Xml
Item Posts   

Engine won't start after driving

| 
donkj donkj
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/18/09
08:29 AM

I have a 1995 Chevy Astro Van AWD, 4.3L engine. I'm experiencing no engine restart after use. After doing some driving and van sits shut off for 1 /2 hour or so, while trying to start the engine turns over, but won't start. After several attempts of cycling the ignition, van does start. Could take up to 10-15 attempts. I've had the battery, strainer, fuel filter and 2 fuel pumps replaced and problem still exists. This has been going on for over 1 1/2 months now and mechanics can't seem to find the exact problem. Help is needed.
Thanks, Don  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Guru | Posts: 953 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 01/18/09
11:56 AM

Sounds like a fuel pressure regulator leaking raw fuel into the intake through the vacuum hose.  

waynep712 waynep712
Enthusiast | Posts: 652 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 01/19/09
12:42 AM

here is a link to what the fuel pressure regulator looks like

http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images//0900c152/80/0a/80/89//medium/0900c152800a8089.gif

they do go bad...    dorman products has replacements available through most parts store. .

there is more info here, look under fuel system

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/11/b2/02/0900823d8011b202.jsp  

wendyann wendyann
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/19/09
10:51 PM

Been having similar problem for a week now. I have a 2000 nissan maxima, had for almost a year. Starts fine but when I drive it for awhile then shut it off, I have to wait an hour or so before it will start again. Doesnt turn over or anything. Oh and it didnt start happening till I jumped started another car.  Confused  

nooobuuu nooobuuu
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/01/09
01:17 AM

I'm having the same problem with my Toyota Cresta. I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs and ECU. Still happens I pulled one of the spark plugs out still attached to the coil packs and started it. So I know I'm getting good spark but dont know why it wont kick over. I tried spraying some Carb. Cleaner in the intake while cranking it but nothing happened. First time in the day i drive it runs great, but after turning it off it doesnt start for like an hour. Not really sure where to go from here but I think it's in the fuel system.  

buyadvice buyadvice
New User | Posts: 35 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 04/16/09
11:46 AM

Please check the radiator coolant of your vehicle.  

SPSilvestri SPSilvestri
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 10/29/10
07:58 AM

Just bought an 97' BMW 540i in New York and drove it back to Ohio.... when i bought it it started fine... i parked it and came back a few hours later with no problems...  the next morning it also fired up fine, and i drove back to ohio... half way through the trip i stopped to go to the restroom and when i came back to the car it didnt want to start.  took about 5 tries.... when i got back home the car didnt want to re-start at all... once it's running it runs fine, and after sitting for 20-45-min it seems fine, it's just the restart shortly after you shut it off that seems to be the problem... PLEASE HELP!

if you have any info on how to fix this PLEASE email me at SPSilvestr@gmail.com  

SPSilvestri SPSilvestri
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 10/29/10
07:58 AM

Just bought an 97' BMW 540i in New York and drove it back to Ohio.... when i bought it it started fine... i parked it and came back a few hours later with no problems...  the next morning it also fired up fine, and i drove back to ohio... half way through the trip i stopped to go to the restroom and when i came back to the car it didnt want to start.  took about 5 tries.... when i got back home the car didnt want to re-start at all... once it's running it runs fine, and after sitting for 20-45-min it seems fine, it's just the restart shortly after you shut it off that seems to be the problem... PLEASE HELP!

if you have any info on how to fix this PLEASE email me at SPSilvestr@gmail.com  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 10/30/10
06:10 PM

this is going to require a scan tool to check for codes..

and somebody who knows bmw electronics..

does it crank or even make noise when it fails to start...

dirty battery cables...     weak battery...  bad starter... bad ignition switch...  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Posted: 10/30/10
06:10 PM

this is going to require a scan tool to check for codes..

and somebody who knows bmw electronics..

does it crank or even make noise when it fails to start...

dirty battery cables...     weak battery...  bad starter... bad ignition switch...  

Thirt Thirt
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/11
Posted: 08/02/11
08:42 AM

I am having the same problem I have a 1989 Jeep Wrangler 4cyl 2.5L, I'll drive even for 15min stop cut the engine off be back in 5min to crank it back up and it wont fire up, it has to sit for about 1-2 hours and then it will fire up fine.
if anyone has found the solution to this problem can you please email me at xxjolly_greenxx@yahoo.com  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Posted: 08/02/11
09:57 AM

Icon QuoteThirt:
I am having the same problem I have a 1989 Jeep Wrangler 4cyl 2.5L, I'll drive even for 15min stop cut the engine off be back in 5min to crank it back up and it wont fire up, it has to sit for about 1-2 hours and then it will fire up fine.
if anyone has found the solution to this problem can you please email me at xxjolly_greenxx@yahoo.com

thirt....  

i would probably say the starter may be going back..

you jeep uses a conventional mopar starter relay on the firewall..... when it fails to start with the key.. you might want to carefully short the big threaded stud to the center terminal on this device.. while the car is ready to crank...  so it won't move when the engine spins....

when you turn the key...  you send power through the neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission.. and then up to one of the push on terminals of the relay above....

the large threaded stud is connected to the positive side of the battery ..  the center terminal goes the starter solenoid contact... to activate the starter...

when the starter is bad.. jumping the starter relay won't do any good...

if it does start from there.. then you might have a different problem ...

starting with proper cleaning and wire brushing the battery terminals.. getting them clean...  using hot water to wash away an crud..

using the wire brush to clean the other ends of the cables where they attach to the engine block..   where the ground cable attaches to the body...  

pilaar pilaar
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 10/01/11
12:10 PM

hi i have a 91 pontiac bonneville that wont start back up after its been driven i have to wait 20-45 mins before it starts again..ive had a tune up and new fuel filter put in... fuel pump seems to be working fine... im not sure what the problem is any suggestions send me a message to pilaarthomas@ymail.com pls.... thank you...  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Posted: 10/01/11
12:43 PM

91 bonneville with a 3.8 motor..

because this engine is fully computerized...   you are going to need an OBD1 scan tool to really get to the bottom of what's going on...  

there are a few things you can test with conventional volt meters.. and inexpensive automotive tools...

first is you have to have at least a digital volt meter...  using a test light is not going to really work other than checking fuses.. you can damage the ECM... if you probe the WRONG wire with a test light..   the power transistors in the ECM that drive various relays tend to be rated at 1 amp...  

digital volt meters can be had for 5 bucks and you really don't need to spend more than about 25 bucks on one..

listen to the fuel pump.. when it fails to start...   can you hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when you turn the key to the ON position...?????   yes or no...

if you have a fuel injection fuel pressure tester.. you would want to monitor fuel pressure.. should be about 38 PSI..

with a timing light..  clamp around one of the spark plug wires....    while cranking the engine.. is the timing light flashing???

do not pull a spark plug wire to check for spark.. you CAN damage the very expensive ignition module..  the module really does not like 80,000 volts looking for ground through the 12 volt or the 5 volt circuitry..

some parts stores have items in the loan a tool section called injector test lights.. or NOID lights..  you can unplug ONE injector... plug this special light into the end of the harness and crank the engine.. if the light is flashing.. the computer is trying to fire the injectors...

you also will need to jump the A and B terminals on the aldl connector under the dash.. to see if the check engine light flashes morse code like flashes .. a code 12 is expected...   shows the computer is awake...   any other codes.. please post..

with the scan tool..   when the engine fails to start... you can plug it in .. check for codes.. and also look at the live data stream...

see if the individual components are actually working...

you might want to tap on the MAF sensor in the air ducting... while cranking.. sometimes they fail...  tapping on them can sometimes make them work...  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com