Item Posts   

Nissan Rogue or Subaru Outback?

| 
Tailer Tailer
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/16/08
03:08 PM

Hello,
I am at a crossroads, and can't decide which car to buy!  I need an AWD or 4WD car to go skiing in the Rockies but that handles like a car for the rest of the year.  I have also looked at the RAV4, CR-V, A3, Outlander, and Tuscon, but my favorite so far is the Outback and Rogue.  I am looking at the fully loaded AWD versions with all the bells and whistles.  Let me go through my thoughts:

Outback: A very standard car, everyone has them and so it is a safer bet especially for resale (5-8 years down the line).  A little longer than the Rogue (read: fits skis better inside) and has I feel has nicer leather.  It also runs about $2000 cheaper than the Rogue with all the dealer incentives when comparing the '09s.  I felt it was a little slow and not that peppy when driving, but handled great on snow and ice in a parking lot.  

Rogue: A little flashier, looks bigger yet is actually smaller than the Outback.  I felt it drove better on pavement than Outback, but have yet to try on snow (will do this tomorrow).  I like black leather, but the red seams are not that attractive.  Features that I like: bluetooth phone, included XM radio, MP3 harddrive, front passenger seat fold down.  Slightly better fuel efficiency (only by 5% or so). Will probably need to get 2008 version to cut down on the cost.  VERY quiet engine, and I think a bit less road noise than Outback.  Moonroof is smaller on Rogue.  

Overall, I am slightly leaning toward the Rogue, but the price and the fact that it is a newer model is holding me back to the Outback.  If the model discontinues, then the value is greatly reduced.  Reliability, they are both about equal.  These cars seem different, but are actually quite similar IMO.  Please give suggestions on how to decide or what your thoughts are.  Or any other models I should try?  Thanks for your help in advance!  

Klexis Klexis
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/18/08
11:54 PM

definitely Nissan. They have improved their designs over the years. I heard that they are also leading in Russia. It's just that it's a bit pricey.  

I'm a sucker for H.I.D. Lights

buyadvice buyadvice
New User | Posts: 35 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 12/30/08
07:34 AM

Nissan is obviously the best as it has a good historical reliability and good gas mileage. Don't worry go for it.  

Andro27 Andro27
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 02/18/10
12:52 AM

Don't know if i am replying too late for this thread but...  I myself in in the market for such a vehicle.  I have looked at and driven many similar vehicles (Subaru Outback 3.6R, Nissan Xterra, Honda Pilot, Honda Ridgline, Nissan Rogue, Volvo wagon, VW passat wagon, Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, Jeep Liberty...) you get the picture.  I narrowed it down to 2 vehicles myself, Outback and Xterra.

I currently drive a Pontiac Firebird (Love the Car to death) but i need something more practicle.  Snow trips, rock climbing (trails), Pismo beach sand driving, Scuba diving in Monterey, and other fun outdoor activities.  I also own a Yamaha Wave Runner so i need something that will tow it.  I am looking for a vehicle i can drive as a daily driver but also something that will keep up with my active lifestyle.

Nissan X-terra:  
Good:  Uber Rugged Vehicle! Good ground clearance. Trunk space area is all plastic  so it is super easy to clean and won't get dirty (huge plus), huge V-6 so there is much power (261 HP) and torque (towes up to 5,000 lbs), Sturdy Roof rack system for my kayak and other toys. 9" ground clearance, Vehicle looks amazing
Bad:  Poor Fuel Economy (15-19 mpg), drive is rough on pavement, drives like a truck because it is built on a truck frame (personal driving preference to the individual), feels top heavy in turns.

Outback 3.6R:
Good:  Drives like a dream, will handle any road surface, Symmertrical All Wheel Drive All the time, Great Power to Weight Ratio (256 HP), Plenty of room in the back, Great for a daily driver, Fuel economy great for road trips (19-25 mpg), 8.7" of ground clearance Factory,  tow 3500 lbs.,  94% of Subaru's purchased in the last 10 years are still on the road today! reliability!!!
Bad:  Vehicle looks like a grocery getter grandma car, 2010 roof rack system is better in theory than in practice, color options rather limited for matching outside to inside (preset color combos from factory), fully loaded about $1500 - 2000 more than fully loaded X-terra.  

Tailer Tailer
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 07/25/10
08:01 PM

I guess I should follow up my own question with my decision and results.  I chose the 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD with every option for $25,500 and 16 miles on it (January 2009). It was a great choice, it has handled snow, dirt roads, cold and hot, all with a roof cargo box (for skis and camping gear).  It handles great, has done about 26 mpg in the mountains in winter and 24mpg in the summer heat.  I have seen a ton of them on the road, so earlier concerns of resale value are no longer a problem.  I have had absolutely zero problems with it and it was a great purchase! It is a fantastic car, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a crossover that really drives like a car.  

fanofawesome fanofawesome
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/04/10
10:22 AM

I had the luck of trying both for the week in December and I have to say I wasn't at all impressed with the Nissan Rouge.  The only thing I can say about the rouge is it has good head room and there is a little bit of power when pressing the gas.  But there is no real style, space, or power.  It's a grocery getter rather than a reliable transport to take you to Breckenridge, Aspen, Copper Mountain etc.  And yes, I live in Colorado as well and you and I both know it can get pretty nasty in the snow.

The Subaru outback is popular in the Rockies for a reason.  It does great in snow.  This car will be able to get you back in forth to the mountains and back to your home without any problems and without any stress.  Subaru's AWD drive is legendary and it is a very efficient system.  I was able to go down I-25 at a high speed of 90 MPH in the snow without any pressure.  The Outback and all Subaru's handle like a dream.  And I honestly think Subaru has more power than the Rouge.  And the Rouge's interior is just absolutely terrible!  Nissan was too desperate to give the Rouge's interior a futuristic look.  So hands down- Subaru.  Nissan's AWD is clumsy in the Colorado snow.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Subaru Outback
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Wagon
Rating:
Excellent Excellent

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com