Xml
Item Posts   

Stuttering RPMs/High RPMs = No Acceleration

| 
DJoseph DJoseph
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 05/17/09
04:59 PM

I'm having a problem with my car: It's a 1999 Volvo V70GLT 2.4L Turbo Wagon. (Automatic)
Recently I'd put a pair of subwoofers in the back of my car. I noticed some rougher shifting in the transmission, obviously from the added weight in the back. However, I started noticing when I gave it a lot of gas first starting out or in neutral, it tends to stutter getting up to RPMs and accelerating. When I'm up to a certain speed already and put it to the floor, the RPMs go up but no acceleration is taking place AT ALL. It's like the gears aren't even catching. This is just the back story to the real problem. I took the subwoofers out and it seemed to correct itself over time. So I thought great! It's not a transmission problem! ... I put a cold air intake in the car a few weeks ago, but had a few complications with it. I had to disconnect the Mass Air Flow Sensor that was on the old box filter to get any kind of power out of it at all. It worked if we put the sensor between the cone filter and the pipes, but it drained any power out of the motor. So of course, we just left the sensor out. The problem with that was the radiator fan would turn on whenever I shut the car off. It would turn off eventually, but it drained my battery to death. I got tired of jumping my car whenever I needed to go somewhere or get back, so I put the old box filter back in. When I turned the car on and revved it up, I had the SAME DAMN PROBLEM I had before I took the subwoofers out. Now, I'm thinking, it had nothing to do with the weight at all. Slower acceleration, yes, but not the cause of the problem at hand. I was playing with it for a while today, and then I had an idea. I thought, "just for shits and giggles..." and unplugged the sensor. I wasn't getting nearly as much power as I was with the cold air intake, but it ran like it should. Now  I'm thinking, there's got to be something wrong with my Mass Air Flow Sensor, right? If it's not that, I don't know what it is! Maybe my car is just stupid. Engines work on a 1:1 ratio. Gas and air. If my car isn't letting enough air into the engine, could my problem be a result? I'm stumped on this one. Anybody have any ideas?  

JRDRAGRACER JRDRAGRACER
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 05/21/09
11:16 AM

FIRST OF ALL YOU NEED THE MAS AIR FLOW SENSOR HOOKED UP IN THE AIR INLET SYSTEM SO YHE COMPUTER KNOWS THE AMOUNT OF AIR GOING INTO YOU INTAKE SYSTEM.ENGINES RUN ON 14.7 TO 1 AIR TO FUEL NOT 1TO1 .INSTALLING A SPEAKER BOX SHOULDNT MAKE YOUR CAR SLOW DOWN THAT MUCH WE YOU TAKE OFF UNLESS IT WEIGHS OVER 200 LBS,YOU SHOULD NEVER NOTICE THE EXTER WIEGHT.IF YOU DONT HAVE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON YOU SHOULD.YOU NEED TO HAVE IT CHECKED OUT FOR CODES.THE RPMS GOING UP AND NOT SPEEDING UP IS MORE THAN LIKELY IN THE TRANSMISSION BUT GET THE CODES PULLED AND GO FROM THERE,YOU MAY HAVE ONE OR MORE SENSORS GOING BAD ON THIS CAR CAUSING THESE PROBLEMS.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com