Xml
Item Posts   

2000 pontiac sunfire rear brakes locking up when brakes applied

| 
pontiac35hp pontiac35hp
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 02/06
Posted: 02/11/06
10:22 AM

please help i have a 2000 pontiac sunfire replaced rear drum brakes 6 months ago.been working fine all that time today i replaced front pads and installed new rotors.backed out of garage and started forward and when i applied brakes car squatted in rear and rear brakes completely lock up as if emergency brake is on.if i back up and brakes ok but when i go forward same thing when i apply brakes.please help tonite (sat nite)i need this car on road mon morning. i have worked on it all day and tried everything i know. any ideas ?  

Rapid Robert Rapid Robert
Enthusiast | Posts: 328 | Joined: 01/06
Posted: 02/12/06
01:44 PM

What have you tried? Have you checked to see that the parking brake is released? Have you removed rear drums to check the brakes? Is the parking brake cable not releasing the brakes?  

Rapid Robert Rapid Robert
Enthusiast | Posts: 328 | Joined: 01/06
Posted: 02/12/06
01:56 PM

I forgot to mention a couple of things. Sometimes especially with an older master cylinder what will happen is that you will lose hydraulic pressure, since most braking is done on the front. The back way be only getting the brake fliud with propper amount of pressure. Another thing, Did you bleed the front brakes properly?  

tommy m tommy m
Enthusiast | Posts: 327 | Joined: 12/05
Posted: 02/13/06
12:49 AM

more info    is it hanring up or locked up   will they release when u take ur foot off the pedd/ ??  i would say u left some pats off like springs or a pin broke  

pontiac35hp pontiac35hp
12:09 PM

my background-i have basic brake knowledge and have done my own brakes for my whole life.i opened brakefluid cap before compressing cylinders even went back and checked all 4 wheels and everything right.didnt touch anything and sun nite put wheels and hubs back on and decided to drive it and try again and figure out what goig on and everything works fine now,my wife drove mon w no problems.troubl is this is my daughters car and i want to figure out what happened before i put her back in it. any ideas ?  

pontiac35hp pontiac35hp
12:16 PM

also parking brake seemed to release fine.and your other question the back brakes would stay locked up until i backed up and started forward again  

pontiac35hp pontiac35hp
12:17 PM

i also bled brakes when troubleshooting no air in lines and this did not help  

doratheexplorer doratheexplorer
User | Posts: 235 | Joined: 12/05
Posted: 02/14/06
01:00 AM

Recheck the return springs and replace if necessary. If they're fine, you may need to rebuild/replace the wheel cylinder.  

mech22 mech22
User | Posts: 67 | Joined: 01/06
Posted: 02/15/06
10:27 AM

on the master clyinder there is 2 valves they look like two big nuts. Remove and clean these two valves. When you pressed the front calipers back you pushed trash from the calipers into the master cylinder. and now the valves are stuck  

pontiac35hp pontiac35hp
Posted: 02/16/06
07:08 AM

mech22 been driving car all week with no problem do you think i should still do this or leave well enough alone.and also if i do this will it let air in lines and will i need to bleed?  

pontiac35hp pontiac35hp
Posted: 02/16/06
07:09 AM

mech22 been driving car all week with no problem do you think i should still do this or leave well enough alone.and also if i do this will it let air in lines and will i need to bleed?  

svneily svneily
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 03/04/06
10:58 AM

My 98 sunfire does the same thing.  What did you do to fix the problem?  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com