Xml
Item Posts   

2000 Windstar - no heat from front vents

| 
JimBenjamin JimBenjamin
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/09/07
03:28 PM

I know this topic has been here a few times but...

There is no heat coming from the front vents or defroster for our Windstar.
Heat is working okay for the back of the minivan.

I looked at the blender door actuator - and when I move the temp slider, I can see the shaft rotating and don't hear any unusual noises...

I checked coolant level - it's normal and I also had a cooling system flush in May 2006 (which was about 25K miles ago.)

Any ideas on potential cause of the problem, or specific additional things I should check before giving up and bringing in to a repair shop?

Thanks....  

pullmyfinger pullmyfinger
New User | Posts: 32 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 12/14/07
10:52 AM

Sounds like the blend door motor. Very very common on the 99 & newer Windstars.  

Redneck43 Redneck43
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/06/09
07:21 PM

I have the same problem on my 2001 Windstar. Are there any instructions out there on how to go about replacing the blend door motor?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 12/06/09
08:03 PM

there are several sources of information...

autozone.com....   you have to join and log in... when you select your car or truck... there will be a little blue text link above the year make and model.. you have selected.. called   repair info..

i will take a look there before the night is done...

there is more info available at

eautorepair.net

or alldatadiy.com

both of these are  electronic versions of the factory repair manual...   sorted slightly differently...

dormanproducts.com  has the blend door motors and blend doors... for a lot of applications... some through most autoparts stores...

Air Conditioning, Air Door Actuators

Item Number   604-200  
Ford E-Series Vans, Windstar 2004-96.
Description: Air Door Actuator
Make: Ford
OE #: XC2Z-19E616-AA
Brand: Dorman - OE Solutions

do a google search for dorman 604-200    then click on the shopping link.. you will see pictures of it...  the az site did not describe how to get at it.. but i bet it is not hard... once you know what it looks like....

the alldatadiy.com and the eautorepair.net    will have trouble shooting charts and info...  to diagnose it...  most of these systems require a scan tool to work on...

hope this helps...   looks easy to change...  if you fit under the dash board...  

sjc1972 sjc1972
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/08/10
12:40 PM

To replace the blend door acuator go to advanced auto and get one. Remove the lower center console
that consisit of four plastic screws two on each side.Pull out your drink holder and then get on your back and look up in there and you will see the acutator it is held on with three screws 8mm and a electrical plug. You might have to manually turn the blend door with a screw driver in order to get the new on to slide in.  

grimreeper84 grimreeper84
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/11/12
01:11 PM

i was just reading all the heater problems posted about no front heat so i thought i just add  some solutions to some of these problems.  first thing if your not getting any heat from the front and i'm sure these nice other folks have told you ,turn on the back heater check for heat if there is heat then you have a blend door problem. One problem may be no electricity to the actuator and if you here that darn clicking noise this is a dead give away to broken gears, then its either like they said the actuator or something stuck behind the blend door in which you mite not want to turn the heat on till its serviced if you can because the heater housings are known to break. like the other gentalmen said use the screw driver this might help

Now if you have'nt found any help for taking this apart here might be some help to get you started first remove the radio with the radio tool remover unplug the radio harness holding the tab under it with your finger pulling it out ,then pull out the antena wire

Next pull out 4 screws 7mm two are right behind the cup holder ,two above were the radio was then pull out the plastic molding cover, now look back against the heater housing you will see a white actuator with a plug and three 8 mm bolts take them off unplug and pull it out towards you ,because you will see a shaft, when you got this piece of out use a straight screw driver and lift gently out on the locking tabs on the sides holding it level lift cover off right by the electrical engine there will be gears look to see if the tooth fairy came to windstarville if so most likey  the actuator gears, the actuator depending on were you are located is a dealer part or napa it runs arond 40.00 to 80.00 dolars. also if you want to know a clue into if your actuator door has junk behind look to your cabin filter under the hood some times it becomes dislodge and it gets leaves all stuck in there and it goes into the heater housing. Now this for the people that don't have the money or you got that windstar thats one leg in the junk yard and you don't want to buy a actuator here's a seccert the back actuator is virtualy the same. Using 2000 windstar as guide.      first remove seat yes get some one to help you, then remove the seat belt with a 55 star, then remove the plastic screw and pull this pillar molding off of the top back left by the rear gate, then pull off the two screws on the large lower panel on left pull whole panel out to expose the rear heater core if you look the actuator is black remove with 8mm screws same as front . take apart same as front if you look one has the actuator door shaft rod sticking up ,one is down just switch in some cases up down or just take the rod from front and put it in the back black actuator case same as it was put in the front actuator or just take the gears out change. just make sure before you start changing parts take a good look at the way it is put together, yes i know this that in  some parts of the world this is called jerry rigging but some times its neccary. note if your going to switch the front with the back the back will start clicking, so if this drives you crazy just leave the back actuator unhooked so make sure to tape up the harnness connecter with electrical tape good and stuff were it won't be near heater line hose's  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com