Xml
Item Posts   

engine "knocking"/ticking noise

| 
cbassett01 cbassett01
New User | Posts: 47 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 11/11/07
10:41 PM

I have a 97 honda civic with the VTEC engine and an automatic trans.  In cold weather, I've noticed that the car makes a knocking/rattling sound, but only until the engine warms up.  After the engine warms up (or about 3 minutes) it goes away.  It also varies with speed of the engine.  At certain RPMs (particularly, below 2000), I don't hear the sound as much (when the car is warming up) than if I speed up the engine to around 2500-3000 RPM).

Again, I said this goes away after a minute or two, or until the car warms up.  It only seems to do it when it's cold out (below 40-45 degrees or so).  Is it possible that I have a stuck valve or something?  

I first thought it was a rod or something, but then again, it's been doing it since last winter, and nothing has broken yet.  Plus the car stil runs and drives fine.  I just don't know what this noise is.  I do think that the car is a bit underpowered/restricted in some way, and was wondering if this was maybe cause it somehow?

Also, could a periodically mis-firing spark plug/wire cause this noise?  

cbassett01 cbassett01
New User | Posts: 47 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 11/11/07
10:44 PM

I also thought it might help if i added this too:  the car does seem to be buring or loosing oil somehow.  I go through about 1/2 to 1 quarter per month of oil.  I don't see any drips anywhere, and there is no smoke coming from the tailpipe, so I'm wondering if maybe the car is buring oil little by little because of something like a stuck valve.

And about the performance... I still think the car isn't putting out as much torque and/or horsepower as it should... and I"m thinking it might be valve or piston related.

In a good running 97 Civic, shouldn't you be able to "peel out" a little on dry pavement???  Beucase I can't.  

joyjam joyjam
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/10/08
05:57 AM

I have the exact same issue, also a 97 civic, but manual trans.
Did you ever find out what the problem was?  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com