Ad Radar

Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

1998 Chevrolet Suburban - door handles...

| 
davediz davediz
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 01/06
Posted: 01/24/06
12:10 PM

Having problems with the front door handles.. Drivers side (pot metal?) broke, am presently opening the door with a piece of nylon line tied to the wire linkage..  The passenger door cannot be opened from the inside.  Works fine being opened from the outside, or by rolling the window down and opening it..  Has anyone ever heard of this problem?  I can't believe that I have the only Suburban with this problem.  Could the linkage have stretched such that the handle doesn't have enough through to open the door??  What is the fix?? I appreciate any help with the above..  

MI_Jim MI_Jim
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 01/06
Posted: 01/24/06
01:32 PM

I've got the same problem with the drivers door on my '99 Tahoe.  The first symptom was having to pull the inside handle back farther than normal.  Finally it stopped working altogether and I open the door by rolling the window down and using the outside handle.  My ABS problem needs to get fixed first, then this one!

mech22 mech22
User | Posts: 67 | Joined: 01/06
Posted: 01/26/06
05:17 PM

yes this is a common problem.  

davediz davediz
Posted: 02/28/06
08:30 AM

mech22 - - I appreciate the post message, but do you know of the fix..Or anything that I can do to make them work as advertised??? I'm Puzzled!!!  

mike302 mike302
New User | Posts: 35 | Joined: 02/06
10:01 AM

I had the same problem on my 1997 GMC yukon with the drivers side inside door handle. If thats your problem you can get a new one on ebay for something like 9 bucks. I bought it and it fit perfectly. You need to remove the door panel to expose the door handle *** You will need to drill out 1 rivet to remove the old *** You can either use a big screw to hold the new one in place like I did, (I didn't have a rivet gun at the time) or you can use a rivet gun like your supposed to. I have had the screw in place and had no problems with it. The whole job took me about an hour. Its as good as new. When you buy the replacement, make sure its for the correct side of the truck. If you have any questions I will be glad to help.  

mike302 mike302
New User | Posts: 35 | Joined: 02/06
10:13 AM

I forgot to tell you that you have to pry the outer ring of the door handle shroud away from the inner part. They just snap together.  

p_44_12 p_44_12
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 02/06
12:55 PM

alright heres what you do before replaceing the handle check to see if your door sags if it sags its going to happen again(it will break again) to check if it sags open the door from the outside but just open it it about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch if the door seems to drop a little bit  you need door pins and bushings then i would change the handle  

davediz davediz
Posted: 03/01/06
12:41 AM

mike302 - thanks for taking the time, all the advise and help, I really appreciate it..
davediz  

davediz davediz
Posted: 03/01/06
12:44 AM

p 44 12 - - I thank you also for taking the time to answer my post, and I will be sure and check the door pins... Appriciate your help...
davediz  

Hoganchild Hoganchild
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/26/09
04:26 PM

Which rivet do you drill out?  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: