1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Low tire pressure Sensors

| 
ftalan ftalan
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/01/08
05:51 AM

Has anyone experienced a problem with the metal valve stems on the wheels showing stress cracks or completely snapping off.

We recently had a cold snap up here in Michigan and have seen two cases of  valve stems with the tire pressure sensor showing signs of fatigue or cracking.  The first case we had a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan equipped with the low tire pressure monitor system snap off while we were filling the rear tire with air.  We replaced the tire sensor at the local Dodge dealer and were told six other people had ordered that part the same day.  

The Second Incident one day later was a on a 2007 Jeep Liberty equipped with a low tire pressure monitoring system.  We had our technician inspect the valve stems and noticed one was cracking.  Customer was advised since vehicle was under warranty to bring to the dealership for service.

Please respond if you have been seeing issues of this in your area.  Just curious if these are two isolated incidents or the beginning of an issue.  

rhuester rhuester
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/12/08
01:11 PM

I have an 08' Wrangler Sahara.  Mine broke off today taking the cap off.  One rule of thumb to pass on is to NEVER install any metal caps on the threaded valve stem.  Be sure to only use plastic.  The cost to replace the stem/sensor mechanism is from $50-$70 + installation.  

CapriRacer CapriRacer
Enthusiast | Posts: 292 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 11/13/08
04:51 AM

Metal tire valve CAPS have nothing to do with the TPMS.  In fact metal valve caps add another level of sealing and are preferable over plastic caps.  

brookjaa brookjaa
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/12/09
11:36 AM

Today we had a problem with the valve stem also on our 08 Dodge Grand Caravan.  We just had the oil changed and they filled the tires and the driver side tire had lost pressure and then this morning the tire was flat.  Went to fill it and the stem broke off in my hand and I think this is due to them filling the air and not paying attention.  Of course this is sunday and the dealer is not open so I will be taking it to the dealer in the am and see just what is going to go on. Will keep you all up to date.  

lkluesnerengr lkluesnerengr
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/12/09
09:44 AM

I have a 2008 Chrysler T & C that is only 16 months old and I had two steams crack after I put air in the tires.  This left me stranded on my vacaction.

Metal is very corroded and it sure appears Chrylser has a major design flaw with this item.  

travelmt09 travelmt09
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/20/09
08:08 PM

I just purchased a used 2009 T&C.  We noticed that there were no valve caps on it. The salesman immediately put 4 plastic caps on.  Drove home and the temperature dropped about 30 degrees overnight. In the morning my pressure sensor is in alarm. I check the tire pressures for the alarm I find that 3 of the four valve stems are broken.
I report to the dealer and he ordered 3 new sensors. While we wait for the sensors to arrive, I get a screw in my 1 good tire and low alarm again. I tried to put air in and the valve stem broke off in my hand.  Now we put the spare on and wait for Monday and a dealer to open. The local tire guy doesn't want any part of this tire repair. Since I had business 45 miles away from home I headed for the nearest dealer in that direction. I stopped at 2 dealers for the sensor. The second dealer says it is a warranty item and they can fix it.  After a long wait the story is that it could cost me $600.00 to fix because they are so expensive. I know that the Dodge dealer just told me that they were $56.00 each and I only need one for today or a regular valve stem to get me on the road.  This dealer called the country dealer where I bought car and told them that this is not a warranty issue. It was an abuse problem and that they had the wrong cap on the stems. That the PLASTIC CAP may have caused the problem.  What? Finally they decide to put a regular valve stem in fixed the flat off of the car for $25.00 and sent me on my way.  They wouldn't do this 3 hours earlier. What is the story with the sensors. Look but don't touch? Very scary.  

dkatnik dkatnik
User | Posts: 74 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/21/09
07:03 AM

I remember back in the good ole days drivers were responsible for maintaining the correct air pressure in the tires on THEIR cars with the use of a $2 air pressure guage.  Now we have a higher level of technology involved to perform a very simple task. Be careful what you wish for!  

hithard89 hithard89
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/07/09
04:48 PM

This is not a isolated incident it has happend to me.  About 2 months ago I was washing my car when I noticed bubbles coming from the air valve on the tire I touched it and it shot off.  Took it to the dealer they replaced it.   Yesterday the air pressure light sensor went off while I was on a trip far from any dealership,   Mind you it was below freezing the night prior and found that 3 out of 4 tpms metal valve stems were cracked.  My wife took it to the dealer this morning and they would not replace them because they seemed to tell her it was her fault maybe she hit something or whatever.   2 of the valves were on opposite sides of the van, give me a break.  Well needless to say I am quite upset and talked to the service department and the manager also with no help from them.  He was actually quite rude Naperville Jeep/Dodge in IL.     Then I called Chrysler filed a report she said I should get a call by tomorrow.    Any other ideas for me?  

