Ad Radar

Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L/42RE Automatic Transmission problem.

| 
ChrisBailey ChrisBailey
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/10/09
08:43 PM

My father has a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with (as best as I can tell) the 42RE transmission. Recently it began erratically shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear while in the mid-range rpm's during acceleration. Soon after that the transmission stopped shifting out of 3rd gear altogether. Reverse and and shifting from 1st to 2nd works fine and it seems to have plenty of power and torque with no slippage in those gears until it wants to shift into 3rd. Unfortunately due to my father's limited fixed income (and mine) we are unable to have anything done professionally or to purchase a new transmission. I was wondering how complicated it would be for two mildly mechanically inclined individuals to rebuild the 42RE transmission with a retail rebuild kit. I was also wondering if I needed to be aware of anything in particular when purchasing a rebuild kit for this transmission (I see the rebuild kits advertised for this tranny but several different vehicles, are they all the same?). Any help would be appreciated and I would also like to know if the above symptoms could be contributed to a problem that wouldn't require a rebuild.  

waynep712 waynep712
Enthusiast | Posts: 652 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 06/10/09
09:33 PM

there are so many things that can cause problems...

get a scan tool that will read transmission diagnostics...

not all of them *** read the scan tool owners manual first...

search google shopping for a US703 scan tool...  it's from china... as are most of the others... but it shows that it accesses the transmission data on gm, ford and chrysler... i have not tried that model yet..

there are also ATSG manuals for that transmission that you will need... they are also available for download...

if its not slipping.. it might be electrical... that transmission is controlled by the ecm...

you will also need to locate a wholesale transmission parts supplier...  a store that sells to local transmission rebuilders... they have used units they tear down for hard parts to sell.. and will also have stuff that is not in the kit... bushing, thrust washers. .....  

440t4 440t4
Guru | Posts: 1009 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 06/11/09
12:47 PM

Does the trans go to neutral or slip  when attempting to shift from 2nd to 3rd or does it stay in 2nd?The only shifting element controlled by the computer is the governor pressure solinoid.If your trans is shifting normally from 1st to 2nd then an electrical problem is not likely.3rd gear consists of the forward clutch and the direct clutch being applied.The direct clutch is also on in reverse.occasionally i have seen situations where the direct drum would not work in 3rd but would work in reverse because reverse uses much higher line pressure than 3rd.  

jrussellos jrussellos
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/14/10
09:26 AM

I have the same car and the same problem, today it wouldnt go into 1st gear, reverse nothing, I had to have it towed and am bracing for the call from the Auto Shop.....I wish I had an idea of how much this would cost me...  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com