Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

Can a worn CV joint cause transmission slip?

| 
houston-keith houston-keith
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/15/08
11:21 AM

Hi Forum, How are you? You look good.

I have a 94 Dodge Intrepid and I'm having some problems during shifts. Hard shifts, and clunks during re-acceleration after a stop and now it sometimes loses gear shifting to second and sometimes third. Right after starting it is really bad and gets better after it's warmed up and it is worst on right turns.

I've read that the hard shifts can be due to a bad CV-joint, but can a worn CV joint cause it to fall out of gear completely once it is in gear, or between shifts? I also have some vibrations at 60 mph and above which I've also read can be the CV joint.

This seems to be a big difference because a CV joint repair is manageable but if I need a new transmission I might be better off pushing the car into the bayou. I took it to Pepboys to ask them and they said that the CV joint won't cause it to slip gears and it was likely the transmission, which they don't fix so they couldn't help me.

Miscellaneous info : I checked the fluid level and it is fine and the fluid doesn't smell bad at all and looks clear red and clean. The car has 96K miles.

Hope somebody can help me.
Keith.  

gba281 gba281
New User | Posts: 47 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/15/08
06:14 PM

Hate to say it but you can believe Pepboys.Do yourself a favor and push it in the bayou.  

terand_1 terand_1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 07/18/11
05:11 PM

About 6 months ago I had my breaks replaced at Sears, the mechanic mentioned my CV joint was going bad. I just started experiencing the same problem...a clunk when I change the auto-transmission to drive or reverse, then clunks when going through the gears. Also, the "traction off" light appeard...leading me to believe the problem is in the wheels or an electrical issue.

Is this a tranny issue or CV joing issue??? No one seems to know. Thanks!  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
05:47 PM

its going to take a professional model scan tool... depending on what year and which scan tool...   as you are going to need to get traction control and ABS codes...

it will take a SNAP on .. or a OTC scan tool if you don't have access to a factory chrysler.

scan for codes..

the traction control uses the antilock wheel sensors for speed sensing..   if the reluctor (tone) rings are damaged or rusted off.. you will have a problem...   if the wheel speed sensor ends are covered with metal shavings from worn out brakes... it will not give a proper speed indication...   (they have a pair if strong magnets at the end with  a coil of wire wrapped around them...  to generate variable voltage signals for the antilock and the traction controls to use to calculate what to ***

no signal... or truly incorrect signal... it will go into default and quit working and turn on the light...  and set codes...

its complicated... i will as every other mechanic .. need to know.. exact model year.. brand and model .  engine type... transmission type...  
you can get most of that info from the first page of carfax  com   punch in your 17 digit vin number and it will provide you with exact year make and model of your car... 1990 and newer...  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
05:48 PM

oh... the reluctor.. tone rings are on the CV axles... usually...  

440t4 440t4
Guru | Posts: 1009 | Joined: 04/09
10:45 PM

You need to scan for the hard shifts but the losing gear around turns sure sounds like low fluid.Are you sure your getting an accurate fluid level reading? When the fluid level is low and you go around a turn the fluid rushes to one side and the pump momentarily sucks air. Also low fluid would tend to be worse when cold because when the fluid heats up it expands so its not as low when warm.  

440t4 440t4
Guru | Posts: 1009 | Joined: 04/09
10:50 PM

Oops i answered the first guy not realizing his question was 3 years old. Wayne has you pretty much covered.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com