Item Posts   

e4od tranny problems

| 
larry121160 larry121160
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/20/07
02:11 PM

I have a 1992 F150 e40d tranny 4x4.
It stopped shifting and began slipping all of a sudden the other day. It goes in reverse fine .
If I manually put it in drive, nothing happens, and 2nd the same and if I put it in 1st then hit the gas, it feels/sounds like the break is on (like the engine rpms decrease rather quickly.
I replaced the TPS,EVP,Engine Temp,MAP, and VSS on the differential, No difference
I pulled the codes with my little black and yellow Ford Code Reader and got these codes...116,,,311....538,,,,632....no codes for the transmission.
I know ALL the sensors have to be working in order for the transmission to shift correctly.
I pulled the pcm out and opened it up,and I notice on all three barrel like capacitors are kinda rusty around the solder points, but I dont know if that has anything to do with it or not, because I dont know what part of the PCM controls the tranny, and I also checked all the fuses.
Can some please enlighten me!!!  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Guru | Posts: 953 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 10/20/07
04:42 PM

Do a pressure line rise test. You should have 50psi in drive at idle and quick line rise to 120psi with just a touch on the throttle. Realy sounds like the solenoid pac. or a bad PCM(EEC) .Do you have a realy good and strong reverse?The PCM(EEC) and solenoid pac does not control reverse that is left up to the MLP.  

cappyd892 cappyd892
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/24/07
06:35 PM

I have a 1992 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel with an E40D transmission that wont shift.  When I put it in reverse it goes right into reverse and when I put it in drive it goes right into drive.  When I take off in drive it does not shift into second.  If I manually put it into second it goes into second but will not shift into third.  I can only manually shift between first and second.  I took the magnetic sensor off the rear end and it looks OK and I removed the wiring harness and the wires and connectors look OK.  Can someone please tell me where to start???   I thought that the kickdown cable was stuck but I understand that this tranny is all electronic.  Any suggestions???  
1992 Ford F-250 7.3L Diesel, 10" SkyJacker LiftKit, 39.5" SuperSwampers, 6" Peterbuildt Stacks, Hypermaxx Turbo Kit.

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Guru | Posts: 953 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 10/25/07
08:34 AM

There is a few items that would cause this,the 1-2 shift valve, the solenoid pac,(s2 solenoid), the EEC,Did you do a pressure test? the only different in d-1 to man 2nd is in man 2nd it applies the coast clutch and the band,but the band is also applied in reverse and you have good reverse,I would realy be checking into the s2 shift solenoid, or the MLP, and the EEC.  

cappyd892 cappyd892
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/25/07
04:30 PM

what is the MLP?  
1992 Ford F-250 7.3L Diesel, 10" SkyJacker LiftKit, 39.5" SuperSwampers, 6" Peterbuildt Stacks, Hypermaxx Turbo Kit.

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com