1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

Honda Odyssey (PAX) spare tire option

| 
Baja9 Baja9
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/23/08
08:16 PM

After MANY frustrating hours of research I have come up with a combination that fills the VOID of getting a "Space Saver" spare for your Odyssey that came with PAX tires.  Like many others out there, I ran in to brick walls with Honda trying to resolve this problem.  Dealer (NO HELP) Wrecking Yards (SOLD OUT) and on and on and on.  

What I did was oredered a NEW spare wheel from Majestic Honda of Rhode Island (cheaper than most) part#42700-SHJ-A51  Also ordered the spare tire compartment mounting hardware from this site.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ODYSSEY&catcgry2=2005&catcgry3=5DR+EX&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=WHEEL+%28KA%29

Then I did alot of research on what OTHER cars used a space saver spare of similar size to the factory Honda size of 135/80-17.  The closest I found was the 1994 to 2004 Ford Mustang Cobra spare ( 155/70-17)  This tire is only .04 larger in diameter than the original and .79 wider.  It will fit the UNUSED but existing soare tire well in the left rear of the van.  The Used Cobra wheel and tire combo's come at a price though.....Ebay commonly sell for aroun $100 with shipping.

Don't let anyone tell you it will MESS with your computer and or suspension if you go to the stock LX style wheels and tires (with pressure sensors)or have to run with the spare that you put together here.  The HUB and Rotor assembly for ALL the Odyssey's top 3 models are the SAME part number.  The rolling diameter of the Factory spare is 2.5 less than the factory tire (I was suprised by this) bu it works just fine.  I did a complete changeout from PAX to 235/65-16s and all works JUST FINE.

I hope this helps someone else who is or has tried to deal with this problem.  

paxsux4ever paxsux4ever
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/24/08
04:33 AM

Hello, thanks for the information. I am also in the final stages of replacing my PAX on my 2005 Odyssey Touring. My final question is, that I am replacing the PAX with Acura MDX OEM wheels that are the same bolt pattern. My question is what lug nuts did you use since I am realizing that the PAX lugs are not compatable. I need a specific size 19mm or 21mm? What brand/style of lug? Thanks for your feedback. Almost relieved,
JWE  

rscormier rscormier
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/26/08
04:56 AM

I am wondering how much you spent for the MDX Wheels? did you buy new from a dealer?
did you het an answer to your lug nut questions? I have a 2007 Touring with 16,000 miles so I still have some time before I clean out my bank account to buy tires.

thsnks in advance,

Steve  

Paxless Paxless
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 08/02/08
08:22 AM

Got lucky on E-bay - $202 for a set of MDX wheels/tires.

The lug nuts are 14mm x 1.5, acorn style. Just go to any auto parts store.  

bhedden bhedden
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/20/08
05:27 PM

The only thing I like about the pax system is the rims.I was told that the rim is an odd size because it is a european size .Does anyone out there know if this is true, and if it is there might be tires other then pax tires that fit them . this might be a less expensive why to fix the problem.
    Bruce  

j_rossdale j_rossdale
User | Posts: 140 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/25/08
03:32 AM

Pax system is good..Honda Odyssey is good enough to maintain an edge over its competitors  

NoPAX4me NoPAX4me
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/29/08
04:34 PM

Good luck on that one.  Discount Tires told me you have to have a special machine for removing the tires from these wheels.  They told me only the dealers have the machines and you can only get the tires from the dealers.  Who knows maybe they only wanted to sell me new tires and wheels.  I ended up getting new tires and wheels any way because I was not looking to spend $1400 for 4 new PAX tires from Honda.  I almost spent that for the new tires and wheels but next time I need new tires it won't be so painfull.  A plus I found changing to regular tires and wheels was a much quiter and smoother ride than when the PAX tires were on it.  Those things are like driving with solid rubber tires.

Still have to get a spare some how.  It's my wifes van and she reminds me all the time that she doesn't want to get stuck somewhere.  I tell her, "Thats what we have AAA for".  Even if there was a spare on it she wouldn't change the tire any way.
BW  

Harry6 Harry6
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/30/08
09:24 PM

Oh my God!  I've stumbled onto a group of dis-satisfied Honda/PAX users.  I have to tell you that I take great satisfaction in getting big mileage on my tires.  I have 45,000 miles on my Honda Odyssey touring '06.  I did this by driving slowly 55-60 and inflating tires to max wall rating (cold) 44 psig.  I normally would get 80-90K miles out of a set of tires but NOT PAX!

Honda has pissed me off.  I can't get a tech rep to talk to me.  Honda US Customer Service must be reading a card when telling me that "there is no one technically trained to answer my questions at CUSTOMER SERVICE".  I said "well give me the tech reps number or have him call me" They said "there is no one technically trained to answer my questions at CUSTOMER SERVICE".  EIGHT TIMES!  They are really hiding something.  I have reached tire changing time Town Fair wants $1233.88 to put new PAX tires on my car.

I called CT Consumer Protection and the Attorney General's office to complain.  They weren't much help.  I would like to get in the class action suit because if I can't get tire mileage, no one can.  My wife and I were to give this car to my son and daughter-in-law soon.  allowing them a great car as a freebie and get another Honda.  I can't do that now as they would be changing tires in a year again.

