Xml
Item Posts   

Toyota Center Console Glove Box Latch

| 
blakechilds blakechilds
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/03/08
07:13 PM

I have a 2005 Tacoma bought in Feb 2005. The center console storage compartment latch broke at 68,000 miles. No problem there if Toyota would sell me a new latch. Looks to be about a $5 -  $10 part and I removed it in about three minutes. Toyota does not sell just the latch - they want you to buy a new center console piece for $295 not including including dealer installation. What a waste. The latch was under-designed. Does anyone know if someone who has had the same experience with the Tacoma? Shame on Toyota!  Frown  Frown  Frown  Frown  

kaulana kaulana
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/24/08
11:04 PM

just replying to your thread...I am currently suffering the same problem as you. It broke today and went to the dealer which i was thinking was no problem and would cost just 5 bucks was actually 335...just wondering if you found a replacement piece?  

j_rossdale j_rossdale
User | Posts: 140 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/25/08
01:25 AM

Take it back to the dealership.
can't charge you more than $50 to fix it.  

kaulana kaulana
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/25/08
02:32 AM

not true...i already tried, he said he would have to sell me the whole center piece and all it is, is a small push button that opens it up.  

j_rossdale j_rossdale
User | Posts: 140 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/26/08
11:19 PM

how much does it cost..try a second opinion from other car shops..  

rdurbin44 rdurbin44
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/01/11
12:32 AM

Same problem with '05 latch.  Two minutes to remove or replace, and only two screws hold the latch itself.  My Toyota parts manager friend says it's a $12 part for models for which you can get it, and he doesn't know if it's a regional (Southeast Toyota) or national corporate issue.  He can only get the whole console and discount it to around $275.  This looks like a goof or oversight at best, and a scam at worst.  My buddy says there are other Toyota assemblies that they must handle the same way. 28 years of Toyotas, and never anything like this!  He pointed me to a salvage dealer.  We should be poking some customer relations buttons.  

rdurbin44 rdurbin44
Posted: 01/03/11
11:34 AM

Toyota Tacoma center console lid latch - UPDATE - 2005 thru ????: Toyota currently sells the latch ONLY with the entire console, $300+! Toyota's Corporate Customer Care, 1-800-331-4331, needs to hear about your "experience"; work thru the menus to a representative, have your VIN # handy, and tell them what you think of this.  They are pleasant enough, and claim that these reports are reviewed for numbers of problems and potential, future solutions.  I think that I can repair my latch, and save the $300.  

dfitz dfitz
Posted: 01/27/11
09:06 AM

Is the latch broken or the spring?  My 2004 4runner latch stopped working.  I took it apart and the spring was broken in half.  Doesn't look like it would be too hard to make a new spring, just a bent strip of metal, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  I figured there had to be someplace to buy one for a few $$.  

dfitz dfitz
Posted: 01/27/11
09:14 AM

I just called my local Toyota dealer in CO and they have the the latch assembly for $10.  

uofacats99 uofacats99
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/09/11
11:22 AM

What is the number for that dealership.  I need that part also.  Thanks.  

JoshDougie JoshDougie
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/09/11
12:09 PM

Have you guys checked eBay for that piece? I've saved a ton of money by just buying the whole piece WAY cheaper ($10 20 bucks) and just take off what you really need.

Just an option.  

Wasyl Bills Wasyl Bills
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/14
Posted: 07/11/14
11:12 AM

Same broken latch at same miles on my corolla.Can't find the part anywhere. I did see just the latch for the Tacoma on ebay  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Toyota Tacoma
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Truck
Rating:
Excellent Excellent

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com