Xml
Item Posts   

Oil change: When Hot or Cold?

| 
usedcam30 usedcam30
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 12/05
Posted: 01/19/06
05:13 PM

I just change my oil last weekend.  My next door neighbor is an ex-auto mechanics.  He recommended that I change my oil when the engine is left overnight cold.  The idea is all the oil is already at the bottom of the pan.  I thought that was a really good idea.  If you change it by warming it up, you will not be able to get as much oil out as when it has been sitting overnight.  What's your opinion on this?

BTW, I was able to drain out more oil than what is recommended from my Owner's Manual.

Thanks,
Derrick

tommy m tommy m
Enthusiast | Posts: 327 | Joined: 12/05
07:45 PM

usedcam30 wrote:

I just change my oil last weekend. My next door neighbor is an ex-auto mechanics. He recommended that I change my oil when the engine is left overnight cold. The idea is all the oil is already at the bottom of the pan. I thought that was a really good idea. If you change it by warming it up, you will not be able to get as much oil out as when it has been sitting overnight. What's your opinion on this?

BTW, I was able to drain out more oil than what is recommended from my Owner's Manual.

Thanks,
Derrick

no  man   change it when its hot caz the dirt is in the oil   but  cold the dirt is in the bottom of the pan and sticks there/ if u dont beleave me  then all that help u in this site will tell u // if u take 2 glasses of water and put in a spoon of sugar  and  put  one in the fridge and let it set  and the other is hot and stur it up  and poor both out at the same time  then u will see the cold one will have all the sug/ at the bottom like ur motor will have  

Rapid Robert Rapid Robert
Enthusiast | Posts: 328 | Joined: 01/06
11:10 PM

First off, if you drained out more oil than what is supposed to be in it including the oil filter then it was overfilled. Over filling is very bad thing to do, crankshaft will agitate oil causing air to be whipped in to oil which will cause less than adequite lubrication through out the engine. Never run engine below the add mark or over the full mark on the dip stick

Yes you can change oil on a cold engine. By cold meaning cool enough to touch the engine. Rememeber that the purpose of the oil filter is to trap dirt, not the oil pan. Oil pan serves only as a collection place for the oil to be pumped through the engine, it is not a dirt trap. If you have a lot of "silt" type dirt in the pan you are not changing the oil often enough and if its a high mileage engine you will have actually have extremly fine metal silt in it also. Thats why a magnetic drain plug in the oil pan is a good idea. Never change oil with out changing the filter, never! Asuming that you change your oil (non- synthetic) within 4 months or 4,000 miles which ever comes first, you should never have an oil related problem with your engine.Best non-synthetic oil is Penn.base oil such as Quaker state, Pennzoil, Wolfs Head, Amalie, Kendal and other marked as Pa. base crude oil. They have the highest level of parrafin base content which is an excellant lubricant.

Warm engine will cause the oil to flow slighty better out of pan but you trade off the extra time you will needed to get the oil that is on top of the engine to drain down to the pan and out of the engine.

Either way is OK because the little bit that stays behind , about 1/4 to 1/3 quart is not enough to be concerned with if you change oil and filter at the intervals listed abouve.  

usedcam30 usedcam30
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 12/05
Posted: 01/21/06
06:43 PM

Robert and Tommy,  thanks for your advise!  It made sense at the time... My other reason that I did not mention was... for the Multi-viscocity oil such as 5W-20, when the engine is cold the viscosity of this oil is at "5" and when hot, it would be at "20."  I figure oil would drain down easier when it is at the lesser dense.

Robert, what is "magnetic drain plug" ?  Are you talking about the Nut that you loosen to drain the oil out?  I did not know they made such a thing.

Thanks,
Derrick

tommy m tommy m
Enthusiast | Posts: 327 | Joined: 12/05
Posted: 01/22/06
10:00 AM

usedcam30 wrote:
Robert and Tommy, thanks for your advise! It made sense at the time... My other reason that I did not mention was... for the Multi-viscocity oil such as 5W-20, when the engine is cold the viscosity of this oil is at "5" and when hot, it would be at "20." I figure oil would drain down easier when it is at the lesser dense.

Robert, what is "magnetic drain plug" ? Are you talking about the Nut that you loosen to drain the oil out? I did not know they made such a thing.

Thanks,
Derrick
THEY SALE A BAND THATS MAGNETIC /TOO  IT GOES AROUND THE FILTER  

Rapid Robert Rapid Robert
Enthusiast | Posts: 328 | Joined: 01/06
Posted: 01/22/06
07:59 PM

usedcam30 wrote:
Robert and Tommy, thanks for your advise! It made sense at the time... My other reason that I did not mention was... for the Multi-viscocity oil such as 5W-20, when the engine is cold the viscosity of this oil is at "5" and when hot, it would be at "20." I figure oil would drain down easier when it is at the lesser dense.

Robert, what is "magnetic drain plug" ? Are you talking about the Nut that you loosen to drain the oil out? I did not know they made such a thing.

Thanks,
Derrick

Next time you change the oil and you have the drain plug out, get a buddy to run you over to one of the better auto parts stores in town with it.This way you don't have to try measure what you got to get a new one, have the store match it up for you. There are many sizes of magnetic drain plugs, they fit transmissions both standard and automatic's as well as oil pans.  

loadholt loadholt
New User | Posts: 18 | Joined: 04/06
Posted: 01/23/06
03:12 AM

I do my changes on Friday afternoon when I get home I let it sit a half hour and cool off some then put the drain pan under the plug, remove the plug and let it drain all night. Saturday morning I change the filter, replace the drain plug, fill it with oil and I always run mine a half quart low. Why? Overfilling is one of the worst things you can do as the oil gets whipped to a milkshake full of air and air doesn't have good lubricating qualities.

WalMart sells synthetic blend oil five quarts for $7.00 and full syn $12.88 five quarts and their SuperTech filters made by Champion labs are good and very economical. WalMart oils made by Warren oil Co and the full syn oil half the price of Mobil1 and meets the same API specs.

xtremesynthetic xtremesynthetic
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 02/06
Posted: 02/03/06
11:57 PM

usedcam30-
If you are worried about getting all the oil out of the engine, just in some oil flush.  That will losen up anything that is sticking to the internal working parts of your engine.  I recomend it when people are switching from petrolium to synthetic.  That way they start out fresh.  So the same principles apply for you as well.
-Xtremesynthetic  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com