Item Posts   

1991 Dodge Dakota 3.9 EFI V6

| 
vitacop vitacop
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/11/08
08:01 AM

Hello all,
My 91 Dakota truck will not stay running. I have replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires thinking it needed a tune up but still the same. It will start if I mash the gas pedal but runs really rough. The Air Pump is frozen up and has no belt on it, I'm not sure if that could cause this problem. The truck ran fine for two day's, I put about 150 miles on it when out of the blue it started acting up. I have checked the in line fuel filter and it appears to be new (still shiny and no rust on it)I have also replaced the air filter. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could check next? Thanks for your time.
Alex  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Guru | Posts: 953 | Joined: 06/07
08:25 AM

The first thing I would do is take a fuel "pressure" test, Do you have any codes in the PCM? Like maybe a MAF sensor, or an Air charge sensor.  

vitacop vitacop
12:03 PM

I checked the fuel line, it appears to have been replaced with rubber fuel line hose in place of the steel line from the factory. I'm not sure what you mean by "PCM"? and the location of the other two sensors I'm not sure of either. How do I check for the codes? and does the fact that the old steel line  was replaced with a rubber hose have any effect on the motor?
Thanks Alex  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
12:52 PM

Usually when a sensor sends a bad signal to the computer(PCM) it will set a code , and the check engine light(MIL) will come on and some times go out, there is a diagnostic terminal that you can use a Scan tool to retrieve these codes,as far as the rubber hose, it will affect fuel pressure if it has deteriorated on the inside, and cause a blockage.  

vitacop vitacop
Posted: 04/13/08
03:00 PM

Yes the engine lite is on as well as the "maintenance required" lite. I called the local part store to see if they have a hand held computer to check for the codes and I was told that there is no hand held for the year truck I have. I would hate to take it to a garage to fix a simple problem. Also, I was told to check and see if my catalytic converter may also be clogged. I doesn't seem like it, the exhaust is pumping out well and there is no sound as if it would be clogged. I am going to start with replacing the EGR valve and see if that helps.
Thanks for the info. ALex  

vitacop vitacop
Posted: 04/17/08
07:33 AM

Ok, Ive changed the EGR valve and it ran good for a bit now it's back to the same problem. I took the idle control valve off cleaned it and it ran well, but once I shut it off and let it sit a day it ran terrible again. Also, Ive noticed that at the top of the carburetor there are two black half round plastic covers, which I believe are the top of the fuel injectors. I have noticed that there is fuel leaking around the base of both of them, is this normal? It only happens when given half or full throttle. It's not a lot of fuel just enough to see it and make it wet.
Thanks again for your help
Alex  

bckdrft75 bckdrft75
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/30/08
07:21 AM

Did you resolve this problem? I am having the same issue with my 1997 Dakota. I haven't looked any leaking fuel, but it seems that I can smell it. Sounds like our issues are the same & I was thinking injectors, but don't know how to check them.

Thanks,
Bryan Confused  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Posted: 04/30/08
07:31 AM

Alex  did you change the injector "o" rings?  

vitacop vitacop
Posted: 05/02/08
10:00 AM

no I have not checked the injector "o" rings. this is a throttle body injected system, are they located inside the throttle body it's self? As my previous post mentioned I have seen some fuel leaking around two small black plastic dome shaped parts on top of the throttle body which to me appear to be the top of the injectors. Also, I have it to where it's running a bit better, but now it's as if I have no brakes, the petal is hard even with the engine running, I never had a problem with them before, could all of my problems have something to do with vacuum? maybe bad hoses?
I'm getting ready to scrap this thing!!!!
Thanks Alex  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Posted: 05/02/08
10:38 AM

Sounds like you lost vacuum to the  booster. Check for vacuum and check the valve in the hose from the engine to the booster.  

vitacop vitacop
Posted: 05/04/08
04:17 PM

ok thanks I will check the valve and vacuum.  

jshie jshie
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/13/08
07:48 PM

Have you fixed the problem yet? I have the same motor in my 97 1500 truck. Every 20,000 miles I have to pull all the injectors and the throttle body. I take throttle body cleaner, Qtips and pipe cleaners scrub the entire TB inside and out. The injectors and the fuel rail I remove the 4 bolts that hold the fuel rail on and pull the entire rail of(of course after disconecting the fuel line and wires). Once I the rail on the work bench I remove the 6 clips, pull the injectors, pull off and throw away all the old O rings. I have learned my lesson the hard way with re-using them. New set of 4 ring for 2 bucks at Advanced auto. Spray the injectors with TB cleaner and clean with a Qtip. I leave a little cleaner in the top if the injectore and hit it with an air hose while toggling 12v off the battery with gator clips on each injector, do this a couple of times this gets all the crud out and you can see that each injector is working. once there all done lube the top and bottom O rings with vasoline. Install on rail re-insert clips. Prior to putting the rail back on the motor I take a flash light and look inside each injector hole spray them out with TB cleaner and clean with a Qtip, ensure that you dont loose the wadding inside the hole. when you hook everyhting back up check all the vacume lines. If you suspect a vacume leak your better off replacing the hose. If you cant find the leak let the motor run spray carb cleaner around when you hit the area with the leak youll hear the motor cut out a little....... good luck  

rollsafe rollsafe
User | Posts: 213 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 12/22/08
04:40 AM

Check the fuel line

used-auto-transmissions  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: