Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

2000 4Runner Automatic Transmission (Battery???) Problem

| 
caveman32 caveman32
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/24/09
04:17 PM

I also began having this problem just a few weeks ago.  2000 4runner about 160,000 miles on it.  I have never owned a automatic transmission in my Toyota and was hesitant to buy  it. Too many reasons for it to go bad.
The truck has been starting hard and one real cold day and a hard start I got it out the driveway but it would not go once on the road. Reverse back in and switched vehicles. Scares me cause I just bought it. I thought the brakes were stuck. Am gonna try a new battery, before I do anything else. I might take it in for a trans oil change and filter also.
steve  

a3fins a3fins
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 03/03/09
08:08 PM

I read this forum a while ago. I had the same problem. 2000 4runner with 127k. I changed the battery, which was the original, I am the original owner, and the problem went away. Bottom line, if the battery is old, change it first. Grin  

caveman32 caveman32
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 08/31/09
03:53 PM

Now my trans is slipping. I had a bad feeling about a used vehicle with an auto trans all along. Had a 94 manual for years never a lick of trouble, gonna be pissed if this costs me an arm and a leg. Can't afford that right now.
Steve  

440t4 440t4
Guru | Posts: 1009 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 08/31/09
07:29 PM

from what most of these people are describing it sounds to me like the low sprag is slipping.This would tend to happen when it is cold out and the vehicle has been sitting overnight.once it warms up a little it will work   until eventually it goes completely.When the sprag slips if you put the trans in low {1} the vehicle should stop slipping because the low/reverse clutches come on and hold the same drum as the sprag does.The only way to repair this is to completely disassemble the trans.I dont think the battery is the problem in any of these cases.  

Runner4 Runner4
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/30/09
07:46 PM

I have a 99 4Runner Limited 4WD with 165,000 miles.  Great truck, had it since it was new.  I have had the same problem with my automatic transmission for about 6 months.  It worked fine backing out of the garage, but put it in Drive and it barely moved while the engine rev'd for about 5 seconds.  It ran great after that.  This would not happen every time, just sometimes, but always when the engine was cold. I had the transmission flushed at the Toyota place two months ago, no change. Last week I bought a new battery and the transmission problem went away.  The 5 year old Diehard I had was not dead, but would not hold a charge over the weekend.  Sears said it was fine. Finally got tired of jumping it off on Monday mornings and bought one at Wal-Mart, MaxxStart.  I was still seaching the internet in case the transmission problem came back and found this site.  I hope the $75 battery was the solution.  

mrbreeze mrbreeze
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/23/10
12:36 PM

1999 4runner with same synptoms. Changed the fluid and cleaned the screen first, that didn't help but it needed it anyway. Put a new battery in a month ago and have had 0 problems with it since. Thanks to this forum we saved $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  

Attiya Attiya
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/18/10
05:21 AM

PapiJulio, I'm wondering what ever happened to your vehicle.  Your description sounds the most like my current issue.  I'm taking it to the shop to have it diagnosed today, but with the terrible winding noise I've been hearing, I highly doubt that my issue is simply a battery.

Thanks!  

GMCSIERRA05 GMCSIERRA05
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/08/10
09:51 PM

THIS WAS NOT CAUSED BY YOUR BRAKES STICKING. The shop obviously wasn't able to diagnose the transmission problem so they took the brake job, axle seal, whatever to make some money.  An intermittent problem like this sounds like a solenoid in the tranny, probably the one that controls the fluid circuit for the forward apply clutch pack. My mothers 4runner is having the same intermitant symptoms now so I'll reply when we figure it out. The solenoids are one of the few parts of an automatic that can be replaced w/o removing the tranny, an easy fix if caught in time. Very rare that a shop can get the vehicle to exhibit the symptoms when you bring it in but if they are good, and you give them an accurate description of the problem, they should be able to locate thee problem. If they're good.  

jdjolley jdjolley
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/31/10
10:17 AM

Has anyone who has replaced their battery had the same things come back? I am now having the same issue (2001 4runner w/115k miles). Have had to shop twice to no avail. Replaced battery a couple of years ago and am curious is this did seem to fix everyone's issue. Thanks!  

Rloe4 Rloe4
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 09/14/10
09:41 AM

I have a 2000 4runner 149K on it experiencing same problems. Mech wants to do a rebuild on tranny. Did the battery fix last for everyone?  

frfuentez frfuentez
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 11/25/10
09:45 PM

My Toyo just started doing this exact same thing yesterday and today. I'm gonna try the battery swap and I will post the results.  

frfuentez frfuentez
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 12/19/10
03:41 PM

Well, I put a new battery in the day after thanksgiving and it is almost Xmas and have not had that problem again.  

4runner2 4runner2
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/22/10
12:40 PM

I also have a 2000 4 Runner and am having transmission problems. My is a little different. It won't go into passing gear and it just doesn't seem to be moving. If I kick down on it, it barely moves. Engine rpms go up and the speed is very sluggish up to about 45 and that is about as far as it goes. Any ideas. Could it be the solenoids? If so, anybody know where these solenoids are located?

Thanks  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 12/22/10
07:24 PM

4runner2

it sounds like its not shifting....

its an OBD2 truck... check for transmission codes....

in the P0700 to P0799 range...

look at the live data stream also for the sensors..

this requires a scan tool.. and access to a manual or electronic version...

i don't know if the harbor freight 98614 will talk to the toyota computer and access the transmission codes or live data... it might..

check for codes first....  transmission codes may also NOT light up the check engine light...i am not sure on toyotas..

there are lots of trouble shooting charts available for it..

need more info.. post...  

Sarah White Sarah White
User | Posts: 79 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/23/10
04:44 AM

Could you please test and currents? Maybe it's not enough amps than to start the truck and if the battery is low and just started the truck there would not be enough power to cause proper operation.
Try Electrical System First  
Find Cheap Insurance. Save up to 700$ with http://www.onlinetopinsurance.com

Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Toyota 4Runner
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
SUV
Rating:
Above Average Above Average

Research Categories: