Xml
Item Posts   

motor oil in automatic??

| 
a2000m5 a2000m5
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 01/06
Posted: 01/21/06
05:40 PM

I was adding fluid to my transmission after draining the pan and accidentally grabbed a bottle of 5-40W motor oil which was in the same brand/color bottle and mixed in w/ my box of Dextron.

I started to pour and as soon as I did I noticed the oil was not red. I'm guessing anywhere from 1 tablespoon to maybe 1/4 cup of oil went into the tranny. My vehicle is a 98 Range Rover w/ 80k miles on it and the tranny holds nearly 12 qts of fluid.

Should I worry about this? Should I get the tranny flushed? I'm fairly confident the amount of motor oil that made it into the tranny was closer to a tablespoon than 1/4 cup.

I know a rebuilt tranny costs about $4,000 so spending the money on a flush seems like cheap insurance. A couple of friends told me not to worry about it as it was such a small amount of oil and even a flush may not get 100% of the motor oil out of the system.  

buddymyra buddymyra
New User | Posts: 32 | Joined: 12/05
05:47 PM

Don't worry about it. It's not recommended but it will operate on motor oil alone.  

a2000m5 a2000m5
08:48 PM

really? You could run regular motor oil in the transmission, say, in an emergency situation? I didn't know that.

Thanks.  

Rapid Robert Rapid Robert
Enthusiast | Posts: 328 | Joined: 01/06
Posted: 01/22/06
08:53 AM

If the amount you added is that small, not a problem. Oil should never bee used for just one reason alone in an automatic transmission, FLASH POINT! The high heat range in an automatic can set motor oil on fire!  

loadholt loadholt
New User | Posts: 18 | Joined: 04/06
Posted: 01/23/06
03:58 AM

Naahhhh, won't hurt a thing. Hook 'er up and let 'er dig!
I had an old Nash Rambler station wagon (1968?) with a massive V8 and I ran recycled 30W engine oil .50 cents a quart in the auto tranny for a long time. HA! Ran it from Cocoa Beach to Daytona and back and literally had a ball.

loadholt loadholt
New User | Posts: 18 | Joined: 04/06
04:03 AM

"really? You could run regular motor oil in the transmission, say, in an emergency situation? I didn't know that."   Can't say todays modern auto trannys would tolerate engine oil very well and Robert said it would catch fire, so I wouldn't do it under any circumstances.  Auto tranny fluid has an entirely different viscosity index, (thickness), than engine oil so no way I'd put engine oil in an auto tranny today.

buddymyra buddymyra
New User | Posts: 32 | Joined: 12/05
06:06 AM

a200m5

Motor oil flash point is around 400 degrees minimun. I hope your transmission isn't rurring that hot. The bottom line is you haven't hurt it. And by the way like I said, it will operate on motor oil, but it's not recommended.  

a2000m5 a2000m5
11:34 AM

Thanks for the input. I'll run it until it's time for a new filter/flush.  

01:58 PM

It's real simple, If motor oil is Ok for an automatic trasmissions, then why do we use, and why do they make automatic transmission fluid? Better yet why don't we just use trasmission fluid in the engine instead of oil, since you guys think they are OK subsitutes? Or have you considered why the vehicle maker should just put in motor oil in their automatic trasmissions, since it is cheaper? Gee, I never read on either cans of these lubricanbts that they could be interchanged, even in an emergency!

There is a whole lot of chemistry in both these lubricants because of differences on what they are supposed to lubricate and cool and not to mention other things such as motor oil will "shellac" and clog up all those really small passages in the transmission when you keep taking the temperature to the "flash point" a hundred times a day!

Yes, it will make it work, but not for long!.

a2000m5 a2000m5
Posted: 01/25/06
09:51 AM

So, Rapid Robert, do you think I should worry about the small amount of oil that got into my transmission? Should I play it safe and have it flushed?  

11:54 AM

Not to worry mate, with that little, just run it!  

gearbox gearbox
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/06
07:55 PM

engine oil will not harm a automatic in anyway, many people still add it for additional lube, adding  4 quarts or more of synthetic engine oil like amsoil or mobil 1 is suggested by companys like transgo....(transgo has registered trademark on the term shift kit...not exactly a new kid on the block. I have used it in many applications.  

a2000m5 a2000m5
Posted: 01/30/06
08:26 PM

Gearbox,you're saying some good synth oil is good for the AT?

I've been using Amzoil products for 10 years. Everything they make is great IMHO. Not cheap even if you're a dealer but the best there is.

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com