: GM
OE #: 16124922, 89018356
Brand: Dorman - OE Solutions

i know of one car that had over 1K of ac repairs.. and it would still not blow cold.. after the ac shop could not fix it.. i ended up looking at the car... seems they failed to examine the tiny vacuum hose..  it had small cracks where it was bent... it would not pass a hand pump vacuum hold test...   20 bucks worth of tube.. and most of an hour on my back under the dash and it was fixed...

hand held vacuum pumps are available ... i like the brass bodied brake bleeder vacuum pump from harbor freight.. double its uses.. 20 bucks.. last time i checked..  

Papa2Twins Papa2Twins
Posted: 10/31/09
03:55 PM

I'll do the Vacuum leak test for sure. How can I test the Control Unit to make sure I'm getting a signal at the Temperature Actuator that moves the mix door?  

RJDAWSON RJDAWSON
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/28/11
10:09 AM

Great info, is there a site to print drawings of HVAC?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
11:12 AM

the service manual in print...

ac repair manual sections...

online at   autozone.com when logged in...  repair info..

if you need some specific info or image.. i might be able to find it..
online at eautorepair.net

online at  alldatadiy.com  

RJDAWSON RJDAWSON
01:23 PM

I am having the same problem as Papa2twins. Not sure which actuator is malfunctioning. I see three. One on the drivers side and two on the other, which both of thoes seem to be stroking. The drivers side however has no movement that I can see. I'll check autozone.com. Thanks  

RJDAWSON RJDAWSON
Posted: 05/29/11
11:16 AM

Drivers side actuator dose work it shifts air flow to the windsheld.Looks like the actuator on the passenger side of the housing seems to stroke through the opreations slection and the thirde opens when Hi AC is on, but all are stroking. Looking at the temp adjustment pot for power. So is there a motor or solenoid  up in there controling water flow ?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
11:44 AM

981022TS08 525

010827TE09 542

980610TE09 556

these might help..

but i don't have in my library or files much of anything on the HVAC on these trucks..

the eautorepair.net and the alldatadiy.com  sites both have it...

there is some info at the autozone.com web site... in the repair info.. but its limited at AZ owns alldata.. so its just enough to get you by for popular items..  

RJDAWSON RJDAWSON
12:32 PM

Wow, thanks waynep7122, I'm sure the drawings will help me and the other 1635 viewers from the past few days. I was having trouble on the autozone.com site finding much info.
What an ending to the Indy 500.  5/29/11  

waynep7122 waynep7122
02:04 PM

i too saw that car on turn 4.. and was squirming... thinking to myself... NO!!!!  don't pass there....

i wonder if some of the crew have gone over and taken a picture of the smudge marks on the wall .. for reproduction back on the wall of the shop...     with a left pointing arrow...  saying 2011 indy 500 finish line.. 900 foot to the left...  

thats going to be a clip that gets replayed again and again... almost as bad as the poor skier on the wide world of sports for 2 decades...  

RJDAWSON RJDAWSON
Posted: 05/30/11
08:04 AM

Yes the 'Agony of defeat' will linger with that boy for a long time. The drawings have helped. I havefound all the acuators on the damper unit and have visually seen them function. this takes me back to the temp control. I have found the wiring goingto a unit on top of the damper box. It looks like #4 on the TS08-525 drawing. I don't find this item or wireing to it in my Haynes book or on your drawing TE09-542 only the conector item
#6 is shown on that drawing. I will try an ohms reading on both ends. If it is the control pot on the dash is it replacible? Do you know what the ohms reading should be? Vacum is not the issue. Per your sugestion I picked up a vac pump yesterday. Gotta have it back together today.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
08:19 AM

that is the blend door actuator...

its some kind of motor with feedback .. .i have not had one in my hands as i usually don't mess with ac...   there have also been problems with broken blend doors....  actuators that have gone bad...

this is what it looks like....  there are 2 versions.. one for manual ac one for automatic...

waynep7122 waynep7122
08:25 AM

looks like the manual control version has a different connector count...

Dorman/A/C Heater Blend Door Actuator
For your 1998 Chevrolet Truck S10 P/U 2WD 4.3L SFI 6cyl
Part Number: 604-100
Application: Manual A/C controls
Notes: Dorman-OE SolutionsTemperature door. With heavy duty heater

~~~~~~~~~

the version on the upper post is

Part Number: 604-106
Application: Automatic A/C controls  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2