Caliber Caliber
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/29/09
09:10 AM

I have an 09 Caliber with the same defective valve stems. I have had to replace 2 in the last month. One was caught during Snow tire change over, but the other just "blew apart" while the car was parked. Deflation was IMMEDIATE. I can't imagine what that would of been like at 60 mph!! Clearly Chysler has a problem with these, which they are trying to keep quiet. Not sure what to do next, the dealers are replacing them at no charge, but for how long and what if some gets killed when one let go at high speed?  

pthomson1 pthomson1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/05/10
10:03 PM

I have a 2005 Chrysler Town & Country minivan with the tire pressure sensor system.  The valve stem is made of aluminum or white metal with porosity problems that allow moisture and salt to penetrate the metal with subsequent corrosion and complete failure.  My tire pressure monitor warning message lit up and as I went to check the tires I had difficulty removing one cap.  It felt as if the plastic cap threads were stripped so I tried to twist it off with pliers and got the cap plus the valve and part of the stem.  Examination of the metal stem revealed severe corrosion.  This never happened with brass valve stems so the new sensors with aluminum stems have provided a new cause for failure. I had the sensor and valve stem replaced by my local garage at a cost of $110 but so far haven't gotten the warning light to go out even though all tires have been checked personally at 35 psi. I wouldn't want one to let go at high speed but mine took at least 15 seconds to totally deflate so you would have more time to bring your car to a controlled stop than with a blow out. I was just thankful mine was in my own driveway and it wasn't snowing. Drove the car less than a mile and the TPMS reset with the light and warning message going out. No further problems for now.  

ksusko ksusko
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/12/10
12:09 PM

I have a 09 Dodge Jouney with the same issue.  The (feels like plastic) valve stem cracked right in half and deflated my tire in about 8-10 seconds.  

I went to the dealership and they said it was NOT covered under warranty and the whole thing (sensor included) must be replaced.  Total cost was over $120.00 all because of that faulty valve stem!  There are posts on other sites stating this same issue however some say it was covered under warranty and other's say it was not?  

Why aren't ALL of them covered?  Are some dealerships (like mine) scamming people and charging them for covered parts?  

jrgarage jrgarage
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 02/26/10
08:51 AM

You are correct capriracer the metal caps have nothing to do with the sensor but it sure does a job on the stem..in our experience almost everytime someone has installed metal caps on TPMS stems it gets corroded and breaks off upon removal, so you go out to put air in a tire for a customer and the thing breaks off in your hand and now they want to know why its going to cost them $75-$80 or more to put air in their tire."and you broke it". We always put plastic caps on TPMS stems and you should NEVER put metal caps on them.  

JWSowner JWSowner
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 06/15/10
07:22 AM

I'm glad I found this forum.  I built and ordered a Jeep Wrangler Sarah in 2008 and I've replaced 4 valve stems to date.  Had a discussion with my local dealer regarding the stem cracks "No problem it's under warrantee" until the warrantee runs out. RIGHT!  The stem has nothing to do with the sensor it's a seperate component but Jeep lists it as a single unit.  I've located documantation regarding loss of tire pressure leading to fatalities with highway driving not sure if I want this.  What really bothers me is my dealer has seen this before and has done nothing with Jeep or Chrysler regarding the poor quality valve stems.  Once out of warrantee the cost is $120.00 for a $3.00 valve stem come on!  Fleecing of Americans and another good example why our auto industry tanked.  I have a reference # 19602631 and case manager (Deseria) with Jeep everone should call her to resolve this because it should be a "safety recall" and maybe Desaria will call you back because she will not call me.  

JWSowner JWSowner
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 06/15/10
07:24 AM

I'm glad I found this forum.  I built and ordered a Jeep Wrangler Sarah in 2008 and I've replaced 4 valve stems to date.  Had a discussion with my local dealer regarding the stem cracks "No problem it's under warrantee" until the warrantee runs out. RIGHT!  The stem has nothing to do with the sensor it's a seperate component but Jeep lists it as a single unit.  I've located documantation regarding loss of tire pressure leading to fatalities with highway driving not sure if I want this.  What really bothers me is my dealer has seen this before and has done nothing with Jeep or Chrysler regarding the poor quality valve stems.  Once out of warrantee the cost is $120.00 for a $3.00 valve stem come on!  Fleecing of Americans and another good example why our auto industry tanked.  I have a reference # 19602631 and case manager (Deseria) with Jeep everone should call her to resolve this because it should be a "safety recall" and maybe Desaria will call you back because she will not call me.  

BuickWildcat BuickWildcat
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/07/10
01:54 PM

Chrysler now says not to use metal valve caps.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com