Xml
Item Posts   

2000 chevy malibu won't start

| 
jay119 jay119
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/12/09
06:38 AM

can someone please help me i have a 2000 chevy malibu that won't start.. i just got a new started put in about a month ago and now its acting up AGAIN this is like the 4th or 5th time it wont start for me i was reading about the anti-theft so i tryed the 10min trick but it didnt work maybe i did it wrong or maybe thats not even the problem.. the light is on (anti-theft) when i turn it on but when i turn it off and then turn it on it goes off but it still wont start i hate chevys its been sitting there for 3 days now and i need a car but i have no more money for it at the time im sick of the same problem first it was the turn signals fixed that then it was the starter fixed that now i dnt know... not inluding having to do the brakes AND roters every like 6 to 8 months cuz my car eats them.. i dnt know what to do can someone please.. help me!! Frown  

waynep712 waynep712
Enthusiast | Posts: 652 | Joined: 10/08
08:04 AM

did you try spraying the lock cylinder insides with WD40??????  then working the key in and out... and turning the lock on and off a bunch of times to clean the contacts with the wet wd40...

this has worked....      sometimes, most of the time... you have to change the ignition lock cylinder...

here is a trick that will save tons of time and money...

there are 15 different key blanks... (different resister values)    replacement lock cylinders come with a NON resistor key...

buy the replacement lock ...  take the replacement non resistor key to the locksmith shop... along with the existing key.. have them measure the resistance of the old key...  have them cut the new key on the blank that matches the old key resistance..

you can now take that ignition lock cylinder to any decent mechanic... and have it installed... or even if you have the ability and a few tools.. do it your self...  there are instructions over on the autozone.com web site.. you have to log in... to get to teh repair info page...  the lock cylinder replacement instructions is in the steering section... then look for the steering column link..  then you will find.. the lock cylinder replacement instructions...

you will need a set of TORX wrenches... i usually use a torx key set... looks like a pocket knife..

you will also need  a steering wheel puller... and that model might need a special version...

you may also need a steering lock plate depressor...

some sockets... some screwdrivers...

if you are lacking .. it is usually cheeper to get a mechanic to do it... price it around..

there are also steering column repair guys at most help your self junk yards...

as for the fast wear on the brake pads.... i have several customers who went to carbon metallic brake pads...  almost tripled their brake pad replacement intervals..

i have also found.   that driving the car in lower gears in traffic will reduce wear on the brakes...

the ecm is trying to get you the best economy.... so as soon as you take off... it upshifts... to second. third and overdrive.. then it locks the torque converter clutch...  with the car at 25 mph.. you have to ride the brake... to stop from running into the car infront of you... so in traffic...  pull it back to drive or second...  let some room infront of you build up... that way you also take the rush and surge out of the traffic....    oh... if you do your own brakes... some parts chains.. have one year and on some pads.. life time warrantees...  

the key messing up... will lock you out of the system for 4 minutes...

reply and post any more problems or questions...  

jay119 jay119
08:14 AM

im going to try the wd40 as far as the rest i will ask my dad to try it im a female and dnt no much about fixing cars.. i saw somewhere that the anti theft 10min trick can take longer then 10mins and alot of trys.. did you ever hear about that or do you know if that works?? I hate chevys this is so freakin bad i just wish i could get a new car lol  

jay119 jay119
10:43 AM

can some1 please help me.. i disconnected the battery and put it back on it tryed to start almost catch and turn over this time and then stoped again i dnt know what it could be and i tryed the 10min thing three times to reset the anti theft and nothing i dnt think its that cuz the anti theft isnt blinking its just lite up PLEASE HELP...  

waynep712 waynep712
11:05 AM

when you turn on the key ... can you hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds????    have somebody listen at the tank... no sound when the key is first turned on.....    have somebody pound on the bottom of the gas tank...   while you are cranking the engine...

electric fuel pumps do stick sometimes...  pounding on the bottom of the fuel tank while you are cranking the motor will get them to spin about 80 percent of the time...

there is a problem with disconnecting the battery.. is also erases the trouble codes that may have been set...  preventing knowing what code the engine computer had will save time...  

jay119 jay119
11:30 AM

i will try that now i hope it works.. so i have to bang it under the car by the wheel or under the gas tank between the wheel well?? what code are you talking about and how would i be able to read the code?  

secretwavex secretwavex
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/09
11:31 AM

Does this car have a brake interlock system? If so, have you tried depressing the brake pedal while attempting to start? - secretwavex  

jay119 jay119
11:33 AM

i dont even know what a brake interlock system is but i will try what u said  

jay119 jay119
11:36 AM

i tryed pushing the brake down while starting it but nothing.. is that what i was supost to do  

waynep712 waynep712
Posted: 06/13/09
07:26 AM

there are some things that cannot be fixed by waiting 10 minutes and pressing the brake pedal.....

or even disconnecting the battery....

cars are complex...  

sometimes one has to get professional help...

it still could be the antitheft system....

that has happened a lot lately...

you really do need a scan tool on these to see whats happening with the system... a scan tool that displays live data...  with that you can look at what the computer sees...  and if you have training in what the sensor signals should be ... you would know what might be the problem...    

consumer scan tools start at around 100 bucks...      professional mechanics scan tools... start with a basic model at about 1500 bucks..   but most mechanics have well over $5,000 bucks in their professional models....    many have several modes... at $5,000+.... and spend close to $1,000 bucks a year on new data for them....   now you understand why they charge 80 bucks to plug them in...

there is a OBD2 connector under your dashboard to plug scan tools into... code readers can also be plugged in there..  there is a chance that you erased any stored data when you unhooked the battery..  if it erased the codes.????

there are thousands of possible codes that can be set by the computer and other systems...  page after page of trouble shooting information for each code...  the obd2 data will also show it the anti theft system is turn on...

harbor freight tools has a 98614 scan tool...

there are dozens of different scan tools...  available...   the best priced with the most data accessed  consumer unit i have found for domestic cars is a US703... google it...  

HelMech HelMech
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/19/09
01:23 PM

Need some help here, I have a 2000 chevy malibu that has sit for a couple years with out gas. I am trying to start it, it turns over good with good spark (even runs when I spray ether down the air intake) however I cant get it to start. I have changed the fuel filter and turned the key on but cant hear the fuel pump kick in. I also noticed the anti-theft light stays on steady, I tried to leave the key on for 10+ minutes but ti stays on.

any suggestions would be helpfull since I really dont want to have to change the fuel pump.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 09/19/09
11:35 PM

you can pound on the bottom of the fuel tank while someone is cranking the motor...  that will usually get the pump to run.. at least once...

sometimes... there is nothing else to do but properly fix the problem... one thing... are the chevy malibu's related to the toyotas..  

yes.. i can see the expensive fuel pump assembly...  250 to 400 bucks plus to put it in.. one thing... the fuel tank is under the rear seat... take the rear seat bottom out.. see if there is an access hatch...  

autozone.com does have the fuel pump diagnostic pages... depending on which motor.. there are 3 or 4 pages of trouble shooting of the fuel pump power system...

you will also need a scan tool that reads live data and has gm programs installed..   google a US703 scan tool... that is one that can do some of the stuff... some body at amazon sells them...  i have the next model down... got it at harbor freight.. wish i knew about the next model up.. it would help a lot..  

HelMech HelMech
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/20/09
06:34 AM

I have tried to pound on the bottom of the fuel tank, I will look under the seat and see if there is an access panel, that will save me alot of time if there is one, thx for the reply.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com