I plan to boycott Honda and Michellin.  

Now I need to know the specifics of replacing my tires/wheels. You folks have had some time to work on that.  Would you please share the details.  I would like alloy wheels and not Michellin tires. By the way, the PAX wheels would make great garden hose racks if you bolted them to the side of your house and you could tell the PAX story each time you are asked about the rim.
Happy New Year!

Please share the details!  Thanks.

My email is tobia56h@comcast.net  

itcjrb itcjrb
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/20/09
12:38 PM

ok, this is your resource for the pax tires replacement. I have them on my car now!
go to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390024459094

go to tirerack or discounttire order you some dunlop 245/45/19 sport maxx should run no more than $153.00 a tire. the rims total cost was $543.00 shipping/tax incl....go to whomever can depax these tires in your area and put these on, you won't be sorry Smile  

CarMomof3 CarMomof3
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 03/31/09
10:17 AM

We just de-PAX'd our '06 Odyssey Touring and couldn't be happier.  We went back & forth over ordering 16" or 17" wheels...opted to go with the 17's.  We ordered a great set of tires and wheels from TireRack.com, it's the ONLY place to go for tires on any vehicle.  The tires arrived the next day already mounted and balanced.  A local tire store installed our OEM TPMS sensors after my husband took his sawsall to the old PAX tires to get at the sensors (the sensors are screwed to the stems and tire store remounted and balanced the tires/wheels after installing the sensors).  No problems using the original sensors/stems, no problems with installing conventional tires.  Your car will not blow up or anything crazy like the garbage the dealer will feed you.  The car rides and handles awesome.  Also, it's so much quieter than old tires.

It was a bit of a hassle getting the spare tire, bolt and anchor situation figured out.  Dealers will tell you they don't sell the tire, can't find the number for the wheel (the wheel is actually called a disk in the parts catalog and the morons don't know where to look for it).  Just call Honda Parts and give them these numbers for the wheel, bolt and anchor and you'll be all set:
42700-SHJ-A51 disk, wheel 17x4T
83853-SHJ-A00 bolt, anchor
74666-SHJ-A00 anchor bolt

Your local tire dealer can order a tire to mount on the wheel (tirerack sells them, but they're pricier).  Here's the size: 135/80-17

My new wheels look great.  Bought a set of Rial's with a 5 year finish warranty and Goodyear tires (TireRack's wheel/tire recommendation for 17" wheels).  The Rial wheels are manufactured at a higher quality than OEM wheels, so we felt comfortable going with that.  We figured de-PAXing our car will most likely void any warranty regardless.  Best to go with the best wheels within your budget.  We couldn't be happier.  Now my Odyssey is perfect!  I'll drive it till these wheels fall off.
-Kristina  

nadaze nadaze
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/22/09
12:17 PM

I agree with Kristina...  I have a 2005 Odyssey Touring with all the bells and whistles, including the PAX tires and wheels...  I bought it on a 4-year lease... It is up next month... Got 45,000 plus (10,000 more than most folk) on my PAX tires... The front ones are bald... Still rides smooth, but am very disappointed in the expense and hoopla Mitchlin and Honda have created with this PAX stuff... My Honda service people are the best I've ever had in 40 years of having autos... But this PAX thing is crazy... As a teenager, I worked for my dad who sold tires for 20 plus years... He's been dead for 20 year now, but I can imagine what he would say about these PAX things...
The bottom line is... You can replace the wheels and tires from "Tirerack" online or with a local dealer who installs for them... I'm working with a local dealer who can order and install for "Tirerack"... He will provide all the warranties, and balance and rotate them as needed... He will re-use the old pressure sensors... I will have new high pressure 17" alloy wheels and top rated 235-60-17 tires... And all this for $1,000... Folk, this is not second rate stuff... As, far as the rest of the van, "I love it"... Ralph  

ermodude ermodude
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 05/05/09
05:35 PM

Email me at ermodude@aol.com and I'll send you what I did with my PAX 2005 Ody.Nick  

softball19 softball19
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 05/11/09
06:13 AM

The new touring model where PAX is optional comes with 235/60/17 rims/ tires as a standard tire set.  

HomerS.Odyssey HomerS.Odyssey
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 05/16/09
06:58 AM

Like CarMofo posted, its simple to swap out the pax wheels and tires.

Since my van is out of warranty, I wasn't too concerned about swapping out the pax system.  I de-paxed my '06 using 17" wheels and tires from TireRack, and the oem tire monitors. I got about 35k out my original pax tires and opted to replace them with the Sport Edition wheels and Continental tires.  I didn't bother disassembling the pax wheels, so I bought new tire monitors and the entire spare tire kit from the dealer.  The independent tire installer had to use washers to shim the valves/monitors to the rims, otherwise the valve threads are too short to secure them. Everything looks and works great. While it cost almost as much to de-pax the van as the dealer was charging to put new pax tires on, it'll save a lot of money on the next set of tires. It might even save some money on gas and brakes since the new wheels are a lot lighter than the original system.  

robhow robhow
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 05/24/09
10:55 AM

Thanks for the info....  Like you I am very upset with the way I have been treated by both Honda and particularly from Michelin..

I will DePAX my 05 Touring...and you can be sure I will NOT put Michelin tires on it..

Your information is very helpful.

Howie  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com