Ad Radar

Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

HELP PLEASE! My car keeps shutting off on me while driving!

| 
hanguksimon hanguksimon
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/09/09
11:31 AM

Hi, I recently started having a problem with my engine shutting down on my 92 Prelude Si, its got about 220000 miles on the body but the engine was rebuilt due to accident. It first happened a week ago right after I filled up gas, I went to turn the ignition and it just died, not cranking, no sound, just completely shutdown, and the lights wouldn't turn on or anything. As if battery was completely dead. My buddy jumped me and I was good to go. Couple days later, it shut down on my while i was driving, I think I was in second gear slowly accelerating, and I couldn't crank it over for a few minutes. Then it was fine. Then next day same problem, much more frequent, every 10 to 15 minutes it would shut down while driving and the check engine light comes on and shuts off. It would crank but not start until a few times cranking and hitting gas, and once it starts, check engine light dissappears until it shuts down again. Any suggestions? I am going to clean battery terminals, check voltage on the battery, voltage on alternator. Any help would be great! Thanks!  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 10/09/09
10:02 PM

you need to have over 14.2 volts on the battery with the engine running..  please use a digital volt meter..

do clean the battery cables..

you might also have a problem with the grounds...

battery to engine..   battery to body... engine to body...

use the volt meter on 20 volt scale...   negative battery post to engine block with the engine running..   should be less than 0.2 volts..

then with the head lights on.   battery negative to body..   should be less than 0.2 volts..

if you have more..   then you have a bad ground..

you might also thing about replacing the efi main relay under the left side of the dash if you have not replaced it in the last 60 to 100K miles..

clean the battery cables... first.. use HOT Water..  a stainless steel brush or battery brush...  

hanguksimon hanguksimon
Posted: 10/17/09
11:34 AM

Ok, sorry for taking so long to reply, I have replace my batter terminals because they were badly corroded, and I have gotten my battery and alternator tested at advanced auto parts, and both are fine. Now when the vehicle stalls, the power doesn't shut off, just dies and check engine light comes on and it takes a few cranks with me furiously hitting the gas simultaneously, are these signs of fuel pump to injectors?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 10/17/09
05:37 PM

did you change or remove.. open and inspect the circuit board on the main relay under the dashboard... you can sometimes resolder the circuit board where the wires come through as the solder cracks do to thermal cycling..

Duralast / Relay - Main
For your 1992 Honda Prelude 2.2L FI 4cyl

Part Number: 20508

OEM Number: 39400-Ss0-003

go to autozone.com...  look up the part.. its listed in the electrical  section of the parts..  or punch in the 20508 part number... it will have multiple pictures of the relay...  it is usually on the left side of the steering column..

the main relay.. will cause all kinds of honda problems.. as it has 2 internal relays.. one to power the ecm/fuel injection.. the other to power the fuel pump...

there is a small chance that it could be the electrical part of the ignition switch...   or the alarm system... or a previously installed alarm system that is not active but still spliced in..

seems it might be likely to also be the electrical part of the ignition switch .. as the autozone hub stores stock them..

Duralast / Ignition Switch
For your 1992 Honda Prelude 2.3L MFI DOHC 4cyl
Part Number: LS888
OEM Number: 35130- SS0- 303; 35130- SS0- 306; 35130- SS0- A01  

hanguksimon hanguksimon
Posted: 11/07/09
01:30 PM

Ok everyone, so sorry I have lagged this long again to post results, been super busy, well, I broke down and took the ride to the mechanic, and after everything, it was the distributor, it was done, got a new one, running like a champ again, thanks for all the help everyone!  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com