Xml
Item Posts   

How American is enough?

| 
GenderBender GenderBender
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 02/05
Posted: 02/10/05
12:19 PM

The whole import-domestic classification has been an issue since the 80s or so (when every foreigner set up a plant here), but what seems to be the most threatening trend seems to be flying under everyone's radar: no one in this country is ENGINEERING cars anymore.  Who cares where a car's built; isn't being behind the design where pride comes from?

- Right now, the pimpin ride that everyone and his dog wants is the Chrysler 300.  A Mercedes built by Canadians.

- Pontiac revived the muscle car in the GTO.  Uh-huh, using a German platform built by Australians.  They didn't even bother to take out the Blaupunkt stereo.  The only American job you support is paying the guys who stuck on the Pontiac grille.

- New Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego...  both Volvo S60s.

- New Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan/Lincoln Zephyr...  all Mazda 6s.

- Next wave of Dodge and Chrysler sedans, all Mitsubishis.  Except for the ones that are already Mercedes.

Why is no one mad?  Does no one know?  It seems like the Mustang, Corvette, and Viper are all we have left.

blitwack blitwack
User | Posts: 102 | Joined: 01/05
12:29 PM

Globalization and interdependency, it's one huge car market now and the lines between nation specific engineering are blurring a lot. Most BMW's are assembled in South Africa, I doubt your average Bimmer driver cares that his car isn't German built. Also, American icons aren't around anymore, with the exception of mustang, corvette, and viper. I think we're all gradually adopting an "I don't care who built it, I want it to work" mentality.

krichards krichards
New User | Posts: 23 | Joined: 01/05
12:40 PM

The automotive industry is becoming a true world economy. The days of American made - vs - others are gone.

Car companies more and more are getting the specific job done in the place that best fits there business. The Volvo S60 you mention destined for the Ford 500 was designed in the Volvo Monitoring and Concept Center based right here in Souther California.

If the argument is for US employees to be involved in the process of american cars you will find several of the top designers in the automotive industry are US graduates from Art Center college of design in Pasadena, CA. Although I wont talk about the ethnic diversity or lack there of.  The truth is if you want to work in the automotive industry there is just as much opportunity for US individuals than European or Asian, possibly more.

The fact is the high cost of labor and ongoing union labor disputes have made it difficult to operate plants in the United States. Should we punish a company for making sound business decisions?

Dont be a player hater.  - - - - Most BMWs are still made in Germany BTW - only the X5 and Z4 and some 3-series are produced else where.

Datsunami Datsunami
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/05
12:55 PM

Also in recent times:

- Ford Focus = designed in Europe.
- Lincoln LS = Jaguar S-Type.
- Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner = Mazda Tribute.
- Pontiac Vibe = Toyota Matrix.
- Chevy Aveo = Daewoo Lanos.
- Saturn VUE using Honda engine.
- Chevy Malibu, Pontiac G6, both Opels.
- Chrysler Crossfire = Mercedes SLK.  The kicked-around, leftover one.

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Chrysler 300
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
Above Average Above Average

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com