Xml
Item Posts   

2003 G35 Heater and Radio Control Failure

| 
warthog35 warthog35
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/03/08
10:37 PM

Since the 90,000 kilometer mark I have experienced intermittent air conditioner operations.  The AC unit would be set to maximum cooling but deliver only warm air.  When the dealership checked the compressor performance and cool air output they indicated the unit was operating to specifications.

At a follow up visit to the dealership at the 95,000 kilometer mark I reported the same intermittent problem with the air conditioner.  It was at this visit that the service representative suggested that the heater circuit board, incorporated with the radio, could have an internal fault.  He mentioned other G35's had had problems with the radio and heater controls.

During the summer of 2007 I experienced more than 30 failures of the heater and radio controls.  The temperature and radio display fails as well as control of the radio and temperature functions.  

Over the months of November and December of 2007 the radio alone has turned turn off for minutes at a time and the display will go dark.  

The solution suggested by Infiniti service is to purchase a new radio/heater circuit board for $700 and if this does not solve the problem an additional $400 control board would need to also be installed.

During my last service visit I overheard a customer recounting a similar problem with his 2005 G35.  

This is an obvious poor design and/or inferior product that is common to many G35s.  Nissan/Infiniti should shoulder the responsibility of fixing this problem.  

nandou nandou
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/19/08
07:04 PM

I'm having the same problem at 75,000m. (2003 G35) The radio and air controls go dark, I can control the radio on the steering wheel only.   I was at the dealership yesterday where they replaced the old with a new circuit board but it still did not work.  They put back the old and it worked- for one day.  Now they tell me I need a new radio ($1500.00). Somehow I don't believe this is going to do it.  

ametem ametem
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/06/08
02:27 PM

did you ever get this problem fixed, i am now having the same problem, told a new radio is $400 and the new circuit board is over $700 not including the labour, can get by not seeing the radio display and controlling from steering wheel but now cannot access heat controls  

ametem ametem
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/06/08
02:29 PM

did you ever get the problem fixed, ever see a recall on this? I now have the same problem and again the dealer is talking big bucks  

Wenis Wenis
User | Posts: 132 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/08/08
05:47 PM

I found this bulletin, I'd check into it before spending any money.

To prevent this condition, Infiniti has initiated a Voluntary Service Campaign to replace the audio finisher circuit board on these vehicles, Google this "Reference: ITB03-007" or just call the dealer and ask.

The CAMPAIGN I.D. # : P3104.  

amiga.delmundo amiga.delmundo
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/21/10
07:37 PM

Thanks! I didn't happen to me until 130,000 mi. but must be repaired before winter.  

cwatty cwatty
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 11/19/10
08:00 PM

The Service campaign mentioned above only covers vehicles that were made from Jan to Aug 2002.(this doesnt make any sense to me since its the 2003 model) I have an G35 that was built in Jan 03 and they will not cover the problem with the A/C coming on full blast and the radio and controls do not work. I have even written to the CEO of the company to no avail, with a copy of the Service campaign. I dont even think they provide him with my letter. I received a letter from their consumer affairs, stating it is not under warranty. I am trying to determine how many people out there are having the same problem and those who have spent the money to fix it themselves. I am not about to pay 1700.00 to have it fixed when they had a service campaign, the service campaign should cover all vehicles of the same make, model and year, no matter when it was built. I am thinking of contacting a lawyer to see what can be dont about this matter. I will never again buy an Infinti or Nissan and I am going to let everyone know about this issue and how the company will not back their product. I even had a service person tell me what did I expect since the car was 8 yrs old on another matter.  

stacar66 stacar66
Posted: 11/20/10
03:40 PM

I went down the same road over a year ago since my VIN# did not fall within the range. I finally took the radio out myself after following some online instructions: http://www.sound-repair.com/index.php/infiniti-g35-03-05-stereo-removal-instructions/

I took the radio to a guy I know locally who seems to be an electronic wizard and he was able to fix it.  It lasted about a year and now I am having similar problems once again.  He took it apart this time but it's not the same part so now I am trying to track down either a new circuit board or a chip, see attached.  There's a used radio at an auto wreckers for $250 but haven't gone down that road yet.  Just may end up trying that.   carl@patene.com  

2003g35408 2003g35408
Posted: 11/27/10
11:42 PM

hi, my 2003 G35 just started to have the same problem. It is working as of right now, but not sure if it will go out anyday now. Where is the circuit board located exactly? Is it on the cd player/climate control unit? I know you can get the JDM double din dash kit with climate control unit at the dealership for around $350, but i'm not sure if that will solve the problem. Also i found a guy locally selling his OEM headunit, will getting anothe rheadunit solve the problem? I was planning on getting theMetra double din dash kit and a pioneer touchscreen navigation headunit, will that solve the problem?

thanks  

prostock426 prostock426
New User | Posts: 21 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 11/28/10
04:41 AM

To all who have posted about this issue.

