Xml
Item Posts   

different tire sizes??

| 
beachgirl beachgirl
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/06
Posted: 01/18/06
03:07 PM

help   I have a volvo s70.  I had 2 tires flattened (both on the drivers side)  I took the car for new tires.  The shop put the 1 front good tire on the back...so the back would have the same tires (which are new)  This is because i couldnt get the same brand to replace the flats.  Anyway, I checked the numbers from the 2 front new tires (the replacements) Here are the sizes

passenger side    P195/60R15  87H
drivers side         P205/60R15  90H

Doesnt this mean that the driver side tire is wider than the passenger?  I really dont know that much about tires, but if it is wider can it still be okay for the wheel?  Also, the steering wheel is now off center.  I will be taking the car to have the alignment checked.  Should I be concerned about the different tire size?

thanks,
beachgirl

Johnswiftm Johnswiftm
Enthusiast | Posts: 658 | Joined: 07/05
Posted: 01/18/06
06:57 PM

The drivers side is alittle taller and wider. They goofed up and need to fix this problem as it could cause an unsafe condition.  

Rapid Robert Rapid Robert
Enthusiast | Posts: 328 | Joined: 01/06
Posted: 01/22/06
08:11 PM

You always want to have the exact same size tires at all four cornors unless the car is supposed to have a different size on the fronts than the backs. You will notice though, that even with different sizes, they are the same exact thread pattern and model of tire on these cars. You can mix slighty different thread patterns as long as they are on the same axle. Mixing different sisez and thread patterns is a no-no. The best way of approaching tires on a car that I have found is, buy 4 at a time, rotate every 2nd oil cahange (about 8,000 miles)  and you will maximise tire mileage. Allinement and tire pressure are the other factors you should pay attention to.

The dealer should have told you these things because what you now have is wrong.  

loadholt loadholt
New User | Posts: 18 | Joined: 04/06
Posted: 01/23/06
03:29 AM

The 205 means the tire is 205 millimeters wide so it's 10 mm wider than the 195 mm and 10mm = .39 inches which is almost negligible until you do hard braking and naturally the wider tire would have more stopping power, so keep them on the rear.  The 87H and 90H have to do with  the "load index" or maximum load and sustained MPH driving speeds. The 60 is the aspect ratio meaning they are the same height so the speedometer won't be off. In my opinion, I wouldn't worry about it, just keep the wider tires on the back.
http://www.fountaintire.com/tires/faqs/#2

Johnswiftm Johnswiftm
Enthusiast | Posts: 658 | Joined: 07/05
Posted: 01/23/06
04:58 PM

OD the 60 is the aspect ratio in compared to the width. It 60 percent of the width. If you have a 195 then it is 117 mm tall...together 234 total. A 205 is 123 mm tall or total of 246. So one side is taller then the other throwing the steering wheel off.  

5569 5569
Administrator | Posts: 139 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 06/23/06
02:49 AM

Throwing a lot of things off....

It's a simple problem, BUT make em fix it because it's not right and it's not ok and "good enough" simply isn't.  

automotivejtm-#001 automotivejtm-#001
Guru | Posts: 1019 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 06/23/06
09:19 AM

thank you Johnswiftem, I was hopeing somebody was going to correct that aspect ratio detail.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com