Xml
Item Posts   

2005 Chrysler Town & Country LX CHeck Engine Light

| 
dkmontgomery dkmontgomery
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 03/03/09
04:51 PM

I have a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country and the check engine light is staying on. I keep it serviced regularly as well. I did remove the battery cable for several minutes but the light came back on and is staying on. Everything appears to be running okay and I have noticed nothing except the light being on. I just hit 100,000 miles, but the lite has been on a little while before this.
I was curious if there is a code reader that I can purchase that might aid me in figuring out what is causing the light to stay on. I know there are different code readers that indivudals can buy, but am not sure what to do. Any help is appreciated! Grin  

waynep712 waynep712
Enthusiast | Posts: 652 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 03/03/09
09:43 PM

OBD2 code readers start at about 35 bucks...    obd 2 scanners start at about 120 bucks..

many parts stores will read your codes... for you...   without a code.. and there are thousands... there is no way to know what is wrong...

repost if you can get a code...  be sure to write them down...    

whats really nice is when a code sets... the computer also stores a snap shot of the data stream before and after the code sets for each code...   so the mechanic can see what the car was doing when the code set... makes it so much easier to diagnose..

removing the battery cable usually does not reset the codes on 1996 and newer cars...    all it does is erase the radio memory codes...  

Posted: 03/04/09
04:54 PM

Well, I had the codes checked today. The trouble code came up P0406.

"The PCM has determined that the voltage signal from exhaust gas recirculation sensor 'A' is too high for the current engine operating conditions."

Definition:
EGR system fault (Exhaust Gas Recirculation).
Explanation:
The ECM has detected the EGR position sensor voltage was too high.

Probable Causes:
1. Failed EGR position Sensor.
2. Open or Short circuit condition.
3. Failed EGR valve.
4. Failed EGR pressure sensor where applicable.
5. Failed EGR position sensor where applicable.

So now I am planning on how to isolate the above problems. I do have a Repair manual, but have not located all the above items mentioned that could be wrong. I am familiar with where the EGR Valve is located. I am not certain about the Position sensor or pressure sensor location.

The EGR valve costs $79.95. I would really hate to replace it if it were not the problem. Although I am curious if any of the above mentioned sensors might be a part of the valve? Any ideas on that would be helpful!

Any pointers on isolating my problem list would be appreciated.  Grin  

05:06 PM

I just had one other question: I was checking out some of the OBDII Code Readers - it stated on their descriptions that they could turn off the Malfunction Indicator light. Is that true? I was thinking they only told you the codes as to what could be wrong. Confused  

waynep712 waynep712
10:59 PM

almost all of the code readers will clear codes... and turn off the light... but when the codes are gone.. so is the snap shot of data when the code set...

write down the codes.. clear the codes... see if it resets...  DO not do this if you are about to go in for a smog test... it takes a week or so of driving to build up enough data to pass smog..

there are trouble shooting charts for every code.. some of them are pages long...       most require a full scan tool that reads live data not just codes to work with...    and a digital volt meter to verify voltages ...  

Posted: 03/05/09
08:19 AM

Icon Quotewaynep712:
almost all of the code readers will clear codes... and turn off the light... but when the codes are gone.. so is the snap shot of data when the code set...

write down the codes.. clear the codes... see if it resets...  DO not do this if you are about to go in for a smog test... it takes a week or so of driving to build up enough data to pass smog..

there are trouble shooting charts for every code.. some of them are pages long...       most require a full scan tool that reads live data not just codes to work with...    and a digital volt meter to verify voltages ...

Is there a place that I can access trouble shooting charts for codes?

A smog test is not required where I live it (and I am very thankful!)
Grin  

waynep712 waynep712
10:13 AM

yes... there is some free data at autozone.com  they don't have the 2005 up but they did have the 2002... which is similar
i just double checked... they did have some for the 2005..  but i dont know which motor you have... there are several motors available for that van....

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm

other places that have it on line.. for a subscription    usually under 30 bucks for a year... sometimes less...

eautorepair.net    is actually mitchell on demand that most mechanics have in their shop..

alldatadiy.com  is the other brand of professional data....    

both carry mostly the same data... its just organized slightly differently...

if you need a scan tool.. you might check out this one.. i have one and use it all the time.. as it is one that shows live data and graphs some of the sensor output voltages..   costs a little bit more than a single code read at most dealers...   the professional snap on  brand and other professional scan tools can cost over $2500 ... i know that some cost $6500. which is the main reason they charge for each use...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98614

best of luck....  

05:00 PM

Thanks so much for your help! I am going to check out the links you have given!  Grin  

nkbess67 nkbess67
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/11/09
07:33 PM

I have a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country and just had the same situation.

What were you able to find out?  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com