Prev |  1 |  2
Item Posts   

2001 Chevy Malibu - Wont start

| 
jrjnaf7 jrjnaf7
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/03/10
08:17 PM

I HAD THE SAME PROB WITH MY 03 MALIBU, THE EGR VALVE WENT OUT AND IT DIED AND WOULD NOT START. TRY CHANGING THE EGR VALVE OR UNPLUG IT. IT IS LOCATED ON THE TOP BACK RIGHT SIDE OF THE MOTOR. IT LOOKS LIKE A METAL CAN THAT HAS I TUBE FROM THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD RUNNING TO IT AND A PLUG. UNPLUG IT FIRST AND SEE IF IT STARTS.  

jrjnaf7 jrjnaf7
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/03/10
08:20 PM

CHECK THE EGR VALVE, TRY TO UNPLUG IT AND START IT, ALSO YOU COULD BUY A REPAIR MANUAL AT AN AUTO PARTS STORE TO HELP YOU DIAGNOSE PROBLEMS YOU MAY HAVE, ALSO EXPLAINS HOW TO CHANGE OTHER PARTS THAT MAY NEED TO BE.  

flanman flanman
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/29/11
11:01 AM

I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu and I replaced the top gasket because was leaking antifreeze the car ran for about a month duringthis time I put fuel injector cleaner in the tank it ran for a week then one morning I went to get gas and when I got home turned the car off and then tried starting the car again and it wont start. I don’t see any lights on for the security light on what can it be??  

themaincomputer themaincomputer
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/11
Posted: 08/16/11
08:14 PM

I'm having a similar problem.  After sitting in my driveway for a week through some heavy rainstorms i had trouble starting the car.  It would run for a couple of seconds and then stall.  After a few tries it started but while I was driving the Theft System light came on and stayed on all the way to work.  After work I had the same trouble but the car eventually started.  Made it home and now it won't start.  Same as before runs for a few seconds.
Here are some things I noticed.
1. The interior lights do not come on.
2. The radio does not come on(clock does not either)
3. The electric door locks do not work
4. when the key is on the position the Theft System light stays on steady
I tried the Passkey Fix but it did not work the light never goes off
5. I can hear some random ticking from the engine while I was waiting for the Theft light to go out.
6. I hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to the on position.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike  

jerod_hurles2000 jerod_hurles2000
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/13
Posted: 06/12/13
06:52 PM

First thing you need to do if it wont start is see if the theft alarm light is blinking. If it is blinking then turn the key to the ACC position and leave it there for about 10 min, the light will stop blinking and then turn the key to the off position for a couple seconds then the car will start. If this continues then you will either need to have the ignition tumbler replaced or the body control module is bad. I have the same problem with my 01 malibu and I have found out after replacing the ignition tumbler and having the same problem my BCM is bad.  

shannon shannon
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/04/13
01:48 PM

I have a 2001 malibu and am having a problem starting it. It turns over and starts then shuts off. The gas gauge is not registering gas and radio don't work because of  gas gauge doesn't register the gas. The gauge works when it wants too. I'm thinking its a short somewhere.  Fuel pump turns on so it isn't that. Just had a alternator put in but that's not the case. Pls help me find out the problem. Thanks  

shannon shannon
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/13
01:48 PM

I have a 2001 malibu and am having a problem starting it. It turns over and starts then shuts off. The gas gauge is not registering gas and radio don't work because of  gas gauge doesn't register the gas. The gauge works when it wants too. I'm thinking its a short somewhere.  Fuel pump turns on so it isn't that. Just had a alternator put in but that's not the case. Pls help me find out the problem. Thanks  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Guru | Posts: 1857 | Joined: 03/13
03:02 PM

how long does it run before it shuts off??? is it instant?? like a second or two..

there are several things it could be...

do you have a copy of the Owners manual from the glove compartment?? yes or no..????

do you have a test light/circuit tester. so you can tell if a circuit is powered up or not..

HF 30779 Zpsc0772e7e

i have found these ignition switches have gone bad   they have spring loaded contacts.. and the surfaces get carbon on the contact surface..

this is going to take 2 people... one to handle the ignition key.. and other to hold the test lite probe against various fuses  while the other cycles the key on and off..

you will have to identify which fuses come on with the key...

the fuel pump fuse should get power for 2 seconds when the key comes on.. then turn off.. then come on again while cranking...

so the fuel pump fuse is the first place to check...

if you have a harbor freight tools nearby.. you will want one of these also...

Image 14147

this is a digital AMP meter.. but listed as a circuit tester.  you unplug a fuse.. move it to the side of this tool and plug into the fuse box..

this allows you to monitor the amp load of individual circuits.  comes in really handy...

lastly there are some tests to perform.. if the above does not locate a problem..

a voltage drop test to check to see if the wires that look like they are attached are really not..

engine running .. headlights on.. digital volt meter set to 20 volts DC..

1.   Negative battery to the Positive battery.. 14.1 to 14.8 volts DC.

2.   Negative battery post to the Engine..   0.04 volts DC max..

3.   Negative battery post to the body.. 0.02 volts DC max..

4.   Engine block to the body.. 0.02 volts DC max..

and please check the fuel pump ground connection.. its in the trunk or behind the back seat close to where the wires go thru for the fuel pump..

the fuel pump is powered by 2 devices. the fuel pump relay . that is controlled by the PCM...

and the 3 wire oil pressure switch.. these are in parallel..   both feed the fuel pump fuse..

more later but you now have some things to check  

Prev |  1 |  2
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com