| 
Lumbee Lumbee
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/24/07
08:43 AM

...why did I let my buddy at work talk into this!   Crazy

I have the transmssion down to this point:

P1010267

I think the gear on the bottom shaft on the right needs to come off to get both shafts out.  Any ideas on how to get it out?  Don't have a bearing puller that long...press maybe?

Also I found this on one of the shafts:

P1010265
P1010266

...this is a woodruff slot/keys.  They are pretty mauled up...wondering if I can get new keys and maybe weld and return the shaft on a lathe.  Any/all comments welcome...  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 761 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 10/24/07
06:00 PM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you're in a little over your head. I would recommend finding a good and reputable transmission shop in your area, just bagging and boxing up all the components you currently have (right down to every washer, bearing, etc.) and have a professional re-build it. Consider it a lesson learned.  

audienthusiast5985 audienthusiast5985
New User | Posts: 49 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/25/07
07:32 AM

you're a brave one indeed. good luck with that, i admire you're effort.  

Lumbee Lumbee
Posted: 10/26/07
06:30 AM

...ah ed, give me a little credit!  I take machining classes at the local tech school, where we have a press.  I tool the chunk out there, and pressed everything out.  That shaft was for sure in pretty bad shape.  We welded the slots shut last night, and my plan is to turn it back down to size, and recut square keys (no woodruffs) and press the gear back on.  Hopfully will start the reassembly next week.  

elittleton73 elittleton73
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/07
08:00 AM

I admire your courage.  Think it is great to be a DIY.  Looks like you are on the right track.  I'm going to try and rebuild my transmission starting this weekend.  

Lumbee Lumbee
02:07 PM

...my thing is take your time and enjoy the process, and i have a alternative form of transportation...that being my motorcycle.  also helps to have someone you know who can bail you out if you get in a pinch.  the number one rule i follow is the doctors Hippocratic oath...'do no harm'.  so don't force anything...if you have to force it, your probably not doing it right...  

Lumbee Lumbee
Posted: 10/31/07
01:18 PM

...re-machined the shaft, and pressed in new keys.  can start reassembly now...

P1010274  

Lumbee Lumbee
Posted: 11/06/07
07:09 AM

...got the transmission back together this weekend.  Wasn't feeling real confident about it until I actually got the housing back one.  Was able to shift through all the gears smoothly.  Will get it back in the truck this weekend...  

Lumbee Lumbee
Posted: 11/12/07
07:44 AM

...well, got it all back together on Saturday.  Re-assembly was surprisingly uneventful.    Cool   Everything runs great!!  ...except for 3rd gear that is.   Mad   Goes goes into 3rd OK, but then doesn't want do come out.  Haven't decided wether I'm just not going to use 3rd anymore or not.  Crazy  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com