Xml
Item Posts   

Toyota Corolla starts, then engine dies

| 
geewhiz808 geewhiz808
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/20/09
01:31 AM

I have a 94 Toyota Corolla.  Car starts up in the morning fine, but then engine dies when I start to drive.  Car has been acting sluggish all week.  Anyone know what the problem could be?  

waynep712 waynep712
Enthusiast | Posts: 652 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 07/20/09
06:55 AM

clogged fuel injectors....  i have seen it happen many times....    cold engines require richer mixtures. the injectors get clogged and cannot spray enough fuel as the engine needs to run properly..

there are several pour in the tank fuel injector cleaners that might help.... i lean toward the B12 chem tool brands of fuel injector cleaner...   chem tool also sells a carb cleaner in a one pint pour can...   NOT THEIR CARB DIP...   white metal can.. little screw on cap...   use a transmission funnel to pour the liquid in the gas tank...   don't spill it... it will melt paint...

the trick with fuel injector cleaner in...  you have to operate the car with  a heavy right foot a few times... so you open the injectors for a longer period of time to get the cleaner through... this has worked...

do not use more than one bottle... at a time...  

professional mechanics have systems that disconnect the fuel lines.. and pump their special fuel injector cleaning solvents through the injectors while the engine is running...

people have also removed the injectors...   used an extra injector connector and a 9 volt battery with some carb spray through various sizes of hoses clamped over the spray nozzle to clean the injectors off the car...   this really works great...  but you do need to know what you are doing...  and you need to install new injector Orings and  care when putting it back together.. or you will have fuel leaks and probably a fire ... which is really hard on the car.. and your wallet...

you should also change your fuel filter... that can become restricted and cause lack of power also....  

dnorman251 dnorman251
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/29/09
06:13 PM

i have a 2000 corolla ve that doesnt start when its hot outside if you leave the windows up in the heat it will not start when you roll the windows down and wait about 15 -20 min for it to cool off in side it starts right up. any ideas  it doesnt seem to be getting any fire when this happens?im dont know whats wrong?  

waynep712 waynep712
Enthusiast | Posts: 652 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 07/29/09
08:09 PM

thats really strange... and its going to be hard to figure out..

does the engine crank but not start when it is hot inside the car????

if the engine does not crank.. look at the aftermarket alarm systems.. loose connectors... start system relays..  where is the ecm????

starter cranks the engine when in failure mode??

starter does not crank the motor when in failure mode???

got any ECM codes???? you do need a scan tool with a 2001...   an OBD2 scan tool that displays live data... so you can see what the ecm is seeing... makes it so much easier to diagnose cars...  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Toyota Corolla
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
Excellent Excellent

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com