Xml
Item Posts   

98 TOYOTA 4RUNNER CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND RUNNING ROUGH AFTER CLEANING

| 
newyota newyota
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 03/19/09
09:50 PM

98 4RUNNER CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AND ENGINE RUNNING VERY ROUGH AFTER SPRAYING A DEGREASER ON THE ENGINE AND LETTING IT SIT ON A WARM ENGINE NOT IDLING, AND WASHING OFF WITH A WATER HOSE. DID I GET SOMETHING WET.  

rickyfixit rickyfixit
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/10/09
07:16 PM

this same thing might have happen to me?????   Any answers?????  

waynep712 waynep712
Enthusiast | Posts: 652 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 07/11/09
08:35 AM

with a scan tool...   you can tell which circuits are affected...

i have on other cars found that water can get into connectors ... from the back side... where the boots are to protect the connector from splash...   so the connector body fills with water...  when the power it turned on.. the proper voltage signal to the ecm or to the driven unit is changed...   ..

this does not say what has water .. but the check engine light will point you in the right direction...  

usedriceburner usedriceburner
Posted: 08/01/09
06:21 AM

So how do you use a engine degreaser if you cant rinse it off. Some cars do this and its really a flaw in design. I was just about to de grease my 1998 4runner plus I need to wash of some transmission fluid. http://www.used-4runner.com  Mike  

waynep712 waynep712
Enthusiast | Posts: 652 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 08/01/09
06:36 AM

sorry.. i forgot to finish...

washing a warm motor.. then,    starting the motor as soon as you finished washing it.....  getting it nice and hot to boil the wash water off... taking it out for a drive... or blowing it off with compressed air .. a leaf blower.... will also work if you have one...

i run into more problems when people wash the motor and let it sit overnight  or even for a few hours... without running it to dry it...

they try to make the connectors splash proof...  water proof... as much as they can...   getting the water off by running the motor is the best thing....

i like a clean motor... they seem to last longer clean..  

rickyfixit rickyfixit
Posted: 08/22/09
09:46 AM

FYI,
 After washing the motor, some water got into the spark plug area, causing it not
to fire. After two days it cleared up. Motor running fine. I guess I could have taken
it apart and cleaned it.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Toyota 4Runner
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
SUV
Rating:
Above Average Above Average

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com