1995 Geo Metro, 1.0 liter, 5 speed: Loss of power

| 
DocMel DocMel
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/06
Posted: 01/23/06
07:53 AM

1995, 1.0, 5 speed:  Loss of power.  

Ill try to give you all the symptoms:

180,000 miles:  Im the original owner, change oil, fluids, tune ups religiuosly.

I broke the timing belt (second tiome).  Changed it out both times, no probs after both.

But about 2 weeks after the new belt, I got what seems to be a loss of power.  Car starts and idles fine.  But when going uphill, there is a serious loss of power.  I can barley make it up any hill.  When I floor the gas pedal, it seems to get worse.  If I let up a little on the gas, power seems to improve slightly when going uphill.  There is no missing, sputtering.  It almost feels as if the gas filter is clogged, but..................

1.  I did a complete tune up:  Plugs, plug wires, rotor and cap, air filter, fuel filter.  I checked for fuel with filter disconnetecd:  Plenty of fuel and pressure before AND after the filter, and at the throttle body.

Car starts and idles great.  Goes down the road ok (but none of the previous "pep" it had)  but again, if I floor it, power drops off.  But if I let up just a little on the gas, power seems to improve, but just a little.  

Going up hills, speed drops big time, but improves a little if I let off the gas just a tad

I hate to trash this thing.  Its been a life saver, but there is no way I can pass safely, and going up any hill, I really hold up traffic

There is NO oil loss or consumption.  Gas mileage has dropped off since this symptom occurred

doratheexplorer doratheexplorer
User | Posts: 235 | Joined: 12/05
Posted: 01/23/06
08:06 AM

Spark timing may be off.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links