I've used the posted TSB to resolve the described issue. As TSB's goes it's not that difficult to follow. On the other hand if you're not used to working with TSB's this is not the one to learn on. It doesn't matter that the TSB is from 2002 and your vehicles are 2003. This is common with many TSB's. It has to do with late production dates. Countless vehicles are produced late in one year, only to be sold (and considered) the next years model.

Example: 2000 Toyota RAV-4 that was sold in 2000, but actually built late in 1999.

The earth was created in eight days and not seven. On the seventh day GOD realized he needed help so he called in the MARINE CORPS.

God Bless The United States Marine Corps.

The earth was created in eight days and not seven. On the eighth day GOD realized he needed help, so he called in THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS.

madpooch madpooch
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 10/07/11
07:54 AM

I'm having the same problem as well. My VIN is out of the range and manufactured in Sep 2002 (outside of the range). I've called consumer affairs and they want to pay get a diagnostic test done at $150/hr first before anything else can be done. The dealership in the Bay Area is quoting me $700 for the new audio finisher board chip + $150 for installation on top of the diagnostic fee. From all my google search, I've yet to find any real solution to this problem. Has anyone has any success resolving this problem? I'm so fedup that I don't even mind spending the $1200 to get this fixed but it scares me when I read that even the new audio finisher chip may not solve the problem and Infiniti dealership is asking for another $400 for a new radio. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. I'm in San Jose, CA so if if anyone has any other mechanics/etc here that they have used to fixed this problem, please let me know. Thanks!  

chrisnlori chrisnlori
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 11/07/11
06:45 PM

I'm also having the same problem.  This is actually the second time I'm dealing with this.  My 03 g35 sedan was at the dealer for almost 2 weeks before they solved the problem and fixed it, supposedly.  $800 for a new radio and 2 weeks later, I'm in the same boat....temp gauge goes black, ac/fan is on full blast and the ghost controls the radio turning it on and off and on and off and volume goes on full blast as well.  Good thing the steering wheel controls work to turn off the radio, don't want to know how much it will cost me to replace blown speakers done by faulty parts.  Dealer told me my car was out of warranty and did not qualify for the voluntary recall.  If anyone has any suggestions about getting this problem fixed, permanently,  and possibly getting reimbursed by Infiniti, please let me know!!  I don't want to pay out of pocket again to fix the problem and I don't need the ac on permanently in the winter time!!  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4549 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 11/07/11
08:44 PM

chris.... i would call nissan north america...  customer service..

be sure to have the your copy of all the papers.. the work orders.. the estimates...  the receipts..

this might not be an easy problem to diagnose.. especially when the dealerships lately have been replacing experienced techs with low pay parts changers..

not every mechanic knows electrical systems ... its a whole different section and the last few cars i have had problems with .. i have had to print a dozen wiring diagram pages and carefully test each circuit to determine what is actually going on..

voluntary recalls are usually not time or mileage limited on other than drive train parts...

to make things easier..   please sit in the car with a note pad..

test every device on the dash...  every button...

you might photocopy the page from the owners manual that describes the push buttons..

mark each item to if it works or NOT..  this will help the search for something that is causing problems..

you might also ask for a printed copy of the entire voluntary recall.  i have not seen it...

please also list anything that has been installed...

there is another forum post on jeep grand cherokees that everything inside the jeep quit working..  the jeep still ran.. but NOTHING worked.. some turned out to be broken wires in the flex tube between the body and the door between the hinges..  
and a few turned out to be the IPOD adaptor that was installed between the radio and the harness to allow your ipod to be installed directly.. this took out the CAN system  (controller area Network)  

you could have a bad ground..

you could have a bad power side connection..

you could have a bad relay..

you could have a bad ignition switch..

you could have a bad electrical connection...

i don't personally have a factory service manual for a G35..

please list the devices one at a time and i may try to find some info on them if you need it..

depending on what state you live in..   when they charged you for the repair.. and it failed in 2 weeks its still under warrantee for that repair.. .

the more i read your post.. the more i think its a bad ground or a bad connection..

again.. call nissan or infinity north america...  with all your paperwork..  the Vin number from the car.. the mileage.. and the production date off the sticker on the door..  

donovanhh1 donovanhh1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/14
Posted: 10/27/14
08:26 PM

Apparently a lot of folks are having the same issues with with this car.  I just bought a 2003 g35 with only 78k miles and found out that the radio doesn't work nor the climate control as it is stuck at 75.  I did some extensive research and was surprise to to find out that this is a widespread problem and for infiniti to ignore this problem by not having a recall of sorts is mind boggling.  
There are so many other issues with this car.  This will be my one and only Infiniti.
We're you able to contact an attorney and get their opinion?